HiRez Poll Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Jethro Tull - AQUALUNG

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
That's how I feel too.

Would love to own this on DVD-A or BD, but cannot justify the cost for an elaborate set with the music in formats I'll never, ever utilize.

It's a shame really, they could have made one set for the collector and another for people like us.

Join my club. I bought the DSOTM box and lost out selling the remainder keeping the BD. I got WYWH on ebay but lucked out. I have been after the damm BD of AL since it's release. But we won't start the box set rant again.

Newbi to 5.1 and this (incredible!) forum. Be gentle! Just got my B&W CM9 system a few weeks ago and very happy with it.

A question for anyone who can help... I just purchased the Aqualung 40th Ann. Box. Despite some of the issues identified earlier, I'm really enjoying hearing one of my favorite albums in so many formats, sounding so good, to my ears. I have been listening to this album in various formats for over 40 years now! But I am experiencing one issue. On all versions that are not 5.1, everything sounds about right when the (louder!) piano/guitar intro in Locomotive Breath transitions into the main song. There's the chugga-chugga electric guitar riff on one side, the voice comes in, and then the other electric guitar riffing comes on the other side. All present and correct, if in different places on the sound stage, depending on which version. Including the quad versions too.

On all the 5.1 versions, Blue-Ray and DVD everything again is present - except the chugga-chugga electric guitar riff is entirely missing. Entirely - not even a ghost of the riff. Also, towards the end of Moother Goose, the electric guitar doubling of the chorus riff is missing too - again, only from the 5.1 versions. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've checked all my wiring, and played lots of other music I know well - and everything seems present and correct on those 5.1 mixes - except on Genesis, Foxtrot, where Peter Gabriel's "A Flower" question is very muffled on "Suppers Ready"...

Is this problem just me and how I've set up the system, or is this an issue others have experienced? If anyone can offer confirmation, or a view, on this one, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

OK - I can't offer any comment as I don't have that particular set....but your post rings very true to things I've noticed....you have your favorite song and then can't wait to hear the 5.1 version, only to find certain passages completely gone...or at least "masked" to the point that they seem to be missing. A TRUE hi-rez junkie! LOL! I can relate...

Newbi to 5.1 and this (incredible!) forum. Be gentle! Just got my B&W CM9 system a few weeks ago and very happy with it.

A question for anyone who can help... I just purchased the Aqualung 40th Ann. Box. Despite some of the issues identified earlier, I'm really enjoying hearing one of my favorite albums in so many formats, sounding so good, to my ears. I have been listening to this album in various formats for over 40 years now! But I am experiencing one issue. On all versions that are not 5.1, everything sounds about right when the (louder!) piano/guitar intro in Locomotive Breath transitions into the main song. There's the chugga-chugga electric guitar riff on one side, the voice comes in, and then the other electric guitar riffing comes on the other side. All present and correct, if in different places on the sound stage, depending on which version. Including the quad versions too.

On all the 5.1 versions, Blue-Ray and DVD everything again is present - except the chugga-chugga electric guitar riff is entirely missing. Entirely - not even a ghost of the riff. Also, towards the end of Moother Goose, the electric guitar doubling of the chorus riff is missing too - again, only from the 5.1 versions. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've checked all my wiring, and played lots of other music I know well - and everything seems present and correct on those 5.1 mixes - except on Genesis, Foxtrot, where Peter Gabriel's "A Flower" question is very muffled on "Suppers Ready"...

Is this problem just me and how I've set up the system, or is this an issue others have experienced? If anyone can offer confirmation, or a view, on this one, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

The "chugga-chugga" you are looking for is in the rear speakers in Stephen Wilson's new 5.1 mix. If you aren't hearing it, you may have your system configured to process the front stereo channels only to create a surround effect (e.g. DPLII, DTS Neo 6 or some other matrixed format) and you are missing the information in the rear and center channels. You need to configure your system to play this disk (or any discrete disk) in discrete 5.1 mode. If you could tell us which receiver you have, we may be able to help you configure it properly.

what player are you using? and what avr do you employ. also what hook up is used? (HDMI/analog/etc.)

Sukothai and leevitalone1 - thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I certainly appreciate it.

With my B&W CM9 surround system, I am using an Oppo BDP-103 and a Marantz SR7007 all connected through HDMI.

And when I listen to Locomotive Breath, here's how it goes on 5.1 surround:
- Intro piano at the front, slight bias to the right.
- Intro guitar at the back, bias to the left, with echo or reverb to the right.
- Then everything else comes in at the front - but with no "chugga-chugga" anywhere. Rear speakers DO sound suspiciously quiet at this point.
- And I can hear the undulating base in a way I never really noticed before on my old player.
- Then at the end of the verse, or maybe it is the chorus, the high pitched guitar comes on across both rear speakers.

