HiRez Poll Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Decided not to explain my rating of a 3.

You don't have to explain your '3' rating (though I wish you would), but don't expect anyone to trust your opinions when you do choose to give them if you can't give a reasonable explanation (or any at all for that matter) on something that goes against the majority opinion on here.

As far as I'm concerned, the only reasons that anyone should not seek this title out is if they already know that they hate Jethro Tull's music or they simply can't spare the expense for such an elaborate and expensive release like this one. Otherwise, this title is DEFINITELY worth adding to anyone's surround collection! :)

(And FYI, there is supposed to be a cheaper and less elaborate version of this surround title released this year if anyone is waiting for the right price before adding this one to their collection.)

I was able to trade another dvd audio for just the Dts dvd of Aqualung so I do not have the blu ray but the dvd dts version is exceptional. Traded it for Vince Gill High and Lonesome sound. Also a very nice dvd audio in MLP.

Paid $30.57 to Amazon for the new "Aqualung 40th Anniversary Adapted Edition MMXVI" and couldn't be happier.
It effectively becomes the 45th anniversary edition, and coincides with the summer I graduated high school, when it became a turntable (and FM radio) staple.
I bounce back and forth between the new 5.1 and original quad mix, tweaking the bass and sighing with delight.

From page 108 of the current MOJO magazine:

Tull zealots might smart at an 'adapted' version of 2011's 40th birthday box set: bar alternate mixes, it features the same material at a quarter of the price.
No qualms re the music: quintessential hard rocking' bucolic grot. (KC)

Paid $30.57 to Amazon for the new "Aqualung 40th Anniversary Adapted Edition MMXVI" and couldn't be happier.
It effectively becomes the 45th anniversary edition, and coincides with the summer I graduated high school, when it became a turntable (and FM radio) staple.
I bounce back and forth between the new 5.1 and original quad mix, tweaking the bass and sighing with delight.

I've experienced both ends of the aqualung purchase roller coaster...I bought the blu ray version late and paid $150 just to get the blu ray disc...this time around I only paid $22.46(delivered)for the DVD version...never had buyers remorse on either purchase..classic album with the best possible sound quality available..

"Tull zealots might smart at an 'adapted' version of 2011's 40th birthday box set: bar alternate mixes, it features the same material at a quarter of the price.
No qualms re the music: quintessential hard rocking' bucolic grot. (KC)"

That's a very misleading statement, as I'm sure most of us here know. It makes no comment about the lossless vs lossy formats.

"Tull zealots might smart at an 'adapted' version of 2011's 40th birthday box set: bar alternate mixes, it features the same material at a quarter of the price.
No qualms re the music: quintessential hard rocking' bucolic grot. (KC)"

That's a very misleading statement, as I'm sure most of us here know. It makes no comment about the lossless vs lossy formats.

Music mags like Mojo, Record Collector, Uncut very rarely talk about stuff like that....they seem to think it's outside their remit or they just don't understand it....which is why I am very grateful for forums such as this one and the Hoffman board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi friends!!

The box with the blu ray audio is too expensive for me. Is there significant differences in sound quality between dvd and blu ray ?

Thanks

Hi friends!!

The box with the blu ray audio is too expensive for me. Is there significant differences in sound quality between dvd and blu ray ?

Thanks

The dvd multichannel mix will be glitch free unlike the bluray. It will also be a bit better in the mastering department but the bluray was far from bad. Full bitrate dts dvd vs uncompressed pcm on the bluray. I have no problem with dts dvd, the difference is not significant imo.

It all depends on how you feel about lossless vs lossy. For me personally, yes, there is a significant difference.

Bigger difference is the Mew master and the glitches on the bluray. Have you actually compared the two? Neither version is perfect, pick your poison.

No, I haven't compared the two. I already bought the blu-ray. For me lossless will always sound more realistic than lossy which is of premium importance. YMMV.

Right, but the comparison between the dvd and the bluray isn't just about lossy vs lossless as I have pointed out, and you don't seem to acknowledge that. No big deal...

Right, but the comparison between the dvd and the bluray isn't just about lossy vs lossless as I have pointed out, and you don't seem to acknowledge that. No big deal...

Do you have both?

I agree about the bluray, I have it and it does have those 3 audio glitches in it and the mastering by Mew did make it more bright than I would like but being lossless and fact SW mixed it were the plus's.

Ideally the new dvd would have been lossless but unfortunately Ray Shulman does not do lossless dvd's.

Back