MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest DVD-V,Concert/Music-Related?NO 5.1ALBUMS,DVD-A,QUADIO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dejohnette, Hancock, Holland, Metheny In Concert - Recorded Live at The 1990 Mellon Jazz Festival - DVD-V 5.1 Dolby. Not discrete, but an excellent recording nonetheless with outstanding (goes without saying) performances. Serious jazz!

dhhm.jpg

I met Jack DeJohnette at the Blue Note in Greenwich Village. He was amazed that I knew who he was. He was there to see a double bill of Oregon and Kenny Wheeler with Peter Erskine and Gary Peacock, as we were. I sat at the foot of the stage, and said hi to Paul McCandless while he walked out to warm up. He was also amazed that I knew who he was.

I'm Only Looking - INXS

View attachment 18514

Actually, this is one that got backlogged in my room. I finally put it in.

Yes! This is AWESOME! Even though it's basically a stereo up mix, it sounds pretty good in DTS 5.1. And...it has my favs The One Thing and Don't Change. They were so skinny!! I love it!! :banana:

Thanks for the tip, Bright Side!!

Best Of Motown (DTS DVD).

image.jpg

01 Stevie Wonder – Uptight – Top Of The Pops 18.12.1965
02 Supremes – The Happening (Live) 29.04.1967
03 Four Tops – I Can’t Help Myself – Julie Felix Show 15.05.1965
04 The Jackson 5 – I Want You Back 1969 – Top Of The Pops 14.02.1970
05 R.Dean Taylor – Indiana Wants Me – Promo 1970
06 Daina Ross – I’m Still Waiting – Top Of The Pops 13.11.1970
07 Four Tops – Simple Game – Mounties Show 13.11.1971
08 Michael Jackson – Rockin’ Robin – Top Of The Pops 11.03.1972
09 Gladys Knight & The Pips – Help Me Make It Through The Night – Top Of The Pops 25.03.1972
10 Michael Jackson – Ben – Promo 1972
11 Temptations – Papa Was a Rolling Stone – Promo 1972
12 Syreeta – Harmour Love – TopPop 12.07.1975
13 Diana Ross – Theme from Mahogany – Promo 1975
14 Commodores – Three Times A Lady – Promo 1978
15 Commodores – Sail On – Promo 1979
16 Billy Preston & Seeryta – With You I’m Born Again – Top Of The Pops 01.03.1979
17 Smokey Robinson – Being with You – Promo 1981
18 Rockwell – Somebody’s Watching Me – Promo 1984

Best Of Motown (DTS DVD).

View attachment 19036

01 Stevie Wonder – Uptight – Top Of The Pops 18.12.1965
02 Supremes – The Happening (Live) 29.04.1967
03 Four Tops – I Can’t Help Myself – Julie Felix Show 15.05.1965
04 The Jackson 5 – I Want You Back 1969 – Top Of The Pops 14.02.1970
05 R.Dean Taylor – Indiana Wants Me – Promo 1970
06 Daina Ross – I’m Still Waiting – Top Of The Pops 13.11.1970
07 Four Tops – Simple Game – Mounties Show 13.11.1971
08 Michael Jackson – Rockin’ Robin – Top Of The Pops 11.03.1972
09 Gladys Knight & The Pips – Help Me Make It Through The Night – Top Of The Pops 25.03.1972
10 Michael Jackson – Ben – Promo 1972
11 Temptations – Papa Was a Rolling Stone – Promo 1972
12 Syreeta – Harmour Love – TopPop 12.07.1975
13 Diana Ross – Theme from Mahogany – Promo 1975
14 Commodores – Three Times A Lady – Promo 1978
15 Commodores – Sail On – Promo 1979
16 Billy Preston & Seeryta – With You I’m Born Again – Top Of The Pops 01.03.1979
17 Smokey Robinson – Being with You – Promo 1981
18 Rockwell – Somebody’s Watching Me – Promo 1984

Just a heads up, from a surround and sound quality PoV this is a humongous POS., the DTS track displays as 5.0 but is only (horrible sounding) stereo. AVOID!

Hoping to give it a spin tomorrow :)

Applause in the rears mainly :(

Edit: Herbie Hancock Future2Future DVD.

Edit: Reading back thru Dave Hampton's interview on the 5.1 on this tour I'm going to have to go through this disc again with a fine tooth comb and make sure I wasn't on the wrong soundtrack or something (pretty sure i wasn't but will double check before I consign it to the "meh" shelf!

I keep trying to have more people like this GREAT UNDERRATED BAND,
SAGA!!!!!!

Just got their DVD/2 CD concert from 2005, "Worlds Apart Revisited", in which they play their best selling LP "Worlds Apart" ("Wind him up" and "On the loose"..ok it was in 1981...)
71QGl5KFggL._SL1024_.jpg

Intriguing! How does it sound, Adam?

Won't have a chance to try it out for a bit Eric but I'm sure other folks here are familiar with his work and could chip in?
(also got the other two DVD's in this series by Subotnick in the mail, which include the Touch and Sidewinder albums, both of which I recognise from the old Quad listings, I think they were Columbia SQ/Q8 titles back in the day?).. should be interesting.. :)

Quick bit of feedback on these Subotnick discs as there has been a fair bit of interest here..
sound quality is variable with some softening of the older material but mainly very good..
the 4.0 Quad mixes are ultra discrete and superb, the 5.1's slightly less so but still very immersive and well worth exploring imho.

Volume 1 has a rather laggy DVD-A menu which makes initial navigation a bit of a drag but it's a minor nitpicky thing..
there's video extras I've yet to check out including interviews with the composer himself and so on.

In a nutshell I recommend these to anyone here interested in experimental electronic music.
These are challenging compositions in the main (to my ears at least) Easy listening it ain't and that's no criticism at all.. just a heads up to maybe try some samples out if you're at all unfamiliar with Subotnick.

Neil and Jack and me- KC
(it has a -PROBABLY UPMIXED- DD 5.1 !!!!)

Got myself a used car last month (My 98 Ford Ka was falling apart)...and I thought, I need a cool KCrimson Sticker for the car....so I saw they had the "modified" Gordian Knot as a Sticker (really nice!) , so I also bought the LP sticker set (not worth it, too small), but since I was paying for S&H from the US, I though I might as well get something else , so I got the DVD with my KCrimson "primers" that I had in VHS, The 3oAPP and the The Noise in one disc (I have mentioned that I have a Japanese Laserdisc of the Japan Concert which kicks ASS!)...REALLY COOL..
Curiously, the song order is different form the LD...

You also get the Sleepless video with a different song edit than the LP AND the 12"
AND some of Tony's b&w Road Photos with "Elephant Talk" from the Frejus concert as background music , ALMOST complete!!!

The 5.1 sounds upmixed but still, pretty cool!!!

(I have mentioned that I have a Japanese Laserdisc of the Japan Concert which kicks ASS!)...REALLY COOL..

One of the very first Laserdiscs with a digital track. Or was it *the* first? 30 years later (!!!) all I can remember is that the digital track was part of the reason I bought it. And I kinda remember that the analog track on that one was really noisy, so the digital was most welcome.

Back