Memory Lane: People/Places/Things I Miss MUSIC RELATED ONLY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you mention MTV. I saw Aretha on TV the other day, and my mind went to Freeway of Love, my fave track by her. Great Detroit shots, the great Narada and the late, great BIG MAN, Clarence Clemmons. My next thought was "I miss MTV!." Everything but the Girl and Swing Out Sister are two acts that I love, have seen live, and first heard on MTV. Now, it's all reality show crap. Money for nothing and NO chicks for free!

I want my MTV back!

I never quite understood where the point occurred where the industry gave up on the music video as a medium of promotion. Music videos are still made, apparently for overseas, YouTube, "Music Choice" type channels on cable, etc., but there's no reason why the hours which go to "Jersey Shore" marathons can't go back to music video programming. I like Snooki and Paulie as much as the next guy but, if you don't think what happened to that channel is incredibly sad, it's because you're too young to know what it even was before....

....and that argument may just have made me officially become old. Who knows. :)

....and that argument may just have made me officially become old. Who knows. :)

Why don't these young whippersnappers enjoy/consume their music like we did when I was a kid? :)

Kid, I know you've got your son now, you officially became old when he was born, you just didn't realize it!

At least he's not old enough to watch Jersey Sore yet, I've got two 20-year old girls and they can't get enough of it. On the plus side, they have pointed me to some really good new music. On the minus, they have pointed me towards some really BAD new music!

You guys are all GODS among Quadraphiles, and music lovers alike.

1- Why don't young people care about music? They're too busy playing video games and watching hundreds of cable/satellite channels. My Son is 26 and he could care less. His fave bands are Kraftwerk and Weather Report. Wonder where he acquired a taste for those? My 23 year old Daughter is more into music. The Beatles are her fave. Where'd she get that. Like much of broadcast/satellite radio today, the times they aren't a changin'.

2- Great MTV archives, MTA! Video KILLED the radio star! BTW: I like your avatar. I didn't know Zappa's We're Only in the Money was released on Q4. His best.

3- Elroy, you know you're old when you know the meaning of whippersnapper.

4- I also miss the after school concerts in the parking lot of Cermak Plaza in Berwyn featuring the Ides of March, years before Vehicle. Jim Peterik & Chuck Soumar rule! You can take the boys out of Berwyn, but you can never take Berwyn out of the boys. What's a Berwyn? (local joke)

It's 1900 yesterday!

2- Great MTV archives, MTA! Video KILLED the radio star! BTW: I like your avatar. I didn't know Zappa's We're Only in the Money was released on Q4. His best.

It's "TMEA" not MTA and my avatar is the fab four's version of Zappa's "Sgt. Pepper's" imitation clone cover. I made that ((QUAD)) cover on to a blank reel to reel box (front, back & sides). I then got a hold of an original stereo version reel of the Sgt. I threw the tape away cos it was messed up.. got some new tape onto which I made and copied an up-sampled 5.1 24bit version of the Sgt. from the latest ((STEREO)) re-masters. I then mixed down the 5.1 center speaker vocals only to 4.0 on to the 1/4inch reel.

A-Voila! The Sgt. is now in QUAD!

The avatar is a scan photo of the actual reel box that I made..
Thanks for the compliment on the avatar!

BTW.. I saw the original "It's A Beautiful Day" at the "Trauma" ballroom which was a block away from the original "Electric Factory" @ 2201 Arch St. in Philly.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the college where I work lets students vote on channels to have on the campus cable system. The latest one they added is MTV-U, which is all music videos. We had to add a big dish just for it. Now the mega cable provider wants to take over ($). I wonder how long student choice of channels will last?
My conclusions:
1.) Kids still appreciate music video.
2.) Profits will push "Real Hillbilly Doofuses On Parade" to be on multiple channels.
I don't have kids, but everyone I know who is into music can remember the cool records among their parent's Paul Anka, or the cool uncle who had a reel-to-reel.

