The Doors - 4 New 5.1 SACD re releases from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 6 albums on SACD disc - but only 4 in SACD Multichannel Surround Sound.
Why do you think that? Here's a quote from the Acoustic Sounds website (the manufacturer)...

"All of The Doors' legendary albums — The untoppable self-titled 1967 debut The Doors, one of rock's most important debuts, Strange Days, Waiting For The Sun, The Soft Parade, Morrison Hotel, and the visceral L.A. Woman — have been remastered by Doug Sax and The Doors' original engineer Bruce Botnick, and made available on Multichannel Hybrid SACD for the first time in the U.S.!"

It's just is such a shame that we get the same titles, over and over, again and again, when there are so many other projects and titles that never see the light of day, old and new.

just $280 per set and without marbles? 2500 boxes only. that's work out to be $700 000.
AP has pretty humble appetite. they can include marbles in every box and sell it for $400
per set, making at least a million. there are lots of Doors fans who's dreaming to have marbles.

i begin to think perhaps better to quit my present struggle for surviving and start some kind
of audiophile label.

$100 is a lot to pay for the box itself, not including the discs. $30 per disc x 6 = $180 Numbered 6 SACD box set @ $280 = RIPOFF

What does this prove? Audiophiles are the ultimate suckers, or at least Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds thinks we are.

I hope they choke on all 2500 numbered copies.

I would want more info as to why the box is $100 extra. If they threw in the Best Of The Doors in the original quad mix on SACD I'd be willing to pay the extra money.

I would want more info as to why the box is $100 extra.

perhaps that's what cost numeration of every box. you know, sort of high intellectual job
must be paid sufficiently, other way no one would be interested in seating and counting of
those 2500 units, to make sure each got its correct number :)

perhaps that's what cost numeration of every box. you know, sort of high intellectual job
must be paid sufficiently, other way no one would be interested in seating and counting of
those 2500 units, to make sure each got its correct number :)
They do need to make sure the lowest numbers go to the disks with the deepest pits before the stamper got worn down.

Technically DVD-A is not superior to SACD in any sense of the word. SACD has oversampling that is 8 times the resolution of a DVD-A (PCM signal). SACD is considered the closest thing to the Analog tapes as possible-almost an EXACT copy. The reason why there is not a lot of SACD titles for current bands is because the current bands were recorded in PCM and to upconvert PCM to SACD (DSD) doesn't create anything better than the source. Whereas the reason why they are pulling a lot of old titles from the past is because they were recorded on Analog tape. Since DSD (SACD) is considered to be an exact copy of the analog tapes it makes since to convert those to digital for the final time as it will be the closest to the source. Just take a look at the Elton John SACD's, they were all done from the Protool masters (PCM) and as such the piano sounds like poop. The Doors DVD-A mixes sucked---Morrison Hotel mixes were so far from the original i won't dirty my player by putting them into it again. There was stuff on the DVD-A's i hope i never hear again. I don't have the SACD's but I hope they are better than the DVD-A and I will buy them as soon as possible.

Technically DVD-A is not superior to SACD in any sense of the word. SACD has oversampling that is 8 times the resolution of a DVD-A (PCM signal). SACD is considered the closest thing to the Analog tapes as possible-almost an EXACT copy. The reason why there is not a lot of SACD titles for current bands is because the current bands were recorded in PCM and to upconvert PCM to SACD (DSD) doesn't create anything better than the source. Whereas the reason why they are pulling a lot of old titles from the past is because they were recorded on Analog tape. Since DSD (SACD) is considered to be an exact copy of the analog tapes it makes since to convert those to digital for the final time as it will be the closest to the source. Just take a look at the Elton John SACD's, they were all done from the Protool masters (PCM) and as such the piano sounds like poop. The Doors DVD-A mixes sucked---Morrison Hotel mixes were so far from the original i won't dirty my player by putting them into it again. There was stuff on the DVD-A's i hope i never hear again. I don't have the SACD's but I hope they are better than the DVD-A and I will buy them as soon as possible.

uh-oh.. I hear a huge can of worms being opened!

If QQ-ers like Neil Wilkes see your comments about SACD and DVDA, I'm sure they'll be happy to counter your findings.

Also, does the piano in your Elton SACDs sound like poop to you in stereo or multichannel?

uh-oh.. I hear a huge can of worms being opened!

If QQ-ers like Neil Wilkes see your comments about SACD and DVDA, I'm sure they'll be happy to counter your findings.

Also, does the piano in your Elton SACDs sound like poop to you in stereo or multichannel?

