Listening to now (In Surround!) - Volume 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's worth owning. Stand Up is my favorite Tull. Benefit is damn good, too. They need to re-do Benefit, since it's fidelity never was great. It was my first Tull. I'd love to see Living in the Past re-done, but it's bits and pieces, so gathering the masters would be a chore in itself. I'll stick by the MoFi 2 Gold CD as being the best Living. Carnegie uses all three front channels. Good bonus tracks, too. BBC stuff and singles. Disc 2 is the 2ch Carnegie. Great performance, decent surround sound, good (not great) fidelity, nice separation. Get it.

What's you opinion on this one QL? I liked what I'd heard before of this in stereo. Is the surround version worth seeking out? Pity there is no surround version of Benefit as that is my favourite
Tom

Thanks Linda. Pretty much what I wanted to hear. Benefit (named my first band after that one) has always been my favourite closely followed by Living in the Past and Songs from the Wood. I agree with your assessment of the sound quality as well. A bit of remixing is warranted too I think to remove some of early 70s excesses found therein or in the very least tone them down a little. I find the feedback in "Time for Everything" almost jarring now. Just a reduction in the amplitude of the feedback would be welcome
Tom

Living in the Past is my second favorite Tull, closely behind Stand Up. The live tracks, including the added ones on the MoFi 2 CD version, have always left me cold. Live Tull in person is Fantastic, though their live recordings tend not to move me. Benefit would be my third favorite. Obviously, I love the early (second?) period best. BTW: if you dig Ian's flute work, be sure to check out Rahsaan Roland Kirk, who authored "Serenade to a Cuckoo." Kirk is an obsession of mine. He also guested on Joni Mitchell's "For Free." He was able to play multiple woodwinds simultaneously, utilizing a circular breathing method. Kirk clearly influenced Ian.

I recently read some of recording engineer John Burns' comments on the sound of Aqualung, which were included in the 40th Anniversary box's book. Referring to Aqualung: "Ian wanted everything dry. ... After Benefit, which was quite 'swimmy' (reverberant) he wanted the backing track to be dead and dry as a dodo. There was a certain amount of echo on the vocals and guitar (on Aqualung.)"

Benefit begins with "With You There," which is as bouncy as a racquetball court. Yet, it is engaging, and in my estimation, it works. The best sounding Benefit is the UK import LP, which I sadly traded in when I acquired the CD. It has "Alive and Well and Living In," instead of "Teacher," which is included on the US version. Even that pressing leaves much to be desired sonically. I sense that Benefit is mostly forgotten by those other than hard core Tull fans. Still, in my mind, it is THE prime candidate for remastering. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Sorry to have taken the discussion off topic.

Thanks Linda. Pretty much what I wanted to hear. Benefit (named my first band after that one) has always been my favourite closely followed by Living in the Past and Songs from the Wood. I agree with your assessment of the sound quality as well. A bit of remixing is warranted too I think to remove some of early 70s excesses found therein or in the very least tone them down a little. I find the feedback in "Time for Everything" almost jarring now. Just a reduction in the amplitude of the feedback would be welcome
Tom

Hadn't fired up my Quad system in a while...

Brecker Brothers- Some Skunk Funk SACD
Deep Purple- Live at the BBC 1974 DVD-A SQ conversion (courtesy of someone here, thanks!)...Ian Paice in the rears..wild!!

Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys - Arlo Guthrie CD-4
Nothing Like the Sun - Sting DTS
Bachman Turner Overdrive Live DVD-A
Fingers - Airto SQ
Beethoven 8 - Barenboim/Berliner Staatskapelle DVD-A
Astrud Gilberto Now DVD-A
What's New - Linda Ronstadt DVD-A
Givin' It Up - George Benson & Al Jarreau guest star-McCartney DVD Dullby
I Will Play Music on My DVD Player Silverline compilation w/VERY DISCRETE MIXES (really!) DVD-A
Surf's Up - Various DVD-A

Greatest Hits - Friends of Distinction CD-4
Get Your Wings - Aerosmith SQ
Chapter 4 Live - Gato Barbieri QS hey!
Umixit - Billy Joel promo
The Singer - Liza Minnelli Q8
Brahms/Stravinsky - Hilary Hahn/Mariner/Academy of St. Martin SACD 5.1
Movie Album - Ramsey Lewis Q8
By the Way - Frumpy SQ
Vaughn Williams: 1 & Sea Symphony - Spano/Atlanta SACD 5.1
Backhand - Keith Jarrett QS
Strange Days - Doors (Perception) DVD-A
Wrapped in a Dream - Spyro Gyra - SACD 5.1
Live at Butler University - Stan Kenton SQ
Split Coconut - Dave Mason SQ

Grazin' in the Grass is a Gas. Can you dig it?

Lilium - Short Stories - DVD-A
Talking Heads - More Songs .... - DVD-A
Gentle Giant - Interview - DTS DVD
Magenta - Seven - Dullby DVD
ELO - ELO - DTS DVD
Marillion - Seasons End - SPEC Upmix
Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead - DVD-A
James Taylor - Hourglass - SACD
Mickey O's Tubal Ligation - Quad SACD
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark - CD-4 to DVD-A
Jeff Wayne's WOTW - SACD
Weird Al - Straight Outta Lynwood - Dullby Dualdisc ('cause I'm "White and Nerdy")
Gentle Giant - Free Hand - with rear Channels Swapped

For the "Favourite Surround Bonus Tracks Thread," I revisited the bonus tracks and a few non-bonus tracks of several titles. https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...urround-quot-Bonus-Tracks&p=144445#post144445

Though all the discs listed below are wonderous in fidelity and mixes, I was particularly struck by the Elton John stuff. Some very juicy bonus tracks, and some really great mixes. The Elton John's definitely are in need of more auditions! Yellow Brick is fantastic. Tumbleweed is even better! It's his best! :banana:

Portions of:
Perception - Doors DVD-A
Elton John SACD 5.1 (All EJ's on this format)
Tumbleweed Connection
Madman Across the Water
Honky Chateau
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD 5.1
Captain Fantastic
Pet Sounds - Beach Boys DVD-A
Motown - Michael McDonald SACD 5.1
Fragile - Yes DVD-A
Brain Salad Surgery - ELP DVD-A
Tommy - Who SACD 5.1
Genesis Boxes - SACD & DVD-A
Cheap Thrills - Big Brother SACD 5.1
Nightfly Trilogy - Donald Fagen MVI DTS DVD (I also own them individually on DVD-A)

Linda, when are you going to have us over for a listening party? :)

I'd be lucky to get that much surround heard in a month! But there's hope for me yet. This is quite a fun listen today:

ELPQ8.jpg

Hats off to FLOYDFLUSH for this outstanding effort! Granted, it'll never be a silk purse but the energy transcends the source material at times. Nice usage of rare picture sleeves and other related artwork. Q8 #2 pitch still dodgy but what can one do? (strap Greg Lake in a chair and see how he feels about it)

EDIT: It appears all three parts ore on this DVD-A so that's a plus.

Moya Brennan (ex-Clannad) - Two Horizons SACD

Pretty decent surround mix and a nice change from your guitar orientated stuff.

We did take a brief TL trip and sampled some tracks off of these:

BS&T - Greatest Hits SQ DVD-A
CCR - Gold CD4 DVD-A
James Taylor - One Man Dog QR DVD-A
Led Zeppelin - Presence upmix H123 DVD-A
Jethro Tull - Aqualung SW BD DVD-A

Genesis - Three Sides Live DTS DVD "film" + audio only tracks (including these must rectify the behind the scenes film dialog over some tracks in running order)

Not widescreen (gray bars) but definitely improved picture quality from the laserdisc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back