HiRez Poll King Crimson - Discipline [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - DISCIPLINE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Fantastic work here all around. The particular guitar patterns of this album were tailor made for a fairly aggressive surround mix like this one. Buy this!

This isn't a review, but I noticed something in listening to the new issue of "Discipline" that might be of interest to others.

The first line of "Elephant Talk" ("Talk. It's only talk") is different from the original album in both Steve Wilson's remixes as well as the 12-inch mix and the rough mix. I've figured out that for the original album mix, they copied the vocal of same lyric from the second verse into the first verse. The vocal line is time shifted a bit so it's not merely an edit. I wonder why Steve didn't replicate that?

J. D.

When my son, one day, asks me, "daddy, what does a perfect surround mix sound like," I'll say, "son, it sounds like the job Steve Wilson did on 'Discipline."

Bravo. 10.

This one has definitly grown on me and the surround is as has been stated a demonstration disc, as well as demostrating the full capabilities of DVDA.

The mix is as everyone has raved, since I had never heard the LP back in the day and am partial to the earlier incarnations of KC I didn't know what to expect....music-wise. I was at least pleasantly surprised, this one will grow on me over time.

Originally Posted by Felix E. Martinez
Fantastic! Simply wonderful. Nothing else to say, except that I can finally hear the intricacies of what Tony Levin is doing with The Stick in the expanded soundstage.

Too bad they cropped off a bit of Curt Smith from Tears For Fears - he's visible in the front row of one of the live pics in the booklet. I have the KC box set from 1991 and the huge booklet in that set shows a wider version of that pic and he's very visible.

EDIT:
Here's a less cropped pic.

Hi Feliz, thanks for the uncropped pic...I myself would've NEVER guessed that Curt Smith was Krimson fan...Roland , on the other hand..maybe...

BTW nobody has confirmed my question regarding the "Frame by frame" coda..........

Sorry I meant "FeliX"...I just noticed my sloppy typing....

Killing time this afternoon, I've thrown on a few surround mixes. You'd think I might get tired of the sweet spot, but then I put THIS on. Holy smokes this is killer all around. I imagine there are some people for whom this music is just too weird, but man am I loving it. I liked it before, but the 5.1 mix takes it over the top. The clean, chorused strat gets me excited for the XTC coming next month.

Perfection. Brilliant music, mix and sonics.

I was a freshman at Berklee College of Music when this was first released. It was THE album of the year for many of us. We played it to death. This surround mix is just incredible. The music sounds even more fresh, challenging and rewarding than it did back in the day. For me the surround mix is now the definitive version of this album. It's that good.

From what I remember reading this was the album that Wilson did in surround first and it convinced Fripp to allow him to do the entire Crimson catalogue. Great stuff. Happy Holidays :)

Perfection. Brilliant music, mix and sonics.

I was a freshman at Berklee College of Music when this was first released. It was THE album of the year for many of us. We played it to death. This surround mix is just incredible. The music sounds even more fresh, challenging and rewarding than it did back in the day. For me the surround mix is now the definitive version of this album. It's that good.

Another Berklee alumni???
Cool!
I graduated from MP&E in Dec 89...

And YES, THIS IS THE DEFINITIVE MIX for this....

I think this is definitely the best post 70s Crimson album (although THRAK is fantastic) as well.
Hearing this great mix in 5.1 is one of the reasons I decided to start collecting the Talking Heads albums in surround (seeing as how this particular lineup of King Crimson reminded me a lot of the Talking Heads at times)
My favorite part of this album in 5.1 is definitely "Indiscipline", but all of the other tracks have their amazing moments in 5.1, particularly "Frame by Frame", and "Thela Hun Ginjeet".
I'm excited to (eventually) get the other albums in 5.1 from this 80s trilogy ("Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair"), and while those albums certainly aren't as good as this one is, I'm sure the 5.1 mixes will be as immersive as this one is! :)

I'm excited to (eventually) get the other albums in 5.1 from this 80s trilogy ("Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair"), and while those albums certainly aren't as good as this one is, I'm sure the 5.1 mixes will be as immersive as this one is! :)

Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair may not be as popular as Discipline, but they make a great trio of albums....can't wait!!!!

Requiem ends Beat sort of in a similar way to Indiscipline....

I also love the bookmark of TOAPP with Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part III....

Never knew KC as a youth, only as a quadragenerian. Seemingly bombastic to the casual listener, thought so myself initially, given a chance Discipline proves to be a consistent reward. Learn it and love it.

Back