Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Best of Pink Floyd Blu-ray coming november 29

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    I can't fathom that anyone thought this was ever legit. It yelled 'bogus' from the start.
    That.

Seriously, you don't get an authorized Pink Floyd release of any sort just out of the blue.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 0tto's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    Maybe he just wanted Roger Waters to notice him.
    actually i thought this is legitimate release albeit never doubted that this is an upmix from stereo source.
    i didn't know that amazon sells such merchandise from private merchants.
    so, technically speaking i can set up in basement production line of homebrew upmixes and make the fortune
    by selling this crap thru amazon?

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DKA View Post
    That.

Seriously, you don't get an authorized Pink Floyd release of any sort just out of the blue.

I guess some were fooled by the many many times that PF has licensed their music....

400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't surprise me, but it does bum be me out a lttle since his mixes might have been better than JG's

Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 878
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wanners View Post
    This doesn't surprise me, but it does bum be me out a lttle since his mixes might have been better than JG's
    Any even half decent (real) surround mixes of any of The Wall or Animals would be amazing...pity...

Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

@wanners: Jero's mixes aren't better than Guthrie's. Trust me; I've HEARD them (on those rare occasions, that is, when Mr. Jero's homemade discs didn't malfunction in BOTH my Sony and Yamaha BD players), and they're simply nowhere near being in that league. @LizardKing: Well, the Wall box will be out in March 2012 and will contain 5.1 mixes. As for "Animals," I'm hoping it's high on the Floyd's list -- that album was somewhat poorly recorded because of the band's difficulties with its own Britannia Row Studios; despite that or perhaps even because of it, I think it could be sorted out very nicely.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maelje View Post
    OK, here's the story on Mr. Alexander Jero:

Up till this point, he's mostly been involved in releasing discs related to the classical field. I say "related" because, even in these cases, his actions have been questionable to say the least. Basically, all these 7.1 mixes he's been releasing are seriously flawed. Example: I bought his Gershwin "Rhapsody in Blue" disc featuring pianists Yuki and Tomuko Mack, who sell most of their music through CD Baby. In addition to being a very mediocre disc musically, the damned thing wouldn't even play properly in my BD player, and several other people who've bought this disc through amazon have had EXACTLY the same experience.

In addition, the disc and the artwork on this "release" appear to have been homemade, most likely on Jero's own computer.

Fortunately for me, I contacted the seller of this disc and, after explaining the problems with it, was given a full refund. (Amusing side note: Before I even offered to return it, the seller instructed me to keep it or destroy it, whichever I preferred.)

Several other discs produced and/or played and released by Mr. Jero have had similar problems -- very shoddy quality when it comes to art and disc, and serious problems with the disc's playability. Here's an excerpt from an amazon review of Jero's version of Beethoven's Ninth, the subtitle of which, by the way, Jero has taken upon himself to rechristen, "Ode to JEWISH Freedom":

"I cannot believe how utterly amateurish is the packaging and presentation for this expensive product. When I opened the Amazon package I initially thought that I must have been sent a cheap and dodgy bootleg product. (This) is a recordable (burned) DVD disc with an inkjet printed label - and there is no booklet or liner note information, just the 5 chapter descriptions and the instruction "for more information about this recording please visit www.music-blu-ray.com" (and from that site there are no details of the musicians, or the methodology of the recording)."

Well-said. As for the odd "Ode to Jewