Rush joins the "Box Set" crowd - Buy a box set, get a 5.1 disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/201...-to-Kings-Signals-in-5.1-coming-November-21st

Coming November 21st, 2011, three new Rush Box Sets, each one containing a 5.1 DVD-Audio disc of one of their albums. With a pre-order price of $45 (at Amazon), at least they're somewhat affordable. Each "box" has 5 of their albums in HiRez Stereo (!!!), with one title also in 5.1.

Here's the info from the link above:

On November 21st, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) celebrates the legacy of Canadian rock trio Rush with the release of three separate six-disc box sets which together spans their entire historic Mercury Records recording career. Each 'Sector' contains five of their 15 Mercury albums in chronological order, all transferred to high resolution 96kHz/24-bit and digitally remastered for optimal quality. In addition, each volume includes an exclusive booklet packed with unpublished photos, original album lyrics and credits, and features one album from each set specially remixed on DVD in high resolution 96kHz/24-bit, 5.1 surround sound and stereo, compatible with both DVD-Audio players and DVD-Video players. Each album is packaged in a replica vinyl mini-jacket of the original album release with all three box sets forming a Rush CD road case.

SECTOR 1: Rush - All The World's A Stage, and on DVD in 5.1, Fly By Night

SECTOR 2: A Farewell To Kings - Exit Stage Left, and on DVD in 5.1, A Farewell To Kings

SECTOR 3: Signals - A Show Of Hands, and on DVD in 5.1, Signals

Amazon has a deal for all three boxes at $135.09 for the serious Rush fan. (Not bad, considering it's 15 albums worth of music in 24/96 HiRez Stereo, and 3 in 24/96 HiRez 5.1)

Anyone have anymore info on these releases, please post here.

THANKS

Don't know about this until we get more info. 6 or 5 discs per box. One disc with Hi-Rez Stereo/5.1 DVD-Audio at 24/96 sound, very good! The rest are CDs remastered from new 24/96 transfers, but AFAIK are still 16/44.1. So buy 5 CD's and get one DVD-A? What if they put out individual CD/DVD-A or with BR of 2112 and other titles later? Still not a bad price, especially if one doesn't own all their titles.

Perhaps this is a way to introduce DVD-A to the average Rush fan not familiar with the format. It should be interesting to see if the Hi-Rez Stereo 24/96 is compatible with any DVD player. Either way good news, especially if the price for boxes go below $40 shipped from Amazon. Sector 1 [5 CD Box Set] [Box Set]

Yes, affordable, and moving in the right direction. I guess eliminating marbles and scarves was sufficient cost cutting.....

Strange that these box sets are nearly $20 more at Amazon.ca. The Pink Floyd box sets have been cheaper at Amazon.ca than at Amazon.com. The CDN dollar has recently gotten a bit weaker than the US dollar, but not enough to justify this %40 price difference.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005ORVMT2?tag=estengercom-20

At that price, I think I'll wait and see what these set are like rather than pre-order. I wasn't crazy about the Moving Pictures mix, and I already have all of these CDs already.

i did put it in my order, (just in case) at amazon.ca
anyway at anytime can cancel, so will see.

Strange that these box sets are nearly $20 more at Amazon.ca. The Pink Floyd box sets have been cheaper at Amazon.ca than at Amazon.com. The CDN dollar has recently gotten a bit weaker than the US dollar, but not enough to justify this %40 price difference.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005ORVMT2?tag=estengercom-20

At that price, I think I'll wait and see what these set are like rather than pre-order. I wasn't crazy about the Moving Pictures mix, and I already have all of these CDs already.
it was $42.99 per box :)

The good thing, 5.1 surround versions on DVD-A. The bad thing, they want you to buy all the rest in stereo too.
Maybe next year there will be a box set with only the (3) DVD-A's (wishful thinking)

So, any guess how and if they will release the other albums in 5.1? Any guess why these? I think I would have chosen different ones from each box era...