Jim Peterik has a great attitude, I read an interview where he said " I'll play anywhere, anytime, as long as I'm not already booked. I just love playing!"

TMEA. my apologies. I DID know your proper handle, it was just a typo. Sorry! Yes, being both a Beatles nut and a Zappa fan, I was just pulling your leg. Very cool Q4 box. Or, is it pushing your leg, as in Loggins & Messina's Lahiana (SQ/Q8)?

Quadsearcher, TV is not only lowest common denominator, but everything is "on the Cheap." I'm a news hound and I often refer to them as "the olds." It's cheaper to add small details to existing stories, than to research a new one, then send reporters and a minicam. They're milked for days with little or no new info. Then, there's the "Faux news" stories that simply promote other shows on that channel. A reality show is far cheaper than developing something relevant, substantial, and possibly educational. Perish the thought. If you want to learn, go to the damn library!

At 6, I was the "cool aunt" who a had a Bell & Howell 7" reel-to-reel. Instead of VU meters, it had lights (not LED's) that flashed brighter as the rec level was increased. At 9, I stopped buying mono LP's, since I had Estereo.

Jim Peterik was introduced to me through a friend named Chuck. Jim is a great guy. Of course we hit it off, being from the same neighborhood.

And I feel light years away from the west side of Chicago (he meant Berwyn.) And as I board my plane, something inside my brain, hates to wave LA Goodbye.

Kid, I know you've got your son now, you officially became old when he was born, you just didn't realize it!

At least he's not old enough to watch Jersey Sore yet, I've got two 20-year old girls and they can't get enough of it. On the plus side, they have pointed me to some really good new music. On the minus, they have pointed me towards some really BAD new music!

Ha! So true.

Little known fact: I was actually in the footage for the Miami season of that show. My wife and I visited the gelato shop they were working in. Had to sign PAGES of releases on my way out. Didn't make it on the air, though, but had a very nice conversation with Sammi.

I'll get to the rest later, but do you get WNYC up in New Milford, Elmer? Schwartz still hosts "Studio 360" on there.

No - unfortunately, New Milford is in the "quiet zone" when it come to NYC radio - but I grew up in Queens in the mid 60's so all that stuff is firmly ingrained. I remember that after Jonathon Schwartz left WNEW FM he had a show on WNEW AM - which was all Sinatra - great radio and then early in the morning, I'm talkin' 4 AM, there was a show called the "Milkman's Matinee" - I still remember the words to the theme song;

"When the world should all be sleepin'
And the melody comes creepin'
That's the time to say
It's the Milkman's matinee"

Easy question

I miss decent record stores.
From the late 70's through the late 90's Vancouver was a great place to buy music, multiple stores many with deep catalog.
Especially miss A&B Sound in their heyday, known at one point for having the best CD prices in the world.

Isn't it funny how we relate music to certain events in our lives? I hear something from long ago, and it stirs memories,
So, like 50's era stuff always stirs up memories.
When we were kids transistor radios came out and everyone had one,so music was always on. At night you could walk down the street and not miss a play for the Yankee game that night. Phil Risuto's voice broadcasting the game.
I had one of those radios you clipped on metal and it had an earphone you could listen to AM radio with. I think they were called geranium radios? no battery.

Great thread Linda! The one abiding theme throughout this discussion that I really miss is the common frame of reference we used to have. I recognized most of this stuff even though I live and have lived in Northern Alberta Canada. It made you feel like you were part of something big. Now its fractured into little subgenres. I just can't see young people ever having this kind of united conversation 30 years from now.

