HiRez Poll Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Is that the SPA22? From looking at the specs it appears it does not decode dts HD MA, TrueHD or accept discrete analog inputs except for stereo. How are you playing Aqualung Blu-ray with it?

Yep, it is the SPA22. I bought mine with an included HD Audio sound card, so it decodes all HiRez formats. In addition it do accept discrete analog inputs for 5.1 as a standard. Highly recommended!

This is the first release of a Steve Wilson mixed recording featuring a group I really like and am really familiar with. While I appreciate anything released in surround I just don't happen to be a huge fan of Porcupine Tree or King Crimson. So, I've been anxious to hear this disc to see what all the praise heaped on Steve Wison mixes was all about. Well, after hearing the Aqualung Blu Ray disc I now see what all the fuss was about. I think this thing sounds amazing. The clarity, the separation, sounds I never even noticed on the original quad recording, it all comes together in this remix of a classic rock favorite of mine. At this point, I would say this recording is my current favorite surround sound audio recording. In fact, I fear it may spoil me for other recordings. I started to listen to the original quad recording that came with the package, but I stopped it just a few seconds into the recording. It sounds SO different from the new Steve Wilson version. I agree it is really unfortunate that these great new surround mixes are only being made available in the big box sets with a ton of stuff I could care less about, but regardless, hearing the Wilson mix makes the pain of the price easier to bear. I give this one a 10.

A question (naive maybe) but a question all the same: does the blu-ray disc contain everything, and possibly more, that is elsewhere in the box?

Also: any news on replacement discs or is the feeling that that is now not going to happen?

A question (naive maybe) but a question all the same: does the blu-ray disc contain everything, and possibly more, that is elsewhere in the box?

Also: any news on replacement discs or is the feeling that that is now not going to happen?

I'm pretty sure the blu-ray has all the same mixes & content as the cd/dvd stuff, just in better quality.

I've not heard anything about replacements but maybe something did happen and I've missed it!?

Don't suppose anyone who has this box is in no need of the Blu-ray and would like to sell it?

PM me if so...

Problem is I'm just for the first time in my life reaching a point of having some disposable income, so it's all I can do sometimes to stop myself clicking "Buy it now" when I see things I really want, even when I know if I waited a few months I'd eventually get it for a quarter of the price.

Or- like the Carol King Tapestry SACD I was watching which just ended at 99p with no bids - I forget all about things until it's too late!

Holy Cow!!! I just heard this awesome mix over the weekend. What an incredible job by SW.

I was finally able to save some "extra" pennies for this fantastic box set.

I am in awe.
Mr. Wilson, I do not have enough words to express my thanks.
I really thought that I knew every nuance of this recording having been a huge Tull fan since day one.
I was wrong.

I particularly was impressed by the "fun" mix of - Up to Me
And the wonderful experience of - Wind Up

This was well worth the price! :smokin

So with all of the complaints concerning the glitches in Thick as a Brick, I decided to revisit this thread to see if anybody actually got correct Aqualung Blu-ray discs without the glitches. I have never asked for nor received any replacement disc so far, but it's not a big deal in this case as the disc still sounds amazing anyway! :)

So with all of the complaints concerning the glitches in Thick as a Brick, I decided to revisit this thread to see if anybody actually got correct Aqualung Blu-ray discs without the glitches. I have never asked for nor received any replacement disc so far, but it's not a big deal in this case as the disc still sounds amazing anyway! :)
I spent some time with Amazon.ca customer service about the glitches. They wanted to send me a new copy. I'd tried to explain that the discs would need to be redone by the manufacturer. Amazon said no just follow our process. So I did. They sent a new copy and followed up with me via phone. Of course I had to tell them that the dropouts were still there. They said that if the discs were ever fixed that I could get a replacement copy. That's the last I ever heard about it from them. That was back in April 2012.

So Amazon knows about the defects. They are still selling it on their site. If they can't, or won't try, to get it fixed then I doubt it ever will be.

I dithered for ages about getting this (the collector's edition) struggling to justify the expense and half-hoping that a DVD or BluRay only edition would be released. I finally gave up dithering, took out a second mortgage and ordered before it sold out and got even more expensive. Wow, am I glad I did. What an incredible mix, and what a collection of extra material. Not quite ready to review yet, having only just got it but it's going to be a 10, isn't it? ;)

I dithered for ages about getting this (the collector's edition) struggling to justify the expense and half-hoping that a DVD or BluRay only edition would be released. I finally gave up dithering, took out a second mortgage and ordered before it sold out and got even more expensive. Wow, am I glad I did. What an incredible mix, and what a collection of extra material. Not quite ready to review yet, having only just got it but it's going to be a 10, isn't it? ;)

I still have not bought this just cant justify getting the set with Vinyl in it would have been better to have a separate Vinyl set.

I still have not bought this just cant justify getting the set with Vinyl in it would have been better to have a separate Vinyl set.

That's how I feel too.

Would love to own this on DVD-A or BD, but cannot justify the cost for an elaborate set with the music in formats I'll never, ever utilize.

It's a shame really, they could have made one set for the collector and another for people like us.

That's how I feel too.

Would love to own this on DVD-A or BD, but cannot justify the cost for an elaborate set with the music in formats I'll never, ever utilize.

It's a shame really, they could have made one set for the collector and another for people like us.
I understand that viewpoint 100%. My feeling is that after buying it, that if I hadn't bought it and if I ever heard it on someone's else's system I would want to spend the money to get it. IMO if you really like this album then over the course of all the years you will be able to listen to it the money spent will not be an issue.

Back