MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest DVD-V,Concert/Music-Related?NO 5.1ALBUMS,DVD-A,QUADIO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 Euros NEW!!!

David Bowie

"A Reality Tour"

Shame that it's only Dullby...

David_Bowie_-_A_Reality_Tour_DVD.jpg

Loggins and Messina Live - Sittin' in Again at Santa Barbara Bowl (DVD)
Miraculously managed to catch it on Amazon US for 11 bucks!:banana:
Never heard them before, but as someone mentioned this title in other thread, I thought I'll give it a try especially knowing that Mr. Elliot Scheiner was involved in surround mix for this concert...
And what a wonderfull concert it is! Nice music, excellent video quality for DVD, great surround DTS 5.1, great fidelity! Very recommended. (y)

Attachments

• loggins_1.jpg
    loggins_1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 389
  • loggins_2.jpg
    loggins_2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 364
Snarky Puppy "Family Dinner Vol. 2" & Bill Laurance "Live at Union Chapel"

c6c176565d0a725c196807e59306c843.jpeg
7d3d4c2a5cd630a6bc920d0e3825b8bd.jpeg

Dolby 5.1 - only not particularly discrete - more like double stereo BUT, what incredible musicianship and video. If you are not familiar, Snarky Puppy is a jazz/ world/fusion outfit based in NYC via Denton, TX. They pretty much break down all genre barriers by way of playing the heck out of their instruments - it's an extended family of master musicians. Bill Laurance is the keyboard player for Snarky Puppy and is an accomplished performer in his own right.

Family Dinner brings together a very diverse group of world music stars and blends an amazing gumbo of styles - Peruvian, Finnish, African, straight out jazz fusion, progressive R&B, American Folk & Alt rock - it even features a spot from star booster David Crosby. These are both excellent recordings featuring musicians who clearly love their craft. Not to be missed!

Last edited:
From His Head to His Heart to His Hands - Michael Bloomfield 1 DVD-V/3CD includes 2 outtakes from Highway 61 Revisited. Yes, Bloomfield was on it. He was 16.
includes Sweet Blues, a film about Michael Bloomfield

Sail On - Kansas (CD/DVD set)

just in case anybody here is interested.. the 5.1 on the DVD in this set is a complete (ambient surround mix) letdown with abysmal sound quality, picture quality.. you name it.
I'm sure for Kansas fans its rare, collectable and delectable.. but for our purposes here the 5.1 is another in a long line of hugely missed opportunities.

here endeth this QQ public information service announcement! :D

just in case anybody here is interested.. the 5.1 on the DVD in this set is a complete (ambient surround mix) letdown with abysmal sound quality, picture quality.. you name it.
I'm sure for Kansas fans its rare, collectable and delectable.. but for our purposes here the 5.1 is another in a long line of hugely missed opportunities.

here endeth this QQ public information service announcement! :D

Another relic for the "DUSTbin" of life. Perhaps you can get £.99 for it at a tag sale.

But thanks for the non~recommendation, Adam.

I AM a Kansas fan and will certainly stay clear of this sonic/video mishap.

A bunch of stuff. Two that I should have had long before now:
  • Steely Dan, Two Against Nature: Steely Dan's Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party in Sensuous Surround Sound (I'm a Dan completist, so I don't know what my excuse is. But a recent revival of an old thread on QQ reminded me of it, and I was glad to find it cheap through Amazon Marketplace)
  • The Beatles, Anthology (20 bucks at Everyday Music - Portland's July Fourth sale! I'd been relying on a borrowed public library copy before this...)

And then one I didn't even know about until I also stumbled on it at Everyday Music:
  • The Flaming Lips, Christmas on Mars (haven't watched it yet--no spoilers!)

71gpP6QtGML._SL1050_.jpg

Last edited:
More Flaming Lips: U.F.O.s at the Zoo: The Legendary Concert in Oklahoma City! Though Dave Fridmann did what he could, the sound finally isn't that much different from your standard concert mix (i.e., mostly crowd noise and ambiance in the rears). Still a fair amount of depth & presence, just the same, although the 48/24 Dolby 5.1 makes it a little harsh and fatiguing on my middle-aged ears.

I've never caught a TFL concert, but this film really makes me want to. Lovely, spirited performances interspersed with fan & band interviews and, um, vaguely menacing shots of zoo animals. The whole thing has a big, happy, communal, psyche-DIY feel to it. I haven't tried to do my own mix of "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" yet....

The_Flaming_Lips-UFO_s_At_The_Zoo-Frontal.jpg

And completing the Flaming Lips 5.1 video trifecta: VOID (Video Overview in Deceleration), a collection of music videos spanning the years 1992-2005, featuring mixes by Elliot Scheiner, Dave Fridmann, and Michael Ivins and the loopy, DIY directorial aesthetic of Wayne Coyne. (Although there's the occasional name-brand director like Sofia Coppola, too.) Audio is Dolby 5.1 only, but it still sounds great--plus, it's the only way to hear studio versions of anything pre-Soft Bulletin in surround. Maybe we can hope for an updated Blu-Ray release with hi-res sound?

51RbxeEvewL.jpg

Last edited:
Gorillaz, Demon Days: Live at the Manchester Opera House. Got this cheap on Amazon Marketplace. Good concert, interestingly shot (in a way that captures the participatory vibe), and it's nice to have the visuals. The surround mix isn't exactly aggressive, but there's more than just ambiance going on in the rears--and until we get the first two albums in 5.1, this will have to do.

gorillaz-demon-days-live-descargandotudvd.jpg

Found this on the shelf in my office--a relic from my pre-surround days. (Who knew it had a 5.1 mix? I didn't even know a person should care about 5.1 back when I bought it!) Branford Marsalis Quartet, Coltrane's A Love Supreme Live in Amsterdam (2003). Immersive but not discrete--it's one of those "on-stage" mixes--and it's Dolby 48/24. (There's a 96/24 stereo mix included, though.) Also not Marsalis's only recorded run at A Love Supreme: I like the performance on the Stolen Moments: Red Hot + Cool anthology (1994) better, but this one is not slavish. Also: it's tastefully shot, and it's always good to see the group interplay of a live gig.

51HelJNG7dL.jpg

Back