The Doors - 4 New 5.1 SACD re releases from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think PCM has more variety of DAC's so someone arguably got it pretty close with their converters. Sometimes when converting you only hear the converters, or the converters color it a way that resonates well with you. What I was looking at was the waveform display between 24 bit and DSD which can be viewed here (1/4 the way down)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded/795

My main point is that when you're coming from Analog Tape all the color is already there, the converters should be sterile in their representation. If you want color on SACD, get it on the front end with different mic pre's or mic's. That being said, I'm sure Meitner's sound different than Mytek converters, and i'm sure the other compnaies that make DSD converters sound their own way. Ehh... When I heard SACD I was sold.

I think that PCM has more converters on the market so they probably have some that retain coloration. I think if your source is analog tape then the color is already there. I would rather have the most sterile converters possible to keep what's there present. if you're talking about recording straight into DSD then i would get my color from the mic and mic pre selection. I think that the DSD converters do a great job in taking a picture of what's there. I use the Meitner's for PCM and have no complaints, but I know they sound better on DSD. I guess what i'm looking at when i say "EXACT copy"is the waveform from source to duplication - here's a diagram ---it's about 1/4 the way down the page-

woosh! most of that went over my head! but thank you for all that info anyway!

although, it would seem from further discussion in that thread you referenced, that the advantages of DSDs oversampling are outweighed by all the ultrasonic stuff.. and that PCM resolves everything from the analogue source, regardless of what the wave forms show, as long as the bit word length and frequency rate are above "x" bits and "x" kHz.

I wish Neil Wilkes and other QQ experts would wade in here and clarify everything. I don't know enough about it all to chew it over with you sadly.. but I do know that of any high-res albums that I have in both SACD and DVD-Audio, I prefer the sound quality on the latter.

I still love my SACDs don't get me wrong and for those albums I love in M/C SACD that I've not heard in high-res PCM/DVDA, I'm happy to live in blissful ignorance and enjoy them for their own entertainment value and better than redbook CD quality, whether there's an alternative high-res format or not!!

I think PCM has more variety of DAC's so someone arguably got it pretty close with their converters. Sometimes when converting you only hear the converters, or the converters color it a way that resonates well with you. What I was looking at was the waveform display between 24 bit and DSD which can be viewed here (1/4 the way down)

My main point is that when you're coming from Analog Tape all the color is already there, the converters should be sterile in their representation. If you want color on SACD, get it on the front end with different mic pre's or mic's. That being said, I'm sure Meitner's sound different than Mytek converters, and i'm sure the other compnaies that make DSD converters sound their own way. Ehh... When I heard SACD I was sold.

The converters are a big part of the sound that you hear. I agree that SACD discs played through the Meitner converters are very nice !

I think that PCM has more converters on the market so they probably have some that retain coloration. I think if your source is analog tape then the color is already there. I would rather have the most sterile converters possible to keep what's there present. if you're talking about recording straight into DSD then i would get my color from the mic and mic pre selection.

i didn't talk about coloration of the sound by DAC during decoding. neither about coloration during recording. the perfect
recording/playback chain should have an absolutely flat characteristics and never alter recorded/played signal.
instead i said retain, which means in regards to respective formats to save incoming signal in it's origin. perhaps you agree that
sound isn't a stale, dry mathematical thing but endless variations of basic frequencies multiplied by neighboring to them harmonical microdistortions.
we can easily distinguish voices (and human voice is most complex fenomen in nature of sound), thanks to those harmonics.
the sources from analog medium of the past hardly can be considered as ideal storages due to their thechnical imperfections and limitations.
thus when converted to digital in best case scenario they deliver information about sound, which was able to retain,
typically in upper celling is limited to 18~22KHz. but i'm sure, you know that theoretically this ceiling for sound has no limit and
can go into infinity. when you record from such medium like LP with it's 18KHz limit, into 96KHz PCM, you can see active sound goes
above 25-45KHz, which in fact can't be on the source. so, mechanical vibration of the styli creates those harmonic distortion thus
gave to sound of LP it's charm which is prised among so many people. pretty similar happens with recorded direc to digital domain sound.
harmonical distortion of the acoustical sound, starting within basic freq. range, then continues way above and that's what we call "live sound".
sadly DSD has effective limitation at 22KHz and everything above is reserved for noise thus those harmonics, which gives liveness to the
sound, during DSD recording would be harshly cut off.