Still...grateful if these are DVD-A's. Happy with the Moving Pictures, though still wonder what Schiener or Wilson would have den with that one...

Sorry, but all these box sets are starting to piss me off. I won't buy.
Didn't they mention 2112 was coming to Surround?
And not just that - they wanted to redo ALL their albums?

Well, where is it?

Yes, affordable, and moving in the right direction. I guess eliminating marbles and scarves was sufficient cost cutting.....

What, no scarf!?! No marbles?! No sale! Consumers have to make a stand, we want marbles!!! er... make that surround sound!

Wow, Signals and Farewell in 5.1!! Those are two of my top 5 favorite Rush albums.

Not so "wow"? Requiring me to buy two box-sets to attain them. :( I used to be a massive Rush fan, for nearly 20 years actually, but kinda burned out on them by the mid 90s and actually sold off most of my CDs, so the thought of buying boxes with only one album apiece I actually want bothers me. Plus I am not in a financial position right now, and probably for the next couple of years, to blow that much $$ on one band. I'll have to hope they sell the multichannel versions separately, otherwise, no 5.1 Rush for me.

I'm kinda let down here...
My favorite is "Hemispheres", and no 5.1... :(

So- I guess the rest of the Multitracks were either missing and/or unusable??
Sector 2 sounds the most appealing to me...

Hemispheres is also my favorite, I don't think this announcement precludes us from seeing that one in the future. At least I hope not. I imagine sales of these will dictate whether more are released. John S.

Hmm good news , bad news...it's like foreplay without a real orgasm at the end...we'll see!!!

Glad to see your mind is off of that back problem!!! :smokin

The box sets are getting a bit overdone but I will support the 5.1 efforts.

Funny, I bought a scarf at Macy's and it came with a Pink Floyd BRD

I can see it now as future headlines read,"We have never seen so many middle aged men lineup before Macy's even opens up and from asking them what they are lining up for, they all say they are coming to buy scarf's and the promo BRD of course".

As far as the way the Rush surrounds are being sold, I don't like it either and will wait till they are sold as individual copies or hopefully as a surround box(like Genesis,Doors,Talking Heads etc). This is just getting silly the way these things are getting packaged.

peter

It seems like the record companies have infiltrated our message boards and have concocted a scheme to pry as much money as possible away from us while giving us only a portion of what we want! Aqualung, Quadrophenia, etc...

In this economy I just don't see that many people rushing out to buy $120 plus box sets, especially when several competing ones have come out at the same time.
Except for the nut cases in this forum :)
Perhaps a year from now we'll be picking them up at BestBuy for $30, if they haven't gone bankrupt by then or been taken over by the occupy wall street people.
Or maybe there will be separate bluray releases. Who knows?

Glad to see your mind is off of that back problem!!! :smokin

The box sets are getting a bit overdone but I will support the 5.1 efforts.

Thanks..I had to snap out of it sooner than later!
The Krimson DVD-As have helped a LOT too!!.

Yes, when I get a job I'll probably get a couple of the boxes...hopefully, as they have pointed out in here, they'll be released separately!!!
Cheers!!

I like what little music I've heard from Rush and am really excited to see new 5.1 titles being released. I'm thinking about buying these since the only title in any of these boxes that I have is "Farewell to Kings" so there's very little overlap for me and I could stand to have more Rush in my collection. $45 for five CDs and a DVD-A doesn't seem so bad.

Then again, what on earth was the label smoking when they decided on this release strategy? It's complete nonsense! I have to buy FIVE albums on CD to get ONE on DVD-A?!?! What the hell?! What if I JUST wanted the DVD-A? Not to mention the huge eff-you to fans of the band who already have this music.

At the end of the day, this release isn't terribly high priced or exclusive, but the configuration is so moronic, counter-intuitive, and over-priced for the one thing that I REALLY want, I just don't know what I want to do.

I give up. I'm going to go play with my DSotM marbles while I order the Auqualung box. *sigh*

Back