HiRez Poll Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Guess who's claiming that SW's Aqualung 5.1 remix sounds the same as running the 2-channel mix through Dolby Surround?

http://groups.google.com/group/surroundsound/browse_thread/thread/ed0ff32329a21788

yeah...that guy. :rolleyes:

Having read his post, and his comments - I have a couple of theories/comments:

1. He doesn't have his system set-up correctly for surround:

• Maybe he's got his receiver running in Prologic/DTS Neo/ or some other matrix processing mode rather than true direct source :confused:
  • His player is passing stereo to his receiver - because he hasn't set it up correctly :rolleyes:
2. He hates any miniscule difference from the original stereo mix:

• If you are used to the original stereo mix, then sometimes hearing the surround mix is quite disconcerting. I've noticed differences in albums that I'm really familiar with, e.g. Fear of a Blank Planet, Discipline, Lizard, etc.. yes there are some differences, but personally the benefits outweigh the negatives for me.

Anyway back on topic - the SW mix is "discrete awesomeness" and sonically this sounds the best it ever has IMHO - and Mr. Tull (Mr. Anderson) approved the mix.

Sheesh...

I've listened now, and I agree with almost everyone else here, this is great. My only minor gripe is that it could stand to have the bass guitar a bit louder in the mix, but they decided to leave it as it always was.

Having read his post, and his comments - I have a couple of theories/comments:

1. He doesn't have his system set-up correctly for surround:

• Maybe he's got his receiver running in Prologic/DTS Neo/ or some other matrix processing mode rather than true direct source :confused:
  • His player is passing stereo to his receiver - because he hasn't set it up correctly :rolleyes:

• Its good to see I'm not the only one who arrived at this conclusion. When he was acting like a fart in a skillet about WYWH, I concluded he didn't have his listening system properly configured. Its the only reasonable conclusion unless the fellow just can't hear properly.

Its good to see I'm not the only one who arrived at this conclusion. When he was acting like a fart in a skillet about WYWH, I concluded he didn't have his listening system properly configured. Its the only reasonable conclusion unless the fellow just can't hear properly.

I plan on using the phrase "fart in a skillet" at least once a day from now on. :)

I give it a 9. It is certainly top notch. I think the first track sounds a little light on bass in 5.1, which is probably just how it is. I can accept that. I deduct a point though for the price. I paid $82 after tax and shipping, and although a good deal compared to retail it is spendy for what I wanted (just the 5.1 and 4.0 mixes). Also, I hate having to wait for it to load. If I see a DTS-HDMA rip on the noid of the 5.1 I will down it.

By the way, to play the disc without TV in DTS-HDMA 5.1, the sequence is down, enter, down, down, enter, enter, up, enter on my OPPO. Just wait for it to fully load before attempting the sequence.

Cheers,
Mike

I have played the LPCM 5.1 mix straight through a couple of times now and I have to say, this is one terrific listen. The more complex tracks like Locomotive Breath, among others, particularly benefit. The bass is clear and deep except on the title track, as someone else has already pointed out. I do keep the grilles on and I have an extra covering I use over the tweeters in front, a strategy I apply to other heavily EQ'd discs (Genesis 70-75 comes to mind). And I keep my finger on the volume button to restore some of the dynamics that seems to have been lost in places - the acoustic tracks, but also others, come to mind. The guitar is clearly more prominent in a number of places, however, it being Martin Barre I don't mind. The art work is a tad faded, at least in comparison to my original 1971 album cover. This is something I have noticed on many reissues (KC's Lizard 40th anniversary CD/DVD being a prime example). Nevertheless, because Aqualung is one of my favorite record albums of the period, probably of all time, I sure am glad to have this version of it.

If I could change it now, my rating would be 3 (content) + 2 (surround mix) + 2 (sonics) + 1 (shear WOW factor) = 8.

Last edited:
Can't vote cause I can't play the Blu Ray, only the DTS 96/24 DVD-V Version, but here's my diatribe...

My favorite JT LP is "Songs from the Wood", followed by "War Child"; I have "A Passion Play", "A", all on minty LP versions, and I even have the box set "20 Years"(?) bought at Tower Records in Boston in 1988....

I know "Thick as a Brick" is brilliant and can't wait for the rerelease on 5.1, but I've never owned it.

I always considered "Aqualung" a very "dark" LP, but brilliant nevertheless-never owned it , but as with TAAB have listened to it quite a bit thru friends...