Just been listening to Avalon by Roxy, and LA Woman, and all sounds present and correct in the 5.1 mixes.

Any advice, entirely welcome. Thanks in advance for your help...

Sukothai and leevitalone1 - thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I certainly appreciate it.

With my B&W CM9 surround system, I am using an Oppo BDP-103 and a Marantz SR7007 all connected through HDMI.

- Then everything else comes in at the front - but with no "chugga-chugga" anywhere. Rear speakers DO sound suspiciously quiet at this point.
- And I can hear the undulating base in a way I never really noticed before on my old player.
- Then at the end of the verse, or maybe it is the chorus, the high pitched guitar comes on across both rear speakers.

Just been listening to Avalon by Roxy, and LA Woman, and all sounds present and correct in the 5.1 mixes.

Well one thing, you are observant!! That is (for lack of a better term) effin bizzare. I don't know what to think, unless the oppo is not setup correctly. When playing hit display and see what track you are reading. Using HDMI gives the avr the work. check the marantz also. Be sure it is correct in setup. That, is the only thing I can think of that may be the issue.
Also, one good test is employing the 5.1 analog ports. This way the oppo will do all the work, with the marantz just being an amp. But your oppo must be set correctly using the crossover for the sub. let us know?

I just checked this - it all plays fine on my set-up (via analog outs)...

I compared to the New SW and original stereo mixes and the chugga chugga is there in all mixes...

Questions:

You are playing the blu-ray - right?

What audio stream - LPCM 5.1 or DTS-HD MA?

What settings do you have set in your Oppo for HDMI Audio? Auto, LPCM, Bitstream or Off?

Is there any processing being done in your receiver? Are you sure your not running it through Dolby Pro Logic or DTS Neo?

I found the Marantz SR7007 manual on the web and it appears to me it does not support multi-channel LPCM - only stereo LPCM. It does support multi-channel DTS HD Master Audio; so you will need to make sure this mode is selected when you play the Blu-ray. I suspect you are defaulting to LPCM mode and only getting the stereo front channels.

Another thing to check is whether Audyssey DSX mode is enabled. Make sure it is off. This feature somehow expands the front channels and may be interfering with the discrete channels on the disk.

I found the Marantz SR7007 manual on the web and it appears to me it does not support multi-channel LPCM - only stereo LPCM. It does support multi-channel DTS HD Master Audio; so you will need to make sure this mode is selected when you play the Blu-ray. I suspect you are defaulting to LPCM mode and only getting the stereo front channels.

Another thing to check is whether Audyssey DSX mode is enabled. Make sure it is off. This feature somehow expands the front channels and may be interfering with the discrete channels on the disk.

very good point re: Audyssey. I've said it on QQ before but I think its worth my repeating here/now, Audyssey MultEQ on my Denon AVR totally screws up channel placement/steering of discrete surround content to the point where I have to shut it off altogether. just sayin'.. :eek:

Thanks so much, everyone - really appreciate the help! And the speedy replies...

Headlines:
- Playing the blu-ray - definitely.
- I've tried both audio streams - LPCM 5.1 or DTS-HD MA, and hear exactly the same result.
- My Oppo is on Auto for HDMI Audio - and I've tried LPCM, and Bitstream = same result.
- Processing being done in your receiver? I think I've turned everything off, including Audyssey DSX.

So I tried the blu-ray disc on my Panasonic DMP-BDT220. It doesn't play SACDs or DVD-a - but it does play blu-ray, I just remembered. And - it is all there - the chugga-chugga on Locomotive Breath, AND the electric guitar at the end of Mother Goose - both on the rear channels. Brilliant! So my Receiver is OK, and my speaker set up is OK, but the Oppo is not... I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I want to use the Oppo, obviously, because of my new SACD and DVD-a collection, but now I'm worried that it is missing playback information, on other discs.

Here are the Oppo audio settings. I have tried them in various formats to see if I could solve this problem - so this is the latest set up:
Audio Format:
- HDMI Audio: Auto
- SACD Output: PCM
- HDCD Decoding: Off
Audio Processing:
- Crossover: 80Hz
- Dynamic range control: Off
- DTS Neo:6 Mode: Off

I don't want to be become a royal-pain-in-the-ass on my first set of posts here - but if anyone can help, please let me know. Thanks for your time again - cheers!

Thanks so much, everyone - really appreciate the help! And the speedy replies...

Headlines:
- I've tried both audio streams - LPCM 5.1 or DTS-HD MA, and hear exactly the same result.
- My Oppo is on Auto for HDMI Audio - and I've tried LPCM, and Bitstream = same result.
- Processing being done in your receiver? I think I've turned everything off, including Audyssey DSX.

