HiRez Poll Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Dennis, did you mean EMI/Chrysalis? I understand that Universal now owns all the EMI masters, and I expect that they assume the distribution agreement with Chrysalis, as well. I believe this box was pressed before the sale of EMI's masters. That, and the limited quantities of this release could make replacements slow in coming. My conjecture, here. BTW: Sony bought EMI's publishing.

Although I bought this box before Christmas, I've refrained from commenting and would like to listen a bit more before doing so. I've heard and read it all, and I love it. I have a CD-4 and I've always loved it. After more A/B'ing the 5.1 and Quad mixes, I'll weigh in.

I searched Chrysalis and was redirected to BMG, so maybe I contacted the wrong folks. Oooops, that wouldn't be my first mistake. With all of the mergers and acquisitions it's tough to keep up. Thanks Linda, I'll check it out. I'm sure I won't get any responses until Monday morning.

Dennis, I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, which isn't often. lol!! You are correct.

Aqualung box lists EMI on the discs, sleeves and book. It was that when it was pressed. Was it that long ago? Evidently, Chrysalis did not move to Universal (UMG) along with the EMI masters. What's even more confusing is that it's been Sony/BMG for several years. There is no mention of Sony or Columbia whatsoever on the BMG website. Perhaps one of our resident record company folks can address this. Did BMG now split from Sony? BMG IS now the distributor for Chrysalis, that isn't in question. You are correct, Dennis.

www.chrysalis-music.com Clicking on United States will redirect you to: www.bmg.com The site explains:

Since its founding in 2008, BMG has established a presence in eight core music markets and represents the rights of nearly one million songs and recordings including Crosstown Songs, Cherry Lane Music Publishing, Stage Three Music, Evergreen Copyrights, Chrysalis plc and Bug Music as well as signed a number of prominent artists and songwriters.

BMG is a joint venture between the international media company Bertelsmann and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., a leading global alternative asset manager. The company is trading under the name BMG Chrysalis in the United States of America, the United Kingdom and Sweden following the acquisition of Chrysalis plc.

BTW: the news section on the BMG website mentions that Ian Aderson was given 2012 Naturelife prize on 3/5/12.

I searched Chrysalis and was redirected to BMG, so maybe I contacted the wrong folks. Oooops, that wouldn't be my first mistake. With all of the mergers and acquisitions it's tough to keep up. Thanks Linda, I'll check it out. I'm sure I won't get any responses until Monday morning.

The easiest way to a woman's heart is not sexy talk or a romantic dinner. It's hearing, "you're right, dear." If you're smart, you'll make sure she's right all the time. Then, she'll treat you right. If you provide diamonds (not a nude Shibata), then, and only then, is it OK to tell her she's wrong.

Wow, I don't hear those words often. Wait till I tell my wife, she won't believe it. :D

The easiest way to a woman's heart is not sexy talk or a romantic dinner. It's hearing, "you're right, dear." If you're smart, you'll make sure she's right all the time. Then, she'll treat you right. If you provide diamonds (not a nude Shibata), then, and only then, is it OK to tell her she's wrong.

Oh yeah.... I'm well trained! I'm used to being told I'm wrong (and I usually am). That's why when you said it was EMI I just naturally assumed you were right. Like Tom Petty says "I get lucky sometimes".

On topic; I hope they make it right and issue new discs. I think the SW 5.1 mix on Aqualung was THE surround mix of 2011. It is a shame if they allow a few minor quality control issues to tarnish the effort as a whole.

From my experience, customer service people or staff in record stores (remember them?) have no clue on issues like this. Likely, there are no memos indicating what the issues are. Good luck in resolving this. Not to be sarcastic, but you'll need it.

I also got a whole new set (from Amazon.ca). But upon listening, I guess it really isn't new because all the same clicks are still there. I'll be letting Amazon know.

From my experience, customer service people or staff in record stores (remember them?) have no clue on issues like this. Likely, there are no memos indicating what the issues are. Good luck in resolving this. Not to be sarcastic, but you'll need it.
I'm sure you are not being sarcastic. But why are replacement discs being issued for WYWH?

Are the replacement WYWH's without problems? If so, i might assume that it's because they probably sold more WYWH's. From my experience with the record companies, they will fix major problems, but the minor ones are hit and miss in ever getting resolved. My bet is that with a $100+ box,, it will get resolved eventually. Way back when, EVERY first 2ch LP pressing of War's Deliver the Word skipped. There was a Clapton reissue CD that had the same problem. Of course, things like that will get resolved quickly.

I'll stop my rainmaking now.

I'm sure you are not being sarcastic. But why are replacement discs being issued for WYWH?

