DVD/DTS Poll Opeth - Heritage [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Opeth - HERITAGE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Well we'll have to agree to disagree on this then, because to me it sounds normal. Of course, studio polishing can make it sound more 'perfect' but those kind of dynamics can be achieved. I saw them perform much of this live and it had the dynamics intact. The quiet parts really were that quiet (which made it annoying when all I could hear were some folks chatting around me in the audience) and then the loud parts hit hard and loud.

I've also seen The Enid live (mix of classical and prog) and they perform some outstanding dynamics live.

I really like the dynamics of that album and the mix is very good.
I had no problem with the end of growls and the new musical direction of the Band.
This is a very unique album. (y)

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on this then, because to me it sounds normal. Of course, studio polishing can make it sound more 'perfect' but those kind of dynamics can be achieved. I saw them perform much of this live and it had the dynamics intact. The quiet parts really were that quiet (which made it annoying when all I could hear were some folks chatting around me in the audience) and then the loud parts hit hard and loud.

I've also seen The Enid live (mix of classical and prog) and they perform some outstanding dynamics live.

I have the vinyl; I do not agree. If you enjoy; great.

Rubbish? Clearly you know not of which you speak The loud parts are significantly boosted; FACT. Yes there are dynamics; but what you hear on this is not the natural dynamics of the music; there is an artificial element. It sound unnatural.
Hey keenly you said With Teeth (NIN) was messed up too when nobody else had any issues with it. Might be a hardware issue.

Hey keenly you said With Teeth (NIN) was messed up too when nobody else had any issues with it. Might be a hardware issue.

I said compressed with little dynamics. That is a fact; my set up is fine. Rip WT to Audacity; it is dynamically compressed to the point of digital clipping in areas. WT could sound 10x better with remastering; the mixes are fine.

Just listening to this album again. Came here to give it a 9, because it's in DTS so, you know, token minus one.

Turns out I already gave it the same score 5 years ago, for the same reason ;-) How time flies!

I'm enjoying the hell out of this album right now. The mix is very active, the sound quality is top, and man, I really dig the music. Right now even more than ever, dunno, perhaps I'm just in the mood for it at the moment, but especially the quiet parts are so hauntingly beautiful and at the same time present. People have said the music is kind of meandering, without a real destination, and I think it's true, and I love that about it. Great album.

Great disc! Belongs in any surround fan's collection who likes Progressive Rock... actually, belongs in any surround fan's collection period... the mix is ultra-discrete and enveloping (and it's a Steven Wilson mix, so there ya go); sound quality is clear and dynamic, although I feel like the drums should be a little more prominent (also, for some reason this is only playing as 5.0 on my system... no subwoofer engagement... still sounds good, though, just not as much "punch' as it could have"... FYI I don't use bass management and all speakers are set to "large"). The music itself is really wonderful... not really "metal" throughout, but filled with cool time changes, periods of light and dark, rocking and mellowness, keyboards, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, clean and melodic vocals... just beautiful, complex, haunting and mesmerizing. I love it. 9.

OK, well, I went ahead and bought used from Discogs. $10 and some change for shipping. Used, but who cares? Can't go wrong, right? :mad:@:

Just now listening to this disc...first time ever. In fact, first time listening to Opeth! WOW! I LOVE THIS DISC!!!
Heck, I'll vote a 9. Wonderful, exciting music, well executed and an amazing job Steven Wilson.

Just now listening to this disc...first time ever. In fact, first time listening to Opeth! WOW! I LOVE THIS DISC!!!
Heck, I'll vote a 9. Wonderful, exciting music, well executed and an amazing job Steven Wilson.

If you like that one, Gos, I HIGHLY recommend you pick up Pale Communion and Damnation. I also recommend you check out the heavier side of Opeth, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. :)

I just got this one, my first foray into Opeth, I've been put off by the 'growling' vocals. Though I recently got They Seem Like Owls and they have a bit of it on Strangers, and that's OK. Then I read the reviews here stating that there was none of that on Heritage. So I did a bit of listening on You Tube and decided I'd go for it and found a used one with an Amazon seller at a good price and am very glad I did, it's a very good mix and the music suits my tastes very well, I gave it a 9, except for a few voters it seems that's standard for this album here.

So.....a coworker was raving about this band whose name sounded vaguely familiar. I went to look them up to discover that Steven Wilson had done some 5.1 mixes for them. (How did I miss that???) After some research, I decided this album would be the best entry point into this band for me. The music is cool; they clearly love 70's prog but they're not ready to completely let go of the metal, so it's an interesting hybrid. Steven does his usual fine job spreading stuff around the room.

I need to give a few more listens so I can digest the music a bit more, but this is certainly nothing less than an 8 (unless you really dislike the music.) The mix is classic Wilson and the music interesting.

This album sounds unnatural. The loud parts are boosted significantly to give the impression of more dynamic, however it sounds unnatural. Give this a listen and pay attention to the difference between the loud and quite parts, it is not a natural progression. If the band were playing live in the studio, the loud parts would be 3-4db quieter, they have been boosted thus spoiling the sound.
The mix is great, but the sound is suffocated, swollen and it plays like a plastic bucket. It is necessary to very low the bass and add a little treble.

Back