HiRez Poll Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Bigger difference is the Mew master and the glitches on the bluray. Have you actually compared the two? Neither version is perfect, pick your poison.

Did they redo it and send out corrected discs? Or was that TAAB that got a repressing with corrections?

Last edited:
I grabbed two box sets. I could if I wanted to sell off one of them piece by piece and make all my money back. But I think in a couple years time they will be worth more than we expect, might keep one sealed.

Great deal. I guess Warner decided they did not want to deal with this set and potential complaints, and dumped these cheaply at wholesale. I'd bet they do not contain corrected discs.

I don't think the price reduction has anything to do with potential complaints....this box set was released 6 years ago...it's about market demand...a cheaper version with the surround mix(a DVD instead of blu ray)was introduced a couple of years ago and people who didn't want to pay for vinyl and other extras in the expensive set purchased that version...

An illustration of diminished demand can be seen in this "deal"...the deepdiscount offer appeared on Steve Hoffman's forum on Friday night..so here we are on Tuesday and there are still more sets available...so either deepdiscount has a HUGE inventory...OR...the demand is not that great....I personally contacted a lot of people on this site and almost all of them had one of the versions or weren't interested....and when you think about potential sales...this forum and SHF are 2 of the hotbeds for hi rez customers..

Pre-ordered the original release so I could have the Blu-Ray disc, $119.00 , then sold all except for $75.00. This is a great deal regardless of corrected disc or not, I will leave it sealed and decide on whether to gift it or keep it.(y)

Normally, I am so all over something like this which is a ridiculous no brainer. It's just that I have spent over $650 in the last 3 months....and it just feels like if I buy it....it's just because. Do I need it? Hell no. Do I want it? Hell yes.... will I buy it? I have no clue. It's still in my cart.....for the cheap price of $33 shipped. Ugh....

Normally, I am so all over something like this which is a ridiculous no brainer. It's just that I have spent over $650 in the last 3 months....and it just feels like if I buy it....it's just because. Do I need it? Hell no. Do I want it? Hell yes.... will I buy it? I have no clue. It's still in my cart.....for the cheap price of $33 shipped. Ugh....

Whatever you decide to do...I'm still proud of you:ugham:

Perhaps the question to self should be "how much will I regret it if I don't get it?"

Sent from my Elephone_P3000S using Tapatalk

Gawd, I thought I got a screamin' deal when I got in on the importcds $76.00 pre-order but this is nuts.
If you like this album at all, jump on it for cryin' out loud.

I don't think the price reduction has anything to do with potential complaints....this box set was released 6 years ago...it's about market demand...a cheaper version with the surround mix(a DVD instead of blu ray)was introduced a couple of years ago and people who didn't want to pay for vinyl and other extras in the expensive set purchased that version...

An illustration of diminished demand can be seen in this "deal"...the deepdiscount offer appeared on Steve Hoffman's forum on Friday night..so here we are on Tuesday and there are still more sets available...so either deepdiscount has a HUGE inventory...OR...the demand is not that great....I personally contacted a lot of people on this site and almost all of them had one of the versions or weren't interested....and when you think about potential sales...this forum and SHF are 2 of the hotbeds for hi rez customers..

Has the big set remained available while the slimmed down one came to market? I got the impression it's not been around at retail, but only 3rd party sellers or used copies. Like the newer version come out after the first one sold out or was pulled from the market after too many complaints about defective BR disc. Then Warner sits on this EMI product for a spell and then blows them out at $10 wholesale to DD.

So no you say, it's been continually offered as a high-end set for the last five years. Ok

So you spend $683, Gene. If you don't buy it you WILL regret it. The recent Aqualung offering is DTS 5.1 and this is the REAL deal. Lossless. Sounds absolutely spectacular. And you have a turntable so the vinyl won't go to waste.:banana:

Has the big set remained available while the slimmed down one came to market? I got the impression it's not been around at retail, but only 3rd party sellers or used copies. Like the newer version come out after the first one sold out or was pulled from the market after too many complaints about defective BR disc. Then Warner sits on this EMI product for a spell and then blows them out at $10 wholesale to DD.

So no you say, it's been continually offered as a high-end set for the last five years. Ok

Yes the big set has been available...I know people that have purchased it long after 2011...in fact it's still available at some outlets...like HERE...and the newer version was available(and still is)at the same time...like HERE

There was no huge outcry because of a few errors on the deluxe set...the majority of people(like myself)didn't think it was a big deal...you can read the posts on here yourself...there is no big conspiracy involving EMI....

