HiRez Poll Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I'm hearing a buzzing out of the rears on the last verse of Locomotive Breath that seems out of place. Anyone else notice this?

That buzzing sound is just part of the song. You can hear it in the original stereo mix if you listen for it. It is just more prominent on this mix. My wife and I had this conversation, as to; What instrument was used to make that sound? Whether it is a didgeridoo, zither, Guiro or just some homemade thing remains a mystery to me.

Edit; I read on another site that someone thought it was just a bass guitar. Another added that it was "Static humming panel beaters". :>)

I don't understand why there's two sets of tracks provided (DTS-MA and LPCM) that offer the same resolution........

Not that I know much about this, but I'd guess the LPCM is for people like me who have a machine with multi-channel analog outputs and no dts HD MA capability, and the dts HD MA is for those people who decode the sound in a "receiver" or similar device. I could be wrong though.

Anyway I returned my sealed one to Best Buy today. Just couldn't see spending $150 for it.

I may go with a Barnes & Noble on-line deal. $143, but I have a 25% off coupon that expires on Sunday which drops it down to around $107 + tax. Of course if someone knows of a better deal I'd be interested.

Not importcds.com though. Not attempting that one.

the mix on Hymn 43 doesn't work for me - not as clear as the others
Had a few more listens and the thing that makes this tune different is that the mix is concentrated in the center space. Kind of makes it a more mono-ish, less discrete mix. We'll see. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Overall impression of the album now: to use some 70's vernacular - it is a mind-blower.

Not that I know much about this, but I'd guess the LPCM is for people like me who have a machine with multi-channel analog outputs and no dts HD MA capability, and the dts HD MA is for those people who decode the sound in a "receiver" or similar device. I could be wrong though.

You're close, Cupboy.

If your Blu Ray player has built-in DTS-MA decoding, you can decode it inside the player if you want. With no HDMI connection to your receiver or pre/pro, you must do this, as the analog inputs on the receiver cannot accept digital audio from LPCM or DTS-MA.

If your receiver or pre/pro has HDMI you can either send a DTS-MA stream to your receiver for decoding there, or you can decode inside the BR player, and set the HDMI output to send LPCM to the receiver.

Steven

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=267548&page=13

I do not like reporting this. 5.1, I believe there is another glitch at 41:27 on the Blu-ray during Wind Up. Front channels. (At about 41:24 on the DVD strangely enough).

F.......please confirm.

More on the first glitch:
The glitch at ~1:18 in Cross Eyed Mary is actually in both front channels of the 5.1 mix. Here's what it looks like in the front L and R channels:
attachment.php

I wonder why he posts over there with those stereo freaks, and not here where he belongs. Did someone over here tick him off? Did he ever post here?

I wonder why he posts over there with those stereo freaks, and not here where he belongs. Did someone over here tick him off? Did he ever post here?
As far as stevehoffman forums goes, there are a number of members there who are into surround - you just have to be on the right thread. They were very supportive during the campaign for the hi-rez 5.1 mix of Aqualung.

Mine finally arrived from ImportCDs! I now am OK I have five other items on order with them. I can wait the extra time.

Though, I have been eager to hear this. Will post review later this week.

My order of (2) arrived yesterday from ImportCDs. My cost was $76.78 each including shipping. I rated this fine box set as a 10. IMHO it is a rebirth of the original release, it NEVER sounded so good. Locomotive Breath is to die for. The Redbook CD's sound GREAT too, icing on the cake. SW did a GREAT job, I look forward to more efforts like this from Mr. Wilson.

I finally got around to listening to the Quad mix and all in all I prefer the new 5.1 mix. In any case, I'm giving this one a 10 (despite the audible glitches)! Love it!!!

Maybe I should order one from ImportCDs. The one I received from B&N is a bit dinged up. Haven't opened it yet because of that. I can return it to a local B&N within 14 days. I better check to see how many days I have left.

Does ImportCDs package these protectively enough to avoid dings/dents on the slipcase?

I don't understand why there's two sets of tracks provided (DTS-MA and LPCM) that offer the same resolution........

Because only LPCM is mandatory for BD players to be capable of decoding in 5.1
Neither DTS-HD MAS or Dolby True HD are supported for lossless 5.1 as a mandatory codec.
DTS is mandatory for Core Audio only, and Dolby True HD for stereo. Early Profile 1 players may well ot be capable of outputting lossless from DTS-HD MAS or Dolby True HD, and will instead output DTS Core Audio and Dolby Digital in these cases, both whilst still lighting the "True HD" or the "DTS-HD MAS" lights on the receiver as these lossy streams are embedded into the bitstream for just these situations.
DTS-HD MAS is usually picked over Dolby True HD as the support is widest, and the hidden core streams sound better too, plus with DTS you need one file - .dtshd - to cover every possible situation whereas with Dolby True HD you have to author with individual .MLP and .ac3 streams, keeping them in sync etc. Much more hassle.

In summary, the only way to guarantee lossless 5.1 at 24/96 on a BD disc is to use LPCM, as all players must be capable of outputting this.
If you use just DTS-HD MAS there will be cases where the actual output is not lossless, and the same applies to True HD.

Hope this clears it up!!

On the poll, next to the number 10 it says "Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content". That would sum up my review. Gotta be a 10. With the four extra songs in surround, this is as good as it gets!

K

Back