Rush joins the "Box Set" crowd - Buy a box set, get a 5.1 disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... one could think along the lines of "Buy the DVD-A for $40, and get FIVE FREE CDs and a Box!" :)

Exactly! I paid less than CDN$140 (including HST) for all three sets from Amazon.ca, and shipping was free ... for 15 CDs and 3 multichannel disks. That is less than ten bucks a CD, and the multichannel disks are a bonus.

Since I have been paying about $60 each for stereo SHM-SACDs, that is actually a pretty great deal. If we don't buy them when they release them, then we are really telling the labels that there is no market out here.

Hello. So I'm reading reviews at Amazon regarding the Sector Boxes, and they are mentioning playback issues with the DVD-A's (in particular the Kings DVD-A). Anybody have problems with this? I won't be thrilled with this. Reviewers mention their BDP-83's (which is what I have) encountering the problem. I may go to my Denon DVD-2900 for playback. Maybe the BDP'ers haven't upgraded the firmware- who knows. I am reluctant to even open the dang thing, but I doubt that will happen. ARGHHH!. Help! Anyone?
Thanks.

Earlier in the thread it said the box contained 24/96 stereo disks, and one dvd-audio disk. But now you're saying it has 5 CDs instead of the 24/96 stereo disks. So you get just one album in high resolution then?

Earlier in the thread it said the box contained 24/96 stereo disks, and one dvd-audio disk. But now you're saying it has 5 CDs instead of the 24/96 stereo disks. So you get just one album in high resolution then?

good point. i'll be ready to pay for each box about $100 to $125 if all 5 albums in each box would be offered as 5.1 @ 96/24.
$40-50 for single album at retailer is too high. for such extra like 5CDs i have no use and won't them even for free. already
have bunch of releases DVDA+CD and perhaps one wouldn't find even my fingerprints on those CDs.

Hello. So I'm reading reviews at Amazon regarding the Sector Boxes, and they are mentioning playback issues with the DVD-A's (in particular the Kings DVD-A). Anybody have problems with this? I won't be thrilled with this. Reviewers mention their BDP-83's (which is what I have) encountering the problem. I may go to my Denon DVD-2900 for playback. Maybe the BDP'ers haven't upgraded the firmware- who knows. I am reluctant to even open the dang thing, but I doubt that will happen. ARGHHH!. Help! Anyone?
Thanks.
The latest beta firmware should help you out. https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...A-FAREWELL-TO-KINGS-DVD-A&p=137247#post137247

I didn't know about these box sets until now. Sorry, but I no longer purchase CDs. Haven't in almost 2 years. If they released this set as 5 CDs & 5 DVD-As like the Doors box set, I would consider it. But not one multi-channel album per box. I would bet that they don't sell half of the copies they intend to sell. Bad marketing move, period.

I sure hope they continue with the BD Multi-Channel releases.

I've come to the conclusion that these boxes are being used to spike the ball prior to the release of the separate DVD-A titles starting in 2012. By putting DVD-A discs into MANY more hands (maybe they hear DTS at best) now, it should create at least some more interest and better sales. I have to think that many will tinker around with these included DVD-A discs and figure out how to play them and be more prepared and interested in additional titles.

I have no better theory for the timing and configuration of the boxes. Much as I want these three, I'm waiting for further developments.

It makes more sense to me that Blu-ray will be the format of choice for the producers of high-rez audio; not dvd-a, if indeed there are to be high-rez releases. There is more hardware of that format in the hands of consumers. Blu-ray discs will be much more accessible than dvd-a.

It makes more sense to me that Blu-ray will be the format of choice for the producers of high-rez audio; not dvd-a, if indeed there are to be high-rez releases. There is more hardware of that format in the hands of consumers. Blu-ray discs will be much more accessible than dvd-a.

God only knows what the people behind this were thinking, but one argument might be that it's presumed that many more people have a DVD player, and perhaps these Rush fans will throw the disc in just to see what it's about and have a pleasant surprise that might create new interest. On the other hand, I can imagine someone playing it and thinking, "No video? What's the point?" (which is what I imagined happened a lot when DVDA was going strong). Like I said, God only knows!

God only knows what the people behind this were thinking, but one argument might be that it's presumed that many more people have a DVD player, and perhaps these Rush fans will throw the disc in just to see what it's about and have a pleasant surprise that might create new interest. On the other hand, I can imagine someone playing it and thinking, "No video? What's the point?" (which is what I imagined happened a lot when DVDA was going strong). Like I said, God only knows!

I was thinking that maybe they'd eventually release them all on BD when the dust settles. I suppose they could easily have put them on DVD-V, so they should at least be commended for doing hez. I definitely think BD is the future (present?) as things look now. Note to Alex--please redo signals 5.1--and let SW mix it!!!

If you really think about it, couldn't they have put the content of all 3 box sets on one BD?

A BD with as many albums as possible would be awesome in 5.1!! I'd pay for a Blu-ray "virtual" box :phones

Hello. I couldn't wait for further developements. I would hate not to get these, only to find there would be no separate 5.1 release. That and how much will the stand alones cost as compared to the boxes. One would hope way less ($30-ish, plus S&H), but I've spent the dinero already on Sector 2 and 3, and am happy to get the other discs (again!). BTW, the CD's are the best sounding I've heard to date (IMO). Thanks.

A trailing thought: The Rush MOVING PICTURES DVD-A was listed at $29.99.

These 3 boxes are available for about $13 more than that. It's a pain that to get the surround DVD-A, one has to buy the box, but it's really not that much more than the single issue Moving Pictures DVD-A, and it's one heck of a lot less than the "other" over $100 boxes that came out at the same time. Are the 5 CDs, the book, and the box itself worth $13?

Hmmmm........

Hello. VERSIONS! Thanks for calling me on the carpet. My wording is usually precise. Sorry. I'll try to do better next time. And the time after that.........Thanks.

A trailing thought: The Rush MOVING PICTURES DVD-A was listed at $29.99.

These 3 boxes are available for about $13 more than that. It's a pain that to get the surround DVD-A, one has to buy the box, but it's really not that much more than the single issue Moving Pictures DVD-A, and it's one heck of a lot less than the "other" over $100 boxes that came out at the same time. Are the 5 CDs, the book, and the box itself worth $13? Hmmmm........

not really so. initial offer started at $24.95
after begining of the sales price was dropped to $15+ (that's why i purchased 2 sets)
then, before print was sold out, price wen up to $20+
now seems like amazon has in stock european prints. at least packaging slightly differ from previous.
my point is, i would love to have all 3 DVDA and ready to pay let say $75 for such box or as separate.
but i ABSOLUTELY not interested in CDs at all. and vice verse, those who has interest in CDs, most likely
don't care about DVDA
at some facilities they put those discs into box and have paid to those who did this. what a freaking big
deal beside of those boxes, send to retailers discs as is? or if one wanna fancy way, pack up 3 boxes
with CDs and 1 with DVDAs.

mathematic is simple, to get it now, i forced to pay about $150 or twice up, what i'm willing to spend.
could be for someone 75 bucks just a peanuts but not for me and i believe majority out of there.

Back