Memory Lane: People/Places/Things I Miss MUSIC RELATED ONLY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maxwell Street (market) in Chicago when it WAS actually on Maxwell Street. The ultimate flea market, which was also famous for the great blues musicians that played simply for spare change. Maxwell Street was famous for the slogan "cheat you fair."

Poplar Creek, a large outdoor concert venue in Hoffman Estates, a Chicago suburb. I listened to some killer musicians there: Santana (2X), Dylan, Lani Hall with the Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass reunion, Weather Report, Chicago, Steely Dan, Barry Manilow, Monkees, Peter Noone, Gary Puckett, Rob Grill and NY Rock & Soul Revue with Becker, Fagen, Boz Scaggs, Michael Mc Donald and Phoebe Snow. And it was 5 minutes from home.

Linda

As others have said and/or hinted at - ye old record shops. When I was a young teen it was almost a Saturday ritual to get on the subway and hit all the shops on downtown Toronto (where I was born and raised)...Round Records, Records on Wheels (where I later on worked for several years)...further south on Yonge St to A&A's and Sam the Record Man...rarely did I come home without a bag on vinyl under my arm.

Lafayette Radio, Korvettes, 45's, Browsing the local record stores, WFIL & WIBG in Philly, The Archies and The Partridge Family, shows at the Spectrum, seeing bands like the Who & Led Zeppelin for $12.50 a ticket and Queen for 94 cents (a promo from 94 WYSP)
Cat Stevens, Ambrosia, Heart, Boston and a hundred other bands on both AM & FM radio, The Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, rooting through the quad LPs at Kelly's Korner and Al's Record Spot... you could be here all day! :)

Lafayette Radio, Korvettes, 45's, Browsing the local record stores, WFIL & WIBG in Philly, The Archies and The Partridge Family, shows at the Spectrum, seeing bands like the Who & Led Zeppelin for $12.50 a ticket and Queen for 94 cents (a promo from 94 WYSP)
Cat Stevens, Ambrosia, Heart, Boston and a hundred other bands on both AM & FM radio, The Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, rooting through the quad LPs at Kelly's Korner and Al's Record Spot... you could be here all day! :)

Do you remember "Sound of Market"(Street)???
In the short while I was in Temple (82-83) that was the place to get LPs for me.
If I recall correctly , they had 2 stores.
Yes , the Spectrum, saw Rush on their "Signals" tour there...Heart with Cheap Trick...Van Halen on their "Diver Down" Tour...
Oh and the LEGENDARY JFK Sept 25 '82 Santana/Tha Clash/The Who spectacle...the biggest concert I've EVER been to!!!
The 2 stations I remember were WMMR amd WYSP, I usually liked the latter better, somehow..was it them that played the "double shots" (2 consecutive songs by the same artist)?

When I was in high school in Kansas City my friends and I saw in concert the "Beach Boys (Good Vibrations Tour)", "Paul Revere and the Raiders", and the "Strawberry Alarm Clock". Good times!:smokin (No bags of the green leafy stuff).

Justin

"Double Shots"...that sounds like WMMR, I think they still do that! The most eclectic and wide-ranging music radio station around this part of the earth is WXPN from the University of PA. A smattering of classic rock material, though usually not the most obvious cuts plus "new" material, though they can get a bit repetitive with that...Odele only goes so far for me. They even have a Saturday afternoon program once per month devoted exclusively to prog rock of the 1970s. Otherwise, to listen to a range of music on radio...you need Sirius.
Yeah, the radio of the 1966-67 era was an all time high.....can you imagine The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Starwberry Alarm Clock, Lemon Pipers, along side Herb Alpert, Ray Coniff Singers, and "Winchester Cathedral" today? John S.

Radio memories! WLS in Chicago was a powerhouse. Lots of people outside Chicago listened, especially at night. Lots o' watts. WCFL also was strong rock contender, though less powerful and unknown outside Chi. Jim Stagg was a DJ and Program Director. He became a friend in the late '70's. A large portion of my collection came from the Record City stores he owned. Everything in print. Ron Britain's Subterranean Circus ('68-'72) on 'CFL Sunday nights was my fave program. All the hippie trippy stuff I was listening to. Deep tracks? This stuff gave you the bends. Orpheus, Bangor Flying Circus, Moby Grape, Terry Reid, Wozard of Iz, stuff other underground programs didn't play. Wish I had either my Philips or B&K tuners back then, 'cause they make AM sound nearly as good as FM!

For nearly 40 years, I haven't listened to radio. Since my collection is large, I program myself. The DEEPEST tracks!

