Listening to now (In Surround!) - Volume 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Band Sound - Kenichi Tsunoda Big Band (SACD).

Incredible recording, sound quality is absolutely breathtaking.. the mix is lovely, surprisingly some discrete elements with a mostly overall big stereo presentation which suits the music.. but the sound, wow, it's Fab! :D

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia DVD-A

The one that gave me the surround virus. What a wonderful sickness!

IMG_20140426_113604 vsm.jpg

QuAudiophiliac - Frank Zappa (DVD-A).

Lots of very nice active surround mixes.. contents variable.. enjoyable for the most part.. mastered pretty loud overall.. I'll need to revisit it, there's lots of layers going on easy to miss stuff first time round :eek:

Network - Saga (Dolby D 5.1 DVD-V).

Thanks to the Kap'n for this one (y)

Nice surround mix (very active, room panning & speaker ping pong,etc).. I love it!

Edit: On certain tracks the drums sound pretty muffled and lacking definition (could that be Dolby or just the recording itself?) shame... I'm enjoying this.

Cool!
Yes, I think it's the Dullbee that can't handle the transients...Señor Neil Wilkes would give you a better explanation...

There is no cure, but I'm on a great treatment schedule. The doctors believe that it may be a parasite that burrows into the ear and constantly whispers "I bet that would sound good in surround". They say that good multichannel mixes will make the parasite go dormant. You can't use the same mix too many times or the parasite will build a resistance, so you need to rotate new mixes regularly. Right now I'm self medicating with prescriptions from Dr. Wilson and others in the field until the disease is formally recognized and more treatments hit the mainstream.

I think I need another treatment... maybe I'll try Dr. Jackson's medicine this time... :sun

Listening to Bob Dylan Blood on The Tracks SACD, first listen. Good sound quality but I will have to acquire a taste for the songlist. And if Adam/Fredblue is reading this; yes I did order Slow Train Running. If you like this album and the songs the price is super cheap, I picked up this one for under $5(used in very good condition)which included the shipping fees HERE

Listening to Bob Dylan Blood on The Tracks SACD, first listen. Good sound quality but I will have to acquire a taste for the songlist. And if Adam/Fredblue is reading this; yes I did order Slow Train Running. If you like this album and the songs the price is super cheap, I picked up this one for under $5(used in very good condition)which included the shipping fees HERE

The Blood On The Tracks surround is one of a handful of Elliot Scheiner 5.1's I'm not fussed about (the man can't get it right every time!). The Slow Train Coming 5.1 is sooooo much nicer in every respect, you'll see :)

There is no cure, but I'm on a great treatment schedule. The doctors believe that it may be a parasite that burrows into the ear and constantly whispers "I bet that would sound good in surround". They say that good multichannel mixes will make the parasite go dormant. You can't use the same mix too many times or the parasite will build a resistance, so you need to rotate new mixes regularly. Right now I'm self medicating with prescriptions from Dr. Wilson and others in the field until the disease is formally recognized and more treatments hit the mainstream.

I think I need another treatment... maybe I'll try Dr. Jackson's medicine this time... :sun

Haha! (y)

I'm a big fan of Dr.Scheiner's multichannel medicine! :p

Studio 150 - Paul Weller (SACD).

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2421

Seriously underrated surround mix imho.

If ultra discrete isn't your cup of tea - avoid, if however it's your bag you're gonna lap this up..

Lead vocals are hard in the centre, very dry with no reverb into the rears, which gives the mix a perfect intimacy that suits the material down to the ground.. lots of lovely isolated strings, synths, guitars, percussion, etc in the rears with rhythm section and lead instruments mostly upfront.

Superb unsung surround music mix (y)

Can still be found on Amazon for under a tenner too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0002UOJ8C

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 61
New Sound Experience - Various Artists (SACD).

Universal Records Promo Surround Disc ft.

1. Jamie Cullum: All at sea
2. Marvin Gaye: Let’s get it on
3. Mark Knopfler: 5:15 a.m
4. Blof: Omarm me
5. Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
6. Toto: Africa
7. The Who: Pinball wizard
8. Bob Dylan: I Want You
9. Roger Waters: Another brick in the wall
10. 3 Doors Down: Away from the sun
11. Boudewijn de Groot: De vondelingvan Ameland
12. Norah Jones: Don’t know why
13. Diana Krall: Temptation
14. Dulce Pontes & Ennio Morricone: Your love
15. John Hiatt: Have a little faith in me
16. Trijntje Oosterhuis: All of me

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2778

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 62
Pleasures of the Dance: a collection of Norwegian Carpenter songs compiled by Oscar Trict

Nah, just kidding. :) It's still Gentle Giant 'Power and the Glory' on infinite repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back