MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest DVD-V,Concert/Music-Related?NO 5.1ALBUMS,DVD-A,QUADIO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nocomment - Polyradah : A Surround Pop Movie (5.1 DTS DVD-V + CD)

qsOyGhW.jpg

NTIqDaK.jpg

Takàcs Quartet, Beethoven: Complete String Quartets (Decca, 2017; 7 CDs, 1 Blu-Ray, 1 DVD)

Sadly, the (beautifully recorded) Beethoven quartets on the Blu-Ray are 2.0 only--albeit DTS-HD MA 2.0. But the bonus DVD, which features performances of Haydn's "The Bird" quartet, Schubert's "Death and the Maiden," and Beethoven's "Razumovsky," has a ho-hum 5.1 soundtrack.

decca4831317.jpg

I pulled this box set off the shelf last night--bought it 15 years ago, long before I was interested in surround--and discovered, much to my surprise, that the audio setup menu has a 5.1 option. Obviously an upmix, but it's fairly convincing concert-hall surround, especially considering the source material. (Volume 2, released some years later, has 2.0 only.)

51VTedwZQCL.jpg

P.S.: it took me forever to track down this thread. I love the new site, but I'm not convinced the new search engine works much better than the old one...

The Chieftains, Down the Old Plank Road: The Nashville Sessions In Concert (RCA Victor, 2003). Dolby Digital 5.1--ambient rears only. With a passel o' guest stars, including John Hiatt, Tim O'Brien, Earl Scruggs, Emmylou Harris, Aliosn Krauss, Del McCoury, and Gillian Welch & David Rawlings. Gimmicky but good.

918V7pUpnML._SL1500_.jpg

I never bought this as I had the albums, but what is the Surround like on the DVD?

not tried it yet mate, it only arrived tonight. tbh i'm in boxset catchup mode at the moment (during the general new release lull) and this is one I passed up on many times over the years.. but prices are creeping up so I shrugged "its now or never", Percy won't wait! :ROFLMAO:
I'll let you know how i get on when i get a chance to try it, later in the week hopefully (y)

I never bought this as I had the albums, but what is the Surround like on the DVD?

not tried it yet mate, it only arrived tonight. tbh i'm in boxset catchup mode at the moment (during the general new release lull) and this is one I passed up on many times over the years.. but prices are creeping up so I shrugged "its now or never", Percy won't wait! :ROFLMAO:
I'll let you know how i get on when i get a chance to try it, later in the week hopefully (y)

Put it at the top of the pile when you get it cuz I’d like to know too. I’ve come so close to buying this many times but since I already have all the individual CDs, I couldn’t justify the price for really just the DVD without knowing if the mix and fidelity were worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back