Old ken

Radio memories! WLS in Chicago was a powerhouse. Lots of people outside Chicago listened, especially at night. Lots o' watts. WCFL also was strong rock contender, though less powerful and unknown outside Chi. Jim Stagg was a DJ and Program Director. He became a friend in the late '70's. A large portion of my collection came from the Record City stores he owned. Everything in print. Ron Britain's Subterranean Circus ('68-'72) on 'CFL Sunday nights was my fave program. All the hippie trippy stuff I was listening to. Deep tracks? This stuff gave you the bends. Orpheus, Bangor Flying Circus, Moby Grape, Terry Reid, Wozard of Iz, stuff other underground programs didn't play. Wish I had either my Philips or B&K tuners back then, 'cause they make AM sound nearly as good as FM!

For nearly 40 years, I haven't listened to radio. Since my collection is large, I program myself. The DEEPEST tracks!

1967 was the BEST YEAR EVER in music. Moby Grape, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Doors, Rotary Connection, Strange Days, Are You Experienced?, Electric Music for Mind & Body, Pleasures of the Harbor, Wes' A Day in the Life, Of Cabbages & Kings, Big Brother, Youngbloods, Pisces, Aquarius Capricorn & Jones, A Scratch in the Sky, Time & Charges, A New Discovery (First Songs), Herb Alpert's 9th, Equinox, Electric Bath, Nefertiti, We & the Sea, and many more...

1968 was nearly as good: White Album, Cheap Thrills, Axis: Bold as Love, Waiting for the Sun, I Stand Alone, Super Session, A Long Time Comin', Spirit, Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Bookends, Beggars' Banquet, Wow, Child is Father, Crown of Creation, Notorious Byrd Bros, Taj Mahal, Quicksilver, Children of Future, Look Around, Beat of the Brass, I Wonder What She's Doing, Electric Ladyland, Shock Treatment, John Wesley Harding, Inflated Tear, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Eli & 13th Confession

Linda
Heady Days
Ahhh the memories!! I'm 51 so I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago in the 60's and 70's and remember the "fight" between WLS and WCFL. Those were the days for sure. I think the thing I miss the most about AM radio in the 70's is the fact that you could hear something like Free's "All Right Now" and then some Al Green and then "Brother Louie" etc. I didn't even realize that records like "Are You Ready" by Pacific Gas & Electric or "Treat Her Like A Lady" by Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose were records by black artists. I just knew that they were played on my favorite stations and it didn't matter. What a much better time. My mom bought me a transistor radio that went with me everywhere (I miss my AM radio from the 70's - especially 71 through 74).

Other things I miss:
My Zenith Allegro quad/stereo
Koss Quad headphones
Sitting in front of my aunt's record player playing all her new 45's (Mellow Yellow was a favorite - she is 10 years older than me so she had em all)
Trips to Korvette's and Sears to pick up the latest singles
Steve Allessi - a friend who had the first stereo cassette deck that I ever saw.
Working at Hillside Music in the Hillside mall - it's where I grew my collection
Beautiful Day Records in LaGrange IL - they had the coolest promos and rare stuff!
Being in a record pool and getting promos that were never released at retail.
American Bandstand (especially Steely Dan playing "My Old School and "Bodhisattva"), Soul Train, Midnight Special, Pandora's Box, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, 1970's Soundstage on PBS (especially the Down Beat Jazz Award show from 76 with Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, Billy Cobham and Jean Luc Ponty playing "Lopsy Lu")
All the Q8's, tapes and records I had as a kid (if I knew then...)
KTel and Ronco LPs (I loved the edits)
Being a club DJ even though I would never go back - it was a blast!!!
So many more....:mad:@:

Great memories, Bob. No wonder that cat on your avatar is still groovin'!

I cried when Korvettes closed in '77 in Chicago. I'm still morning that, and Tower Records, too. For a short while, I was at the Pacific Stereo store in LaGrange. Or, is it pronounced lugwrench? lol!! I remember Beautiful Day, with their sign that looked like the album cover. There was another record store a couple blocks west of there that was way cool, too.

I recall Hillside Music. Hillside Mall also had Goldblatt's, with a great music dept. and delicatessen. Allied Radio was also there, which was the best hifi store in the 60s, until Radio Shack took it over, and replaced the name brand gear with Realistic.