So I tried the blu-ray disc on my Panasonic DMP-BDT220. It doesn't play SACDs or DVD-a - but it does play blu-ray, I just remembered. And - it is all there - the chugga-chugga on Locomotive Breath, AND the electric guitar at the end of Mother Goose - both on the rear channels. Brilliant! So my Receiver is OK, and my speaker set up is OK, but the Oppo is not... I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I want to use the Oppo, obviously, because of my new SACD and DVD-a collection, but now I'm worried that it is missing playback information, on other discs.

Here are the Oppo audio settings. I have tried them in various formats to see if I could solve this problem - so this is the latest set up:
Audio Format:
Audio Processing:

I don't want to be become a royal-pain-in-the-ass on my first set of posts here - but if anyone can help, please let me know. Thanks for your time again - cheers!

Oppo rules, cannot fathom its a problem there...

Headlines:

Audio Format:
Audio Processing:

Again: bizzare!! You have eveything set right. One more "test"? Have you tried the 5.1 analog? I would say if possible try it. But, in any event, at this point I would contact Oppo and tell them what you are experiencing. IT may be glitch, but they will sort it out, one way or another. If you must send it, turn over time is fast. Start on a Monday I bet you will have it back before weeks end. I imagine you have attempted replacing the HDMI cable? They do go south. But, give the 5.1 a try. I see the maranz has the in ports. IT does happen that electronic parts are subject to failure and with the IC chips you can't tell anymore visually. The analog out section is not part of the HDMI output, so there may be a difference. That 103 has a nice analog section, a nice dac in it. Also, this is a "new" model. It could be it has some bugs. It's probably still under warranty!
But, knowing Oppo has top of the line service, you will get it right.

HDMI connection and the avr does the decoding, bass management etc. Using analog and the Oppo takes over that job. So, there is a seperate audio method involved, and it should tell you something. If it plays right-you have narrowed it down. Let us know?

Thanks LeevitAlone1... I wasn't sure how to try the 5.1 analog, so before going there, I took your other advice and replaced the HDMI cable.

AND?

It worked!!!!!!!!!! Perfectly. Aqualung now definitely has all bits present and correct. Got my chugga-chugga back, big time. And other (smaller) issues I was concerned about on e.g. Genesis' Foxtrot have now been entirely resolved too.

Many, many thanks everyone - so appreciate the input. And it was the simplest solution, as LeevitAlone1 offered, change the cable!! Dear goodness... Sometimes the answer is the obvious one, and the one you would never have thought of on your own, without an early prompt from some helpful soul. Thank you, Sir!! Now to sit back and enjoy Aqualung in its entirely in full surround... Cheers!

...btw (and to add some value) to do 5.1 analog you would need to connect your player to your decoder via a multi-channel (6-line) cable (assuming your player has six analog outs and your decoder has six analog ins, that is) and select analog in, sometimes called direct in on your decoder. This in itself is often worth a try anyway as it's not completely unknown for analog in (where all the decoding is done by the player) to sound better than digital (where the decoding is done by the decoder.)

Thanks LeevitAlone1... I wasn't sure how to try the 5.1 analog, so before going there, I took your other advice and replaced the HDMI cable.

AND?

It worked!!!!!!!!!! Perfectly. Aqualung now definitely has all bits present and correct. Got my chugga-chugga back, big time. And other (smaller) issues I was concerned about on e.g. Genesis' Foxtrot have now been entirely resolved too.

Many, many thanks everyone - so appreciate the input. And it was the simplest solution, as LeevitAlone1 offered, change the cable!! Dear goodness... Sometimes the answer is the obvious one, and the one you would never have thought of on your own, without an early prompt from some helpful soul. Thank you, Sir!! Now to sit back and enjoy Aqualung in its entirely in full surround... Cheers!

Great news!! I am so glad it was simple. The 5.1 goes as follows, there is on rca cable for each channel,and the sub. You simply put in the cables to the correct ports. 6 in all for 5.1. Some advice now, get some Doxit and Deoxit Gold. It will clean the cable ends and rca ports, then use the gold to protect against corrosion. Use it on eveything. I did all my cables ends and hdmi lines. all the red shit came off them. It will make the system sound and look better also. The HDMI cable you had either went bad (they do go) or it was off version 1.3. I see monoprice with a real nice cable cheap! I keep spares.

Thanks everyone - for all the help and advice. And leevitalone1 for solving the issue with his reference to the HDMI cable...
Brilliant!!
A very nice welcome to a newbie! And much appreciated, everyone...

Back