Memory Lane: People/Places/Things I Miss MUSIC RELATED ONLY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
People/places/things I miss: new releases in Quad, Miles Davis, CD's (coming soon), John Lennon, customer service, Jerry Garcia, Q8 mix tapes, Jimi Hendrix, Korvettes, Laura Nyro, Q4 mix tapes, Don Ellis, Tower Records, Louis Armstrong, Mission speakers (in US), Frank Zappa, Midnight Special, Janis Joplin, Record Stores, Phil Ochs, CD Stores, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Allied Radio, George Harrison, side 4, Jim Morrison, simulcasts, Muddy Waters, knowlegable people in record stores, Johnny Cash, Pacific Stereo, employee discounts, Keith Moon, record/head shops, Karen Carpenter, underground FM radio, Marvin Gaye, Peaches, Wes Montgomery, sales contests, Sir Georg Solti, Clive Davis running Columbia Records, Roosevelt Sykes, product training seminars, Henry Mancini, videos on MTV/VH-1, installing KILLER home-fi in cars w/inverters, Don Kirchner's Rock Concert, dbx LP's, Howlin' Wolf, Virgin Megastore, Vladimir Horowitz, demo tapes, Herb Alpert & Jerry Moss running A&M Records, Mike Bloomfield, Soul Train, Randy California, folk rock, Spike Jones, Newark Electronics, Tuli Kupferberg, mail order, Red Nichols, Quad-only releases, Bob Marley, Tweeter, Nilsson, promotional LP's, Buddy Holly, electronics catalogs, Stan Getz, jazz fusion, Herbert von Karajan, Lafayette Radio, ABC (TV) In Concert, Harry Chapin, mix cassettes, Ian Dury, Olson Electronics, hifi clinics/testing, organs in rock groups, Tampa Red, tube/transister output stages, Jim Croce and the sweet smell of rosin core solder.

OMG!! Have we lost that much? Pardon me while I go cry.

Linda
It's 1900 YESTERDAY

70's FM radio, Quad radio, Military audio stores, searching through Schwann's catalog at the PX, having 3 copies of favorite LP's, 14 or so Rock Superbowl concerts in Orlando, roadie life when it was good, working at a "rock" club, watching Molly Hatchet drink Wild Turkey like it was beer, The Outlaws band with Henry Paul, Spirit and Randy California, going to concerts in Tampa then driving across Florida to Vero Beach to watch the sun come up, crisp smell of new audio gear breaking in, toting huge wads of small bills carefully saved to the audio store, having "the place to go" for music listening back when.
Could probably write all day.

(Jim Croce and the sweet smell of rosin core solder.)

Linda:

Is there a story here that you are willing to share? Enquiring minds want to know!:mad:@:

Justin

And Barney Miller is up there too. Mike Post I think it was did a bunch of great TV themes...

Damn, don't get me started. The older I get, the bigger the "miss" pile gets. Where to start?

How about 1967 AM Radio, when you could hear ALL types of music at ALL times, everything from the Beatles, to Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Doors, Stevie Wonder, Van Morrison, Aretha Franklin, Hollies, Wilson Pickett, Jefferson Airplane, and many more. A wide, diverse playlist that exposed young minds to MANY different types of music.

Today, it's mostly oldies (all of the above tunes), and maybe 10-20 current tunes if you're lucky enough to hear them. Radio is pretty much shot as a music discovery system.

Damn, don't get me started. The older I get, the bigger the "miss" pile gets. Where to start?

How about 1967 AM Radio, when you could hear ALL types of music at ALL times, everything from the Beatles, to Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Doors, Stevie Wonder, Van Morrison, Aretha Franklin, Hollies, Wilson Pickett, Jefferson Airplane, and many more. A wide, diverse playlist that exposed young minds to MANY different types of music.

Today, it's mostly oldies (all of the above tunes), and maybe 10-20 current tunes if you're lucky enough to hear them. Radio is pretty much shot as a music discovery system.

Jon - my sentiments exactly! To add to that - how about some of the great voices of FM radio - Scott Muni, Rosco, Alison Steele, Jonathan Schwartz, Vin Scelsa, Zacherle - and that's just from NYC- these guys weren't just voices they were tastemakers. Some held on longer than others (Scelsa still does his "Idot's Delight" show Saturday nights on WFUV FM (Fordham U radio). When I was a teen, I used to place my little am/fm radio under my pillow and go to sleep to the sexy, dulcet tones of "The Nightbird" - Alison Steele.