1967 was the BEST YEAR EVER in music. Moby Grape, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Doors, Rotary Connection, Strange Days, Are You Experienced?, Electric Music for Mind & Body, Pleasures of the Harbor, Wes' A Day in the Life, Of Cabbages & Kings, Big Brother, Youngbloods, Pisces, Aquarius Capricorn & Jones, A Scratch in the Sky, Time & Charges, A New Discovery (First Songs), Herb Alpert's 9th, Equinox, Electric Bath, Nefertiti, We & the Sea, and many more...

1968 was nearly as good: White Album, Cheap Thrills, Axis: Bold as Love, Waiting for the Sun, I Stand Alone, Super Session, A Long Time Comin', Spirit, Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Bookends, Beggars' Banquet, Wow, Child is Father, Crown of Creation, Notorious Byrd Bros, Taj Mahal, Quicksilver, Children of Future, Look Around, Beat of the Brass, I Wonder What She's Doing, Electric Ladyland, Shock Treatment, John Wesley Harding, Inflated Tear, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Eli & 13th Confession

Linda
Heady Days

For nearly 40 years, I haven't listened to radio. Since my collection is large, I program myself. The DEEPEST tracks!

1967 was the BEST YEAR EVER in music.

Quad Linda, I wasn't going to jump into this conversation because there are SO many things I miss, but I've had a few beers and what the hell... I HAVE to differ with you: 1978 was the BEST YEAR EVER! It was the sweet spot for pop for so many great artists! Check it out:

Wings: "London Town"
Clapton: "Slow Hand"
Billy Joel: "52nd Street"
Van Halen: "Van Halen"
Cheap Trick: "At Budokan"
The Cars: "The Cars"
Toto: "Toto"
Rush: "Hemispheres"
Todd Rundgren: "The Hermit of Mink Hollow"
Pat Metheny Group: "Pat Metheny Group"
Foreigner: "Double Vision"
Gerry Rafferty: "City To City"
Bruce Springsteen: "Darkness on the Edge of Town"
Heart: "Dog and Butterfly"
Boston: "Don't Look Back"
Doobie Brothers: "Minute By Minute"
Dire Straits: "Dire Straits"

I could go on, but I think I've made my point! 1978 was the YEAR!

Do you remember "Sound of Market"(Street)???
In the short while I was in Temple (82-83) that was the place to get LPs for me.
If I recall correctly , they had 2 stores.
Yes , the Spectrum, saw Rush on their "Signals" tour there...Heart with Cheap Trick...Van Halen on their "Diver Down" Tour...
Oh and the LEGENDARY JFK Sept 25 '82 Santana/Tha Clash/The Who spectacle...the biggest concert I've EVER been to!!!
The 2 stations I remember were WMMR amd WYSP, I usually liked the latter better, somehow..was it them that played the "double shots" (2 consecutive songs by the same artist)?

I used to buy my stuff from Sound of Market Street and 3rd Street Jazz.
I thought WMMR played the double shots...
WYSP had the Comedy Hour on Sunday nights.

"Double Shots"...that sounds like WMMR, I think they still do that! The most eclectic and wide-ranging music radio station around this part of the earth is WXPN from the University of PA. A smattering of classic rock material, though usually not the most obvious cuts plus "new" material, though they can get a bit repetitive with that...Odele only goes so far for me. They even have a Saturday afternoon program once per month devoted exclusively to prog rock of the 1970s. Otherwise, to listen to a range of music on radio...you need Sirius.
Yeah, the radio of the 1966-67 era was an all time high.....can you imagine The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Starwberry Alarm Clock, Lemon Pipers, along side Herb Alpert, Ray Coniff Singers, and "Winchester Cathedral" today? John S.

I used to buy my stuff from Sound of Market Street and 3rd Street Jazz.
I thought WMMR played the double shots...
WYSP had the Comedy Hour on Sunday nights.

Thank you both for your replies , yes, MMR was the one that did the double shots (something I copied when I was a DJ in WRPC -FM in PR from 84-86)...

Back to the thread...this is something that I mentioned I miss a LOT..cheap concerts where you could drink and smoke and PARTYYYYYYYY!!!
Like this one...(in a Daffy Duck voice..."whatapartywhatapartywhatapartywhataparty!!!")

Van Halen 1982.jpg

Hippie chicks saying, "yes" when I asked, "Hey, you want a Walnetto?" at a concert.

(This was my first line to my first wife).

