The Doors - 4 New 5.1 SACD re releases from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a new release, I got the Perception box with the peephole for $70 with my Gold Borders Rewards card. :banana: Truly one of the jewels of my collection. Whether the DVD-A/CD Perception box or the SACD Infinite box, YOU NEED THIS LIKE LIFE ITSELF!

Infinite box:
002777d1_medium.jpeg
capp_doors2_sa.jpg

Well, Amazon is sending me a replacement, even though I opened this one. That was nice of them! (y)

3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Amazon is great! I suppose the cost has something to do with it also. but good news.
anyway, amazon has the single discs also if the set is too costly-like me I'll get 1-2 a month. can't swing the set. QL got a terrific price!

Amazon came through! Even though I gave them an out, they sent me a new box, packaged properly this time, even though I told them I had opened the original and the discs.

The new one arrived with a higher number, but I have learned over the past 50 years that these numbers are total BS, so WGAS.

Old one is going back in the original shipping box.

One plus for Amazon. They continue to impress.

I'm not surprised that Amazon sent you a new copy. When Aqualung came out I explained to them that some of the tracks had "ticks" and they sent me a new copy. Even when I told them that the ticks did not mean anything was physically damaged but just that the recording was defective they still wanted to send me a new copy.

Amazon came through! Even though I gave them an out, they sent me a new box, packaged properly this time, even though I told them I had opened the original and the discs...

Old one is going back in the original shipping box...
So you're going to send the first one back in the bad packaging or in the proper packaging?

Snoooooooooooooopid question?? Any difference in sound or mix from the Perception box and the stand alone SACDS by AP??:mad:@:

Snoooooooooooooopid question?? Any difference in sound or mix from the Perception box and the stand alone SACDS by AP??:mad:@:

AFAIK, they are exact same mixes on both DVDA and SACD, so they should sound basically identical. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoooooooooooooopid question?? Any difference in sound or mix from the Perception box and the stand alone SACDS by AP??

Snoooooooooooooopid question?? Any difference in sound or mix from the Perception box and the stand alone SACDs by AP??:mad:@:

The Analogue Productions SACDs by The Doors were remastered from the original sources by Doug Sax and The Doors original engineer Bruce Botnick.
So the individual SACDs and the Infinite Doors Box Set (released in 2012) from Analogue Productions are identical.

The Perception box on DVD-A comes from a different remastering.
Can't say I've compared the Perception Box (released in 2006) vs. the Infinite Doors box set to see how different they may be.

The Analogue Productions SACDs by The Doors were remastered from the original sources by Doug Sax and The Doors original engineer Bruce Botnick.
So the individual SACDs and the Infinite Doors Box Set (released in 2012) from Analogue Productions are identical.

The Perception box on DVD-A comes from a different remastering.
Can't say I've compared the Perception Box (released in 2006) vs. the Infinite Doors box set to see how different they may be.

The Redbook and SACD Stereo layers are a new remaster of the original album mixes. The Mulitchannel layer contain the same exact mixes and mastering as the Perception box DVD-Vs. Since the Stereo mixes found in the Perception were completely new ones, they are very different from the original Stereo mixes found on the SACDs.

For anyone who already owns the Perception box for the 5.1 mixes but would like to own the superior original mixes, the DCC Gold CDs offer them in majestic sound courtesy of Steve Hoffman's yummy tube mastering. The first album benefits from having been done from the original master tapes on the DCC whilst the AP SACD was mastered from a safety copy as the master is rumoured to be damaged.

Snoooooooooooooopid question?? Any difference in sound or mix from the Perception box and the stand alone SACDS by AP??

It's not a stupid question at all Snood. It's often challenging to know the differences between many releases.

The Redbook and SACD Stereo layers are a new remaster of the original album mixes. The Multichannel layer contain the same exact mixes and mastering as the Perception box DVD-Vs. Since the Stereo mixes found in the Perception were completely new ones, they are very different from the original Stereo mixes found on the SACDs.

For anyone who already owns the Perception box for the 5.1 mixes but would like to own the superior original mixes, the DCC Gold CDs offer them in majestic sound courtesy of Steve Hoffman's yummy tube mastering. The first album benefits from having been done from the original master tapes on the DCC whilst the AP SACD was mastered from a safety copy as the master is rumoured to be damaged.

Last edited:

Hi Snood, just my little feed back, I own all The Doors, AP stand alone's SACD Mch and I think they are perfect, and I certainly am done with ever purchasing a Doors disc again.

I'm sure like AP's re~release of the DOORS box set on multichannel SACD (again, basically replicating the DVD~A 5.1 Perception Box release with NEW stereo remixes) BS&T will eventually and hopefully see individual releases of all four discs.

If I may bring a little light on the matter, the only thing that the Analogue Productions The Doors SACDs "borrowed" from the Perception box set were the 5.1 mixes and their mastering.