Memories light the corners of my mind...

Ahhh the memories!! I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago in the 60's and 70's and remember the "fight" between WLS and WCFL. Those were the days for sure. I think the thing I miss the most about AM radio in the 70's is the fact that you could hear something like Free's "All Right Now" and then some Al Green and then "Brother Louie" etc. I didn't even realize that records like "Are You Ready" by Pacific Gas & Electric or "Treat Her Like A Lady" by Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose were records by black artists. I just knew that they were played on my favorite stations and it didn't matter. What a much better time. My mom bought me a transistor radio that went with me everywhere (I miss my AM radio from the 70's - especially 71 through 74).

Other things I miss:
My Zenith Allegro quad/stereo
Koss Quad headphones
Sitting in front of my aunt's record player playing all her new 45's (Mellow Yellow was a favorite - she is 10 years older than me so she had em all)
Trips to Korvette's and Sears to pick up the latest singles
Steve Allessi - a friend who had the first stereo cassette deck that I ever saw.
Working at Hillside Music in the Hillside mall - it's where I grew my collection
Beautiful Day Records in LaGrange IL - they had the coolest promos and rare stuff!
Being in a record pool and getting promos that were never released at retail.
American Bandstand (especially Steely Dan playing "My Old School and "Bodhisattva"), Soul Train, Midnight Special, Pandora's Box, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, 1970's Soundstage on PBS
All the Q8's, tapes and records I had as a kid (if I knew then...)
KTel and Ronco LPs (I loved the edits)
Being a club DJ even though I would never go back - it was a blast!!!
So many more....:mad:@:

Great memories, Bob. No wonder that cat on your avatar is still groovin'!

I cried when Korvettes closed in '77 in Chicago. I'm still morning that, and Tower Records, too. For a short while, I was at the Pacific Stereo store in LaGrange. Or, is it pronounced lugwrench? lol!! I remember Beautiful Day, with their sign that looked like the album cover. There was another record store a couple blocks west of there that was way cool, too.

I recall Hillside Music. Hillside Mall also had Goldblatt's, with a great music dept. and delicatessen. Allied Radio was also there, which was the best hifi store in the 60s, until Radio Shack took it over, and replaced the name brand gear with Realistic.

Memories light the corners of my mind...

Ha... Allied Radio is where my mom bought me "Cosmo's Factory" (yep I was 9 or 10 but in LOVE with "Heard It Through The Grapevine" - it seemed like that song went on FOREVER) and you are right about Goldblatt's. I got my Tubular Bells and 461 Ocean Blvd quad LP's there (even though I couldn't play quad Lp's at the time)

Isn't it funny how we relate music to certain events in our lives? I hear something from long ago, and it stirs memories,
So, like 50's era stuff always stirs up memories.
When we were kids transistor radios came out and everyone had one,so music was always on. At night you could walk down the street and not miss a play for the Yankee game that night. Phil Risuto's voice broadcasting the game.
I had one of those radios you clipped on metal and it had an earphone you could listen to AM radio with. I think they were called geranium radios? no battery.

I had received a crystal radio kit for Christmas one year and could lay in bed and listen to WLS AM Chicago through the headphones late and night. Great fun!

Justin

I had received a crystal radio kit for Christmas one year and could lay in bed and listen to WLS AM Chicago through the headphones late and night. Great fun!

Justin

yes ! thats what they were. we used to get them as freebies in the 60's, from all sorts of providers, like a free pen would be today. I had several.

Wax Trax Records, a store and a record label. The premier spot for New Wave and Punk. It was right down the block from the Biograph Theater, where John Dillinger caught his lunch.
waxtrax_chicago1988_550x423.jpg
waxtrax01.jpg
6083488687_210b2ed74f.jpg
DSCN6081.JPG
tumblr_m7fugmcETD1qg8r34o1_500.jpg

Back