I had a lengthy chat with an Amazon.ca rep the other day. She emailed me back confirming that they are looking into my report about the ticks on the blu-ray and dvd. The item listing on their website has a yellow caution label with the following statement:

"Item Under Review
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.ca because
customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the
way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

I know it may amount to nothing but at least a message was sent and received. If we don't tell em fer sure they ain't gonna do anything.

Even if it never gets fixed this Blu-ray release is one of the best surround albums I own. I love it.

Could'n't agree more! I recently had an upgrade in my home theatre setup - out goes the Denon AV-receiver and in comes a Primare AV Amplifier. Last night I put this disc in for the first time since the change. Holy Macaroni! I was blown away again! The music, the resolution, the mix - pure heaven!

Bob, are the discs in the new set corrected???

I received my replacement BD disc, but it contains the same "Tick" sounds as the original. So I am returning the replacement. I notified ImportCDs.com and I also sent a note to BMG / Chrysalis inquiring about this problem.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up prematurely.

No, sadly, the new set has the ticks too... :(

Could'n't agree more! I recently had an upgrade in my home theatre setup - out goes the Denon AV-receiver and in comes a Primare AV Amplifier. Last night I put this disc in for the first time since the change. Holy Macaroni! I was blown away again! The music, the resolution, the mix - pure heaven!
Is that the SPA22? From looking at the specs it appears it does not decode dts HD MA, TrueHD or accept discrete analog inputs except for stereo. How are you playing Aqualung Blu-ray with it?

I finally splurged for this due to all the great reviews. It is indeed another fantastic mix from Mr. Wilson. He can do no wrong it seems.

I am also amazed at the sound quality of the original master tapes, given their age.

That said, I gave it a 9. I couldn't bring myself to give it a 10 for a couple reason:
- the cost of the package bothers me.
- the imperfections (ticks), although they aren't that noticeable or frequent.
- the LFE is a bit weak. I had to turn it up 2-3db to get it to sound right.

Those are definitely minor complaints. But they were enough for me to give a 9 rather than 10. 9.5 is probably how I feel about it. Very well done.

Well, I can finally vote and comment on this, finally got it today, after waiting for a price I could live with, $80 (still would like to sell everything but the br, we'll see if I have any luck w/ that- money is tight right now).

Definite 10 for me. Can't add a whole lot to the comments above- amazing 5.1 mix. So much clarity, spaciousness, dynamics. Not aggressive use of the surrounds, which fits the music, just adds lots of depth and dimension, for the most part. SW really is a master- what instincts that guy has! I enjoyed this so much I did something that I can't remember doing for ages- probably 30 yrs or more- I listened to the same album back to back. Admittedly, the 2nd listen was the quad, but it's still the same music- well kinda.

This is the 1st quad mix of anything I've ever heard. On the title track I was thinking that I preferred the 5.1; while more discrete, it lacked the cohesiveness of the 5.1. Almost gimmicky in comparison to the 5.1. It lacked focus, had a tinge of hollowness to it, I thought. Then in Cross-eyed Mary, I had second thoughts. The quad seemed to work better there- maybe because it was more "cross-eyed." :rolleyes: It seemed like Ian's voice was mixed in all 4 speakers, like he was coming from right over my head (my surrounds are about 2 feet above ear height and about 100 and 260 degrees, respectively, so not at all proper quad set-up; they are also run as bi-poles). So, I was still up in the air, so to speak, about the different mixes. Then, in Mother Goose, I heard some strange sounds. There was some percussion (sorry, too ignorant to know what kind) that sounded un-musical- very hard and flat. I was thinking that it had to do with the quad mix, but then I remembered I was using the dvd (wanted to try it out, but just added another variable in; in hindsight I wish I'd listened to both mixes first on br before checking out the dvd). So which was likely causing that sound (anyone else notice this? My set-up likely pales in comparison to the vast majority here). Then, when it got to Wind up, I was shocked. That wasn't just a different mix- a different master was used for that track- I am certain. The vocals were different, as well as a lot, if not all, of the instrumentation. Can't believe no one has commented on this. Or is that a common occurrence on quad mixes? Regardless, I definitely prefer the 5.1, but it sure is nice to have both, though I doubt that the quad will get many listens.

Anyway, once the album finished, I went to the Mother Goose track in 5.1 to compare. The unmusical sounds I heard were not there, though in listening closely, I could hear those drums with a tinge of the sound I had heard earlier. But those drums were more discrete, more isolated in the quad, so perhaps they just stuck out more and were possibly mixed a little higher. So at least part of it was the differences in the mix, but possibly exacerbated by the lossy encode. Eventually I'll go back to the br and listen specifically for that.

Anyway, a real treat. As others have said, a revelation. I love it when an old, familiar friend gets new life breathed into like this. Bring on Minstrels and Warchild!

Back