Doug

I miss music radio on AM. Boss Radio. Robert W. Morgan and The Real Don Steele. WABC Musicradio 77. KHJ. B-100. The Magic Christian. I miss local radio, too. I miss 45s and 8-tracks, key-off eject, '67 Pontiacs and baby Moon hubcaps. I miss Char-Burger restaurants, A&W Drive-Ins, Sprouse-Reitz stores and Wallich's Music City. I miss Liberty Records, United Artists, Warner Brothers Records (I know they're still around, but they're not cool anymore), Dr. Demento, Curtis Mayfield and David Ruffin. I miss Motown. I miss Jackie Wilson, Brunswick Records, Gene Chandler, Barbara Acklin and The Artistics. I miss 1110 KRLA, Dave Hugg and Bill Ballance. I miss ABC Records and Poco. And Licorice Pizza and Pacific Stereo. Peaches. Rhino Records (again, still here, but not the same). Oh yeah, and the smell of Gestetner duplicating fluid evaporating off hot metal. I could go on...

Early 70's driving a 68 Mustang with factory 8 track. At that time, you could walk into any pawnshop in Texas and trade in an 8 track tape plus a dollar bill and walk out of there with a new (to you) 8 track. Start the car and pop it in. Instant gratification. How do you beat that?!!

I'll get to the rest later, but do you get WNYC up in New Milford, Elmer? Schwartz still hosts "Studio 360" on there.

I miss the MTV of my youth and finding out about new bands through Dial MTV and Headbanger's Ball. I miss used CD stores and spending Friday nights where there weren't otherwise better plans driving out to faraway ones just to check what they had. I miss Virgin, Tower, and HMV, and when finding new music was both easier and more rewarding/difficult at the same times. I miss camping out for concert tickets and living a carefree enough life to go to shows every weekend. I miss the cameraderie, but not the salary, of working for Peaches. There is a ton that's better now as to how we access and consume music, but it's at the expense of that magical moment that used to exist.

Funny you mention MTV. I saw Aretha on TV the other day, and my mind went to Freeway of Love, my fave track by her. Great Detroit shots, the great Narada and the late, great BIG MAN, Clarence Clemmons. My next thought was "I miss MTV!." Everything but the Girl and Swing Out Sister are two acts that I love, have seen live, and first heard on MTV. Now, it's all reality show crap. Money for nothing and NO chicks for free!

I want my MTV back!

I miss the MTV of my youth and finding out about new bands through Dial MTV and Headbanger's Ball. I miss used CD stores and spending Friday nights where there weren't otherwise better plans driving out to faraway ones just to check what they had. I miss Virgin, Tower, and HMV, and when finding new music was both easier and more rewarding/difficult at the same times. I miss camping out for concert tickets and living a carefree enough life to go to shows every weekend. I miss the cameraderie, but not the salary, of working for Peaches. There is a ton that's better now as to how we access and consume music, but it's at the expense of that magical moment that used to exist.

St. Agnes chuch on Friday night, they had a band and the place was packed with pre-legal crowd
high school dances on sat. night, packed again. we had many good bands around then (60's)
and we had lots of venues other than bars for kids my age. and they all played the HS dances
and of course the girls. They real reason you went. ( sorry ms. linda bitch) by you own admisson and consent

EVER HEAR "I WANT MY MTV"
Well I still have my MTV!
CHECK THIS OUT!

VINTAGE MTV VIDEO AIRCHECKS 24 DVDs (((SUPER RARE w/commercials)))

MTV 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th hours (((THESE ARE THE VERY FIRST 4hrs of MTV))) 8/81 3 DVD's A-/B+ quality

How many people can say that they have the very 1st 4hrs of MTV to watch again?

MTV 11/81, 1 DVD 2 hours B+
------------------------------
MTV November 1982 Alan Hunter hosts, 90 minutes 1 DVD A- quality.
MTV 4/12/82 3pm-4pm Martha Quinn, 1 DVD, A quality.
MTV 2nd New Years Bash 12/31/82 2 DVD's, A-
MTV late October 1983 Mark Goodman hosts, 90 minutes 1 DVD B+ quality.
MTV 9/5/83 Alan Hunter, 1 DVD 90 min B quality
MTV April 1984 JJ Jackson, 100 minutes A- quality 1 DVD (BEST ONE OF THEM ALL!!)
MTV Labor Day 9/6/84, 2 DVDs 4 hours Weird Al Hosts, ALTV!! B+
MTV Halloween 10/31/84, 2 DVDs 3 hours Elvira Hosts! B+
1987 + Bonus Compilation disks
MTV March 7, 1987 Alan Hunter hosts, 5 hours, 3 DVD's B quality.
MTV various 80's clips compilation, 5 DVDs, A+/C-

Back