Radio that played all types of music is something I think about often. Working at a University, I hear more "top 40" radio than I care to and it is so very limited. Makes me feel old to think it all sounds the same to me, but dang it, it does! The availability of everything right away on ye olde internet is great for folks that already have a broad appreciation of genres, but for those growing up with it, it seems to make it too easy to get stuck in a rut.
The Barney Miller theme was great for young bass players.
I'd add garage sales with tons of still-nice vinyl for 25 cents apiece. Going to the FM station to paw through their towering stacks of promos headed for recycling.
FM stations playing deep album cuts and whole sides. The thrill of Elvis Costello's first album on radio. Local music shows. Great live power pop music every weekend at bars that risked their license for minors like me (he-he).

I didn't even touch on the local stuff.

NYC: Second Coming Records, King Karol, Record Hunter, and of course, Tower, Virgin, HMV, the Wiz and Crazy Eddie, whose prices were INSANE! Iridium in the basement of the Empire Hotel.

Chicago: Jim Stagg, Record City, Rose Records, Crow's Nest, Full Cyrkle, Stereo City. Laury's Records, Dex Card, Dick Buckley, Ron Britain's Subterranean Circus

Milwaukee: Radio Doctors, Farwell Records, Atomic Records

No great stories, Phydo, just that I never solder anymore.

Linda

Is it me, or did AM radio sound a heck of a lot better when I was a kid? We only had ONE radio station where I grew up and it was AM-only. So was the radio in our Valiant. I can remember turning that radio up on all the good songs and having it sound just fine through the dash speaker. Now though, playing AM radio sounds like it's coming through a pickle barrel. Other things I miss: The Pop Shoppe, Wayne & Shuster, Saturday Morning Cartoons, Laugh-In, and while I'm at it: QUALITY TELEVISION. Variety Shows, Ed Sullivan, Johnny Carson, DRAGNET!, Main Street, Cruising, Streaking, Mooning, cars that were styled by a human being and not a computer. Records, 8-tracks, Kresge's, Woolco, The Blue Top (local store) A&W when it was still a restaurant, Kool-Treet, The Smell of leaded Gasoline, 104 Octane Fuel, FULL SERVICE GAS STATIONS, jobs that turned into careers, a living wage, disposable income....

Korvette's in Douglaston, Queens - just off the LIE - LPs for ever. My good friend Rudy was the buyer there.
S.Kleins Department store on Main St. in Flushing, Queens - every Friday 3 45's from the The Billboard Top 100 for $1.
Slow dancing to The Association's "Never My Love" with my girl in her parents basement - she wore my ID bracelet.
Rockin out to the Chamber Brothers "Time Has Come Today" at the local church dance on Friday night - the local band that played there also did a mean 15 minute version of "Mustang Sally."

"Beaker Street".

And a similar local (Austin, MN) show, "Pipeline"

The smell of head shops and Patchouli. I include these two because they are inextricably bound to music.

Doug

Live music. When I was in high school I had a number of friends that were in bands that played Friday and Saturday night dances at churches and community centers. All of them were playing current top 40 songs and classic rock standards. Hanging out with these guys I would hear the debate about whether or not they should try to become a "Union Band". I never really understood the nuances of that discussion because I was more interested in talking with the girls that were also hanging out with the band guys. :D

(Yes Linda, it was not just about the music but also the girls. I am guessing you probably already knew that.) ;)

Justin

Here's my list:

The Beatles Reunion Tour with The London Symphony Orchestra. (World Tour with 5.1 simulcast)
The entire "Beatles" catalog in "5.1"

"The Marconi Experiment" with Dave Herman @ FM 93.3 WMMR in Philadelphia
60's Underground Radio
The original "Electric Factory", "The Trauma", and the rest of the Psychedelic Ballrooms.

In Mayagüez (PR):
-Maelo's Record shop (where I bought my first Beatles LPs)
-El Patio Mall's Record Shop which was next to a Head Shop (late 70's)

In San Juan:
-Stereo Warehouse
-Distribuidora Nacional de Discos

In Boston:
-Tower Records

In Madrid:
-Madrid Rock (HUGE record store which closed a few years ago)
-Being able to play with groups in bars, TV, etc.

Back