It sounded like poop on the original DSD sessions that were done in Boulder Colorado where I listened to the source files on speakers that were 30K a piece.

Technically DVD-A is not superior to SACD in any sense of the word. SACD has oversampling that is 8 times the resolution of a DVD-A (PCM signal). SACD is considered the closest thing to the Analog tapes as possible-almost an EXACT copy.

pretty bold statement but well, everyone to their own preferences. in regards for fidelity of recorded material,
there are good and bad in both, so mainly from my point of view this mainly depends on skill and hearing of those,
who mastered the sound.
but i very much doubt the ability of DSD to retain analog coloration of recorded sound, thus superiority over PCM.
in fact PCM has come much closer to this potential.

It sounded like poop on the original DSD sessions that were done in Boulder Colorado where I listened to the source files on speakers that were 30K a piece.

and you believe this to be because of a drop in quality going from PCM protool masters to DSD?

did anybody else listening to these sessions at the Super Audio Center (I'm thinking possibly of the likes of Gus Skinas for starters but anybody else noteworthy who was involved in these Elton remixes would do) agree with you at the time that Elton's piano sounded like poop as a result?

have you posted your findings at sa-cd.net about the deficiencies of the Elton SACDs yet?

a couple more questions for you djsweep, if I may, as its such a wonderful opportunity to have someone like yourself on here with insider knowledge and access to these mixes in the studio..

have you compared the DVD-Audio release of Elton's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to the DSD/SACD version and found that the piano sound is improved without the PCM to DSD conversion 'colouring' the sound?

have you heard any of the as-yet unreleased Elton 5.1 mixes (from the Caribou, Don't Shoot me, Blue Moves or Rock of the Westies albums) and if you have what did you think of them?

thank you in advance for your responses, djsweep. these Elton 5.1 mixes are real treasures in my surround music collection and as such any new information I can glean about them means a lot to me.

and you believe this to be because of a drop in quality going from PCM protool masters to DSD?

did anybody else listening to these sessions at the Super Audio Center (I'm thinking possibly of the likes of Gus Skinas for starters but anybody else noteworthy who was involved in these Elton remixes would do) agree with you at the time that Elton's piano sounded like poop as a result?

have you posted your findings at sa-cd.net about the deficiencies of the Elton SACDs yet?

Yes it was Gus's studio. When I heard the Elton John tracks coming straight from Sonoma i asked "what's wrong with the piano?" and you could see his shoulders drop....He then said "I wish they sent me the master tapes, but they only gave me the pro tools sessions." I assumed based on his response that he wasn't happy with it either, but you'll have to ask him what he thinks.

I haven't posted anything on SA-CD.net but certainly could....I only have one Elton John SACD but i like it better than any other PCM version i've heard.

I don't have the DVD-A mixes, I wish I did as i always like to show people the difference in format's....I will try to get a copy and post up a reply. Unfortunately haven't heard anything about unreleased tracks, but will ask if I see him again.

Yes it was Gus's studio. When I heard the Elton John tracks coming straight from Sonoma i asked "what's wrong with the piano?" and you could see his shoulders drop....He then said "I wish they sent me the master tapes, but they only gave me the pro tools sessions." I assumed based on his response that he wasn't happy with it either, but you'll have to ask him what he thinks.

I haven't posted anything on SA-CD.net but certainly could....I only have one Elton John SACD but i like it better than any other PCM version i've heard.

thank you SO much for your responses! this is such a fascinating (but also rather depressing!) revelation in the story behind these mixes!

sadly I don't know Gus to ask him myself but if you get the chance to probe him further, it would be brilliant to hear more about the background story to the development of these 5.1 Elton mixes.

well i'd say where's the harm in posting your findings there too and seeing what the folks on sa-cd.net make of your news!?
let's face it, it's a bit sleepy over there at times, they could probably do with some fresh blood to inject into their forum!

I don't have the DVD-A mixes, I wish I did as i always like to show people the difference in format's....I will try to get a copy and post up a reply. Unfortunately haven't heard anything about unreleased tracks, but will ask if I see him again.

this could explain why I've always preferred the DVD-Audio to the SACD of this album! I seriously doubt my home theatre (or my hearing for that matter!) could fully resolve any actual differences between the two formats' presentations of this albums' 5.1 remix but.. you never know!?

I'm pretty sure you can still find a copy of the GYBR DVD-Audio up for sale at a reasonable price. Either way it's all good fun to rediscover the classics of yesteryear eh!

any info you could attain on the unreleased 5.1 Elton mixes would be most appreciated, thank you!

Back