Being fairly new to this amazing group of people here (who all share my love for all things quad)...can anyone tell me if anywhere on this site there is a post/list of other titles that are anticipating a re-release/reissue of either SACD/DVD-A or Blu-Ray in 5.1 surround (or high resolution stereo)? I am currently selling off a lot of my collection (to help get my daughter a car and through college) and it would be easier to let some of these go (especially some of the more rare titles) if I knew that even someday they might become available again and I won't have to pay $100-200 per title!

Being fairly new to this amazing group of people here (who all share my love for all things quad)...can anyone tell me if anywhere on this site there is a post/list of other titles that are anticipating a re-release/reissue of either SACD/DVD-A or Blu-Ray in 5.1 surround (or high resolution stereo)? I am currently selling off a lot of my collection (to help get my daughter a car and through college) and it would be easier to let some of these go (especially some of the more rare titles) if I knew that even someday they might become available again and I won't have to pay $100-200 per title!

ah, the eternal question!

I suppose if the latest ELP reissues are a success, we may get a possible replacement for your BSS DVDA.. (although a different, hopefully even better, if that's possible, Steven Wilson one.. only potentially in lossy DTS!).

meantime there's always the Deluxe SACD of the same Kellogg mixed BSS 5.1 which is readily available and pretty cheap.

other than that, going on the short list you posted up on the Swap area, I don't think we'll see any Alison Krauss, Oasis, Carpenters, etc in 5.1 anytime soon to replace your SACDs, sadly :(

A good way to check what's Coming Soon in High Resolution is to follow the Coming Soon web section of the Acoustic Sounds web store at http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&ComingSoon=true

It has a series of filters on the upper right hand of the page that lets you sort upcoming releases by format type (SACD, DVD, CD, etc.) and then even more granular on each format page (for SACD they have Hybrid Multichannel SACD, Hybrid Stereo SACD, etc.).

Right now, they are showing 108 SACDs in the Coming Soon category. Acoustic Sounds also lists 1 DVD Audio disc as Coming Soon (see http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&orderby=13&ComingSoon=true&categoryID=23).

There are similar listings at other web stores that carry Hi Res discs including Elusive Disc and Music Direct.

Enjoy!

A good way to check what's Coming Soon in High Resolution is to follow the Coming Soon web section of the Acoustic Sounds web store at http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&ComingSoon=true

It has a series of filters on the upper right hand of the page that lets you sort upcoming releases by format type (SACD, DVD, CD, etc.) and then even more granular on each format page (for SACD they have Hybrid Multichannel SACD, Hybrid Stereo SACD, etc.).

Right now, they are showing 108 SACDs in the Coming Soon category. Acoustic Sounds also lists 1 DVD Audio disc as Coming Soon (see http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&orderby=13&ComingSoon=true&categoryID=23).

There are similar listings at other web stores that carry Hi Res discs including Elusive Disc and Music Direct.

Enjoy!

just the 1 multichannel SACD (Maeve O'Boyle from Linn) that I'd be even remotely interested in there though.. out of 108.. it's hardly a deluge of upcoming releases :(

$100 is a lot to pay for the box itself, not including the discs. $30 per disc x 6 = $180 Numbered 6 SACD box set @ $280 = RIPOFF

What does this prove? Audiophiles are the ultimate suckers, or at least Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds thinks we are.

I hope they choke on all 2500 numbered copies.

There is a book included withe the $100 empty box.