Now, the only splurging I could afford this Xmas was this box set and defects and all, glad I did.

I have listened to it a few times , but a couple of days ago , it hit me right over the head. Ian is an excellent lyricist and Side B is just beyond incredible.

I have a few conversions from either CD-4 and Q4 and there is no comparison sound wise. Mr. Wilson stated in his blurb that the sound quality from the Multis was incredible, and , considering how old they are, he's spot on.

This release is a revelation. Highly grateful..keep 'em coming!

I too want to be able to fart in a skillet, do I need aqualung before or after? can I just fart in a regular pot? or must it be a skillet? confused!! Can I do so with my DSOTM set?? If not why??

I too want to be able to fart in a skillet, do I need aqualung before or after? can I just fart in a regular pot? or must it be a skillet? confused!! Can I do so with my DSOTM set?? If not why??

If you fart in your Floyd box set, you risk the marbles shooting back up your ass.

If you fart in your Floyd box set, you risk the marbles shooting back up your ass.

Oh shit! Thats why my ass feels funny! (This was the laff of the day!) I'll learn one day-farts belong in a skillet, not in the floyd box! I'll have to get the tull set new, does it contain marbles? they are dangerous you know. And if there are no marbles it must be safe to use for skillet farting only? (pissing my pants-took me 10 minutes to post.

Oh shit! Thats why my ass feels funny! (This was the laff of the day!) I'll learn one day-farts belong in a skillet, not in the floyd box! I'll have to get the tull set new, does it contain marbles? they are dangerous you know. And if there are no marbles it must be safe to use for skillet farting only? (pissing my pants-took me 10 minutes to post.

It may contain a flute. Proceed with caution.

For those that received their Aqualung box sets from ImportCDs.com. I contacted them about replacement Blu-ray discs, and they are issuing replacement discs with the stipulation that you return the original. I am going to inspect and listen to the new disc first, to be sure it does not contain any of the annoying "clicks" before I return the original.

For those that received their Aqualung box sets from ImportCDs.com. I contacted them about replacement Blu-ray discs, and they are issuing replacement discs with the stipulation that you return the original. I am going to inspect and listen to the new disc first, to be sure it does not contain any of the annoying "clicks" before I return the original.
ImportCDs shipped mine on 12/1/2011. I do not hear any clicks on the Blu-Ray. I did post previously that the original "flat transfer" has loud electronic noise on My God, multiple instances of it in fact. This content is found only on the Blu-Ray and sounds great otherwise, all thing considered. I do not recall anyone else reporting this problem here. Of course this is completely different from the clicking noise that has been widely commented on.

ImportCDs shipped mine on 12/1/2011. I do not hear any clicks on the Blu-Ray.

The first "tick / click" sound is at 1:18 in "Cross-Eyed Mary", there are two more, one on "My God" and another on "Wind-Up". You need to listen closely to hear them. As I said in post #13, small caveats on a stellar disc, but if they are willing to replace them, that's even better.

That's great news. My understanding is that the DVD 5.1 also has the same "clicks" as the Blu-ray. And then, as others have reported, there is an awful noise on the original stereo mix of My God. Please keep us posted regarding the replacement disc(s).

Amazon just sent me a whole complete new set!
I do, of course have to return the original one but... hey!

Bob, are the discs in the new set corrected???

I received my replacement BD disc, but it contains the same "Tick" sounds as the original. So I am returning the replacement. I notified ImportCDs.com and I also sent a note to BMG / Chrysalis inquiring about this problem.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up prematurely.

Dennis, did you mean EMI/Chrysalis? I understand that Universal now owns all the EMI masters, and I expect that they assume the distribution agreement with Chrysalis, as well. I believe this box was pressed before the sale of EMI's masters. That, and the limited quantities of this release could make replacements slow in coming. My conjecture, here. BTW: Sony bought EMI's publishing.

Although I bought this box before Christmas, I've refrained from commenting and would like to listen a bit more before doing so. I've heard and read it all, and I love it. I have a CD-4 and I've always loved it. After more A/B'ing the 5.1 and Quad mixes, I'll weigh in.

Bob, are the discs in the new set corrected???

I received my replacement BD disc, but it contains the same "Tick" sounds as the original. So I am returning the replacement. I notified ImportCDs.com and I also sent a note to BMG / Chrysalis inquiring about this problem.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up prematurely.

Back