HiRez Poll King Crimson - Discipline [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - DISCIPLINE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
The Wilson KC mixes are in fact great, that's easy to agree with. The reviews here have renewed my interest in picking up Discipline, so far I only have Starless (one of my favorites from long ago). I can also agree that some off their music only appeals to me at certain times. I do like the indulgent aspects of them most of the time, certainly not boring. Reminds me of musicians with big egos, not only is it OK, but perhaps necessary in order to reach new heights of originality.

Last edited:
This is one of the early KC releases that slipped through the cracks for me as I lost interest in their music at "Starless and Bible Black." Contrary to my expectations, I've really enjoyed this one, and of course Steve Wilson's surround mix is superlative.

I like the African polyrhythmic drumbeats, reminiscent of The Talking Heads' album "Remain in Light" that was released about a year earlier. Also, "Discipline" has some of KC's best vocals (always a weak point for the band after Greg Lake's departure.) It's just a lot of fun to listen to and has become even more enjoyable after repeated plays.

This is an easy "10" for me. One of my favorite albums of all time and the 5.1 mix only makes it better.

What a lineup of musicians. Pushing boundaries and hitting the mark on every track. And Steve Wilson, of course, gets it.

This album (as with all the King Crimson stuff) is new to me... I have to rank this one near the top in terms of content (alongside Lark's Tongues and Red). It sounds like a reinvention (or evolution?) of the band to me, similar to Yes releasing 90125. Every song is fantastic in stereo, but revelatory in surround... I'll use this as a demo disc. The cover is a good representation of the music: intricate interwoven threads of repeating patterns circling (at least for some of the songs). The musicianship is stellar and I love the quirky lyrics. The mix finds Steven Wilson in one of his more active moods... "Elephant Talk" is a highlight amongst highlights boasting a very active mix with various elements unpredictably shooting from one part of the room to another (laterally, back to front, diagonally). "Frame By Frame" isn't as active a mix, but all the elements are beautifully discrete. The lyrics of "Indiscipline" just bring a smile to my face... great heavy groove... "I Like It!". "Heat In The Jungle", uh, I mean "Thela Hun Ginjeet" has cool lyrics and features swirling and shifting guitar and sound effects. "The Sheltering Sky" sounds experimental and ethereal, yet at over 8 minutes I don't get bored. I really can't praise enough how great the music and mix are on the entire album... this is one of the few Crimson albums that didn't require any "work" for me to come to enjoy... the feeling was immediate and it hasn't waned after many listens. 10!

My gateway KC album and still a favorite! (y)

Same here. :)
Early high school. Instantly loved the guitar synth work! Picked up the blue and yellow ones as they were released next.

The older albums weren't really widely available in stores at the time (mostly out of print) so it took me a while to discover my favorite version of the band ('72 - '74). When I discovered the Red album in a used record store I don't think it left the turntable for a solid week!

I'm going with a "9". The 40th anniversary reissue series was my introduction to King Crimson and I've struggled with the music - there are individual songs that I really love on nearly every title I've purchased thus far ("I Talk To The Wind" from Court, "Cat Food" from Poseidon, "Book Of Saturday" from Larks' Tongues, "Walking On Air" from THRAK, etc), but others refuse to grow on me. That being said, this is probably the closest I've come to enjoying a full KC album - the only track that doesn't do it for me here is "Indiscipline". My favorite tracks would have to be "Frame By Frame", "Matte Kudasai" (gorgeous!), and "Discipline".

This music feels like it was made to be presented this way, particularly the intertwining electric guitar parts that are usually split between the front and rear speakers. That recurring passage in "Frame By Frame" where all the instruments drop out except the interlocking guitars that go in-and-out of sync with each other has to one of the coolest 5.1 moments ever.

Well I gave it a first spin this morning. As I've said before, this is far from my fave KC lineup and I didn't like this record when it came out. Over the years my opinion never changed much except to say "at least it's better than "Beat." This new 5.1 mix though has improved my opinion of the album a lot...quite frankly it's simply superb, the mix really brings the music to life.
I completely share the sentiment, it was the same experience for me, except that I think the change in opinion is even bigger.
I absolutely LOVE this album now, and I can not believe how easily I dismissed it when I first heard it. The mix is incredible, it really sounds like this album was recorded with surround in mind. Pristine sound, and the placement highlights the fantastic individual performances.

This album is essential, and although I will buy it again when there is an atmos version available, the DVD-A feels like the definitive version.

I completely share the sentiment, it was the same experience for me, except that I think the change in opinion is even bigger.
I absolutely LOVE this album now, and I can not believe how easily I dismissed it when I first heard it. The mix is incredible, it really sounds like this album was recorded with surround in mind. Pristine sound, and the placement highlights the fantastic individual performances.

This album is essential, and although I will buy it again when there is an atmos version available, the DVD-A feels like the definitive version.
This testament is so moving I found myself wanting to shop for one, despite having two on the shelf already!

Raised my vote from 8 to 10. This was also my gateway album to King Crimson, and I think the remix still sounds amazing after many years: it has much better fidelity than the original, great tonality, and improved drums sound. This is a clear 10 for the music, and also a 10 for the remix that can't be really improved if not through a new Atmos mix.

While I tend to listen to Discipline played live, therefore in stereo, this disc is a must-own for anyone who is into surround music. I remember buying my first surround system after listening to The Dark Side, this disc and Lizard (the Bolero in particular).

Back