Throw in a Best Of The Doors original quad mix SACD in the box and I'll take it. Otherwise I'm not even buying all of the titles. I'll start with Morrison Hotel. Skip The Doors since the Japan SACD sounds excellent and has some really good bonus tracks which I'd guess will be missing from the Analogue Productions versions.

If you order today from the Acoustic Sounds website there is a 10% off sale going on and free shipping for orders over $79.99. I put in an order for 3 Doors SACDs for a total price of $81, and that's 3 day UPS delivery not some sort of smart mail.
I like using Paypal to buy from them. Be sure to put in the code FREESHIP79 every place you see a chance to do it on the form, so that is at least twice, otherwise it doesn't work.

The perception DVDs sound better all around. Fuller, larger sound with more bass. Surprising but TRUE! Don't bother with the SACDs!!!!!!!

Are you talking about the surround sound or the stereo? The stereo on Perception is remixed so could easily have more bass.

Are you talking about the surround sound or the stereo? The stereo on Perception is remixed so could easily have more bass.

5.1. Definitely a fuller larger sounds, clearer with more bass. I have compared SD, LA and MH SACDS to the perception DTS DVDs. The perception box set is much better!

Well, I sprung for this box set. I figured I was going to have to get the SACDs for scanning to the forum anyway, so I may as well go the "extra distance" and get the box. Not such a good idea.

I got it from Amazon for $247. It arrived today. Unfortunately for me, after I opened the box (which is a bit strange in it's design, took me a minute or two to figure out how it opened) I noticed the seams had tears in them, probably from the way Amazon packaged it. On the side was the "limited edition number" embossed in gold, and inside were the 6 SACDs and a LP sized booklet. Pretty underwhelming.

The box is huge, larger than album sized, and the way the cardboard folds and bends, very easy to tear/rip/split.

So, IMHO, the extra bucks for the box and booklet is a bit over the top. I emailed Amazon, told them I did open it, but was disappointed in their packaging and that the box was torn. Not sure they'll care.

It would have been VERY SPECIAL if they would have made a special SACD of the Quad mix of "Best of the Doors" and included it in this box. That would have been THE TICKET. An total missed opportunity, I must say.

So, since I haven't listened to any of these discs yet, I can't comment on the audio. But as for the box set, well, you might want to save your cash if you are thinking of going for it.

Of course, it's up to you.

I'll post a few pictures tomorrow in this thread.

Thanks for the report, Jon!
Normally, when it comes to DVD-A vs SACD, I will usually only go for the DVD-A if it is packaged with a CD (like the King Crimson reissues, etc), but other than that I almost always go for the SACD.
It's clear to me that if anyone can find a copy of the Perception box set for a good price, that is the version to get, cause you not only get the stereo and 5.1 mixes in high-res, but the Perception box has extra tracks and extra videos that don't come with these SACDs.
Meanwhile, I will relisten to these discs and give them votes. :)

I emailed Amazon, told them I did open it, but was disappointed in their packaging and that the box was torn.

Jon, I've returned stuff to Amazon that was damaged due to poor packaging even after having opened the product wrap and have never had a problem getting a replacement. It's a bit of a hassle to send the stuff back but if it's "fullfilled" by them at least the return shipping is free. Unfortunately there's no guarantee that the replacement won't be damaged as well.

I'd tell them you want to return it for a refund. Then order the 6 individual SACDs from somewhere else. Maybe wait for the next Elusive/Acoustic/MusicDirect holiday sale. Valentines day maybe.

It's clear to me that if anyone can find a copy of the Perception box set for a good price, that is the version to get, cause you not only get the stereo and 5.1 mixes in high-res, but the Perception box has extra tracks and extra videos that don't come with these SACDs.
I found a used box set last year at around US$50 on the bay and agree that it's the one to have. At the time I was thinking to buy two or three of the AP sacds but at roughly $30 each the Perception box looked good when available below that total. Listening to WFTS to and from work today, joy. Never expected to hear the Adagio in G minor quite like that.

Back