Playing 5.1 on a 4.0 system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elguapo511

NOTE: I extracted this discussion from the Pink Floyd BluRay HiRez Poll entry, because it really belongs in it's own thread.
:-jon

forgive my ignorance, BUT do i have to have a subwoofer to enjoy this stuff.
I was just given the immersion box by my wife who is always listening to me rant about how cool my quad receiver is. Then when I tell her I cannot play any of the discs she laughs and points in my face.

Here is my set up. Pionerr qx949 with 4 kenwood 100 wat speakers.
So, can I simply hook up the 4 channels of the blueray/dvda player to this old receiver, flip it to CD-4 and turn up the bass?
or does the decoder not work like that?

My neighbor also offered to bring over his yamaha RX-V365 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v365_black__u/?mode=model) it is a bit more modern.
If I use this, can I just hook up the four speakers and leave out the sub?

at this point the only thing I have figured out are the PF coasters.

El Guapo, you'll need to go into the Blu-ray/DVD-A player's set up menu. That will allow you to play 5.1, as well. You will need to select "phantom center" and "no subwoofer" in the Blu-ray player's setup menu. The 4ch tape loop will work for connection to the QX 949, if that is available. Connect your player to "tape play."
The disc will not need CD-4 demodulating or any decoding. It is discrete to begin with.

Linda

I was just given the immersion box by my wife who is always listening to me rant about how cool my quad receiver is. Then when I tell her I cannot play any of the discs she laughs and points in my face.

So, can I simply hook up the 4 channels of the blueray/dvda player to this old receiver, flip it to CD-4 and turn up the bass?

My neighbor also offered to bring over his yamaha RX-V365 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v365_black__u/?mode=model) it is a bit more modern.

Yes, you can hook up just four speakers (full range) to the Yamaha in order to play the Quadraphonic mix. If you set the DVD/BR player's setting to Sub and Center off, it should also play 5.1 mixes with 4 speakers. You will need a DVD or BR player with RCA output for Quad set-ups, otherwise connect the BR player to the modern Yamaha receiver with HDMI cable.

Unfortunately AFAIK there is no HDMI to RCA Multi-Channel converter connector box made if HDMI out is only what your BR player offer's and you're trying to connect to a Quad set-up.

Oppo
does sell Blu-Ray/DVD players that do have Multi-Channel RCA output ideal for Quadraphonic set-ups. Connect DVD/BR player with RCA output to the Quad receiver's RCA Tape inputs with Sub and Center off on the player. Oppo's BR players will also play your DVD-A/SACD discs. You can also play regular DVDs with surround sound and DVD-A/SACD with a combo DVD-A/SACD player with bulit-in Dolby/DTS decoding and RCA Multi-Channel output for about $50 off of eBay.

Last edited:
Unfortunately AFAIK there is no HDMI to RCA Multi-Channel converter connector box made if HDMI out is only what your BR player offer's and you're trying to connect to a Quad set-up.

Oppo
does sell Blu-Ray/DVD players that do have Multi-Channel RCA output

indeed there are switch box with HDMI to 7.1 RCA analog converting.
unfortunately like an OPPO it isn't cheap too.
http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI switch 4x2_7_1audio.html

as for MC analog out on Blu Ray machines, there are list from which can be seen
many expensive like OPPO or Denon and not expensive like LG, Samsung, Sony,
Toshiba, etc. actually supplied with analog multichannel out connection
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050507

indeed there are switch box with HDMI to 7.1 RCA analog converting.
unfortunately like an OPPO it isn't cheap too.
http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI switch 4x2_7_1audio.html

as for MC analog out on Blu Ray machines, there are list from which can be seen
many expensive like OPPO or Denon and not expensive like LG, Samsung, Sony,
Toshiba, etc. actually supplied with analog multichannel out connection
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050507

Thanks Otto. Looked everywhere for one as the HDMI to RCA Mufti-Channel converter boxes subject has come up a few times before. Other members have also looked for one of these.

Last edited:
Looks cool but the piece I've never seen, is a converter of 7.1 analogue audio to HDMI...they only ever go as far as stereo audio to HDMI or (as in the case of the link above) they go in the other direction.

"This unique 4x2 HDMI Matrix switch routes both HDMI and 5.1/7.1 LPCM ( 8ch) Analog Audio."
isn't this mean that box works two way?

The converter is WAY COOL! My one suggestion is to give it a larger footprint, so that it can acommodate 8 RCA/phono jacks.

I realize that many have budgetary constraints. If you just get the Blu-Ray, you're missing a lot of great audio and video unavailable elsewhere. Forget the scarf, coasters and marbles.

Linda

if you're talking about Octavia, it has 8 analog RCA in and out.
i think such box makes sense for those who has really cool and expensive but outdated amplification which lack of HDMI interface.
for same price one can buy inexpensive modern receiver. also not really hard to find BD player for about $100-150 with 5.1 analog out.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to the box in Lucanu's post, which has stereo mini jacks.

Linda

if you're talking about Octavia, it has 8 analog RCA in and out.
i think such box makes sense for those who has really cool and expensive but outdated amplification which lack of HDMI interface.
for same price one can buy inexpensive modern receiver. also not really hard to find BD player for about $100-150 with 5.1 analog out.

I have also made a downmix of my Blu Ray and DVD-Audio/SA-CD players for 4.0. And togehter one of our technicians has built for me a down-mix box 3 to 2 for the front channels, if sometimes a downmix to a phantom center would not be possible in the player menue. Those of the 4-channel quadraphonmic fans, who don't own till now a Blu Ray player should buy now a Blu Ray player with analog outputs and RCA connection jackets. The newest Samsung player 6900 D has for example only HDMI outputs. The model 6900 C before has had those analog connections. So this new player can not connected to a quadraphonic amplifier or Receiver. One could await, that new models from other manufacturers will have also only HDMI connections.

Dietrich

Hi! I have Pioneer QX949 receiver and Toshiba SD900E DVD-Audio player with RCA 5.1 analogue output. So, I put the subwoofer section into fronts. Center channel section I put into rear channels. I do these things splitting RCA with RCA-splitters. rca.jpgrca1.jpg

Ah me...This means that I can't play a 5.1 disc in my CD-RW5000 through my SQD-2020 and get anything from it. Damn.

I would like to be sure about this but I'm not really so any reassuring/rebuttal is welcome:

1) With SACD and BD, you can mix the center channel into the front channel using the receiver/player capabilities, but you can't mix the LFE, .1, SW channel into the other channels.

2) With DVD-A you can't mix the center nor the SW channel into the other channels no matter what the receiver/player setup options seem to imply. The disc has to be specifically authored for 4.0, as an option.

Thanks in advance.

Back