The Multichannel mixes are the same for both the Perception DVD-Vs and AP SACD sets. The mastering for these 5.1 mixes is the same.

The Perception box contains new Stereo mixes and the AP SACDs contain the original Stereo mixes. The mastering differs on these.

In a way you are correct. Two of the SACDs from the new Analogue Productions Blood, Sweat & Tears box will contain identical configurations to their Audio Fidelity counterparts save for the Stereo mastering (correct me if I'm wrong). The box will also feature new Analogue Productions masterings of two other Blood, Sweat & Tears albums.

If I may bring a little light on the matter, the only thing that the Analogue Productions The Doors SACDs "borrowed" from the Perception box set were the 5.1 mixes and their mastering.

The Multichannel mixes are the same for both the Perception DVD-Vs and AP SACD sets. The mastering for these 5.1 mixes is the same.

The Perception box contains new Stereo mixes and the AP SACDs contain the original Stereo mixes. The mastering differs on these.

In a way you are correct. Two of the SACDs from the new Analogue Productions Blood, Sweat & Tears box will contain configurations identical to their Audio Fidelity counterparts save for the Stereo mastering (correct me if I'm wrong). The box will also feature new Analogue Productions masterings of two other Blood, Sweat & Tears albums.

Great clarification, Simon. BTW, do you own BOTH versions? I was always perfectly satisfied with the Perception Box and just added the superb Audio Fidelity's Doors Greatest Hits QUAD SACD to my collection because of the slight remixing choices contained in the latter.

I have NO idea if the Stereo remixes will be different on BS&T 1 & 2 but prefer to play these in multichannel. As for 3 & 4, if they are offered separately, I will probably take the bait. But NOT including BS&T's Greatest Hits in QUAD was chintzy, IMO.....unless the masters were in deplorable shape or just NOT available for licensing.

Great clarification, Simon. BTW, do you own BOTH versions? I was always perfectly satisfied with the Perception Box and just added the superb Audio Fidelity's Doors Greatest Hits QUAD SACD to my collection because of the slight remixing choices contained in the latter.

To keep it short (as this is a Blood, Sweat & Tears thread), I prefer the first album in Mono or Stereo as I don't like the feel of the 5.1 Mix. For L.A. Woman, I prefer the 5.1 mix of the very first DVD-A from the early 2000's. For everything else, the 5.1 Mixes from both the DVD-Vs and SACDs work. :)

To keep it short (as this is a Blood, Sweat & Tears thread), I prefer the first album in Mono or Stereo as I don't like the feel of the 5.1 Mix. For L.A. Woman, I prefer the 5.1 mix of the very first DVD-A from the early 2000's. For everything else, the 5.1 Mixes from both the DVD-Vs and SACDs work. :)

You're right we should stay ON TOPIC (BS&T) but I also prefer to play the first DOORS album in Stereo (actually DIRECT mode). It really does sound magnificent on my system.

As a new release, I got the Perception box with the peephole for $70 with my Gold Borders Rewards card. 🍌 Truly one of the jewels of my collection. Whether the DVD-A/CD Perception box or the SACD Infinite box, YOU NEED THIS LIKE LIFE ITSELF!

Infinite box:
View attachment 12710
View attachment 12709
Resurrector of long-left-for-dead threads here. I have the "Perceptions" peephole box set also. (Maybe they bumped into each other at checkout/shipping.) My question is this: Is the Infinite set "perceptibly" better? I.E., Worth dropping three Benjamins for? TIA. I'm a big Doors fan, but I'm "Bloodlines" poor as I have it (the boxsets, not the DCT CD, but I have that also) on every format it was released. If there's really a night and day difference, then I could probably be drug kicking and screaming to getting an SACD set. FWIW, "The Soft Parade" is by far my favorite. (There is nothing can't be improved with a smokin' hot HORN SECTION, lol...) followed by the first album, then "L.A., Woman". But I need to go back and critically listen again. It's been at least a decade since I've spun them all...TIA!

Resurrector of long-left-for-dead threads here. I have the "Perceptions" peephole box set also. (Maybe they bumped into each other at checkout/shipping.) My question is this: Is the Infinite set "perceptibly" better? I.E., Worth dropping three Benjamins for? TIA. I'm a big Doors fan, but I'm "Bloodlines" poor as I have it (the boxsets, not the DCT CD, but I have that also) on every format it was released. If there's really a night and day difference, then I could probably be drug kicking and screaming to getting an SACD set. FWIW, "The Soft Parade" is by far my favorite. (There is nothing can't be improved with a smokin' hot HORN SECTION, lol...) followed by the first album, then "L.A., Woman". But I need to go back and critically listen again. It's been at least a decade since I've spun them all...TIA!
My understanding is that it's a new stereo transfer, and the surround mix is a straight port from the Perception box...

Back