Yes the big set has been available...I know people that have purchased it long after 2011...in fact it's still available at some outlets...like HERE...and the newer version was available(and still is)at the same time...like HERE

There was no huge outcry because of a few errors on the deluxe set...the majority of people(like myself)didn't think it was a big deal...you can read the posts on here yourself...there is no big conspiracy involving EMI....

I didn't say there was any conspiracy.

It's on back order and has been for some time at importcds if you check the link that you provided.

Last edited:
So you spend $683, Gene. If you don't buy it you WILL regret it. The recent Aqualung offering is DTS 5.1 and this is the REAL deal. Lossless. Sounds absolutely spectacular. And you have a turntable so the vinyl won't go to waste.:banana:

The mastering of the 70s quad mix is stunning. And it's one of my top five favorite quad mixes of all-time. I have a nice rip of the DTS on my music server. But certain things one needs to have the real deal. This one is one of those.

The vinyl I take it is the Steven Wilson stereo mix. So that is unique as well.

Nor should there be .

What's not to like with this set, super priced Blu-ray disc of quad ,5.1and bonus 5.1 tracks (repeated with the dvd disc), a vinyl frisbee, and a nice big coffee table book, oh and some cds .

P.S. voted TEN ! , as #66.

FYI this bluray edition has the SW 5.1 mix treated to hyped high end eq in the style usually done for low res CD & mp3 releases and considered inappropriate for HD releases. The newer DVD release is the corrected version of this and has the missing tracks left off the bluray. The dts2496 format properly decoded is nowhere near as degrading as that "portable device" style mastering. (Improperly decoded however could easily cross that line. This has been discussed and the dts2496 format is certainly a ringer with some media player apps and hardware players when only core decoded.) I'd say the bluray version is not bludgeoned but definitely singed.

IMO, the criticisms leveled at the Aqualung BD were vastly over-hyped as is the wont on Internet forums especially at the time it was released.
Whenever I see someone trashing a release I look at their gear profile.
Most of the time they don't have one.
Overall the hi-res 5.1 version of Aqualung is stunning especially compared to any prior release and it isn't related to surround.
You don't like it? Fine. Name a better version prior to the SW\Mew version.
BTW, I gave up trying to inject my perspective into music releases a long time ago.
It's like arguing about vinyl vs. digital, futile.
This is\was a killer deal no matter how belated.

IMO, the criticisms leveled at the Aqualung BD were vastly over-hyped as is the wont on Internet forums especially at the time it was released.
Overall the hi-res 5.1 version of Aqualung is stunning especially compared to any prior release and it doesn't related to surround.
BTW, I gave up trying to inject my perspective into music releases a long time ago.

I agree with that for this one actually. I can hear the hype. Certainly next to the other SW Tull mixes and next to the newer corrected version. There are some truly destroyed recordings out there and this was not one of them. Just mentioning that this was in fact the hyped mastered version that SW didn't approve of (even though it still hits at a nearly perfect level in the long and short of things). I remember seeing this get read the riot act too. I didn't know it had a fan club that preferred the brightened bluray version to the SW approved new version though. There ya go! These dts2496 discs get read the riot act by those with media players or hardware that only decodes the core dts too. (Understandably so.) First world problems...

This thing was selling for almost $200 when it was the only copy of the 5.1 remix available. Probably a good time to grab one if interested.

Overall the hi-res 5.1 version of Aqualung is stunning especially compared to any prior release and it isn't related to surround.

Correct this was an exceptional release and I think sounds great on my gear, (partial to the quad mix).
And like arguing Stereo Vs Quad/Surround, futile.
Yes 83% off I should have bought 3......

I voted 9 on the original release of the 40th Box Set.

TOTALLY in agreement with you, Milt. The BD~A of Aqualung [on my system] was stunning in every conceivable way which is why I kind of waged war against all subsequent Jethro Tull box sets with LOSSY DTS 5.1 Steve Wilson remasters. They ALL should've included a BD~A, which, IMO, wouldn't have added much additional cost to the package. As I've stated numerous times, the 96/24 DVD~A Stereo remasters on all the JT DVDs were pretty astounding and clearly demonstrated the limitations of the DTS lossy 5.1 by comparison.

Seriously, if you're going to hire Steve Wilson to do a remix at least honor the man's efforts by affording his work LOSSLESS codecs as I know he himself would prefer.
Hell, it should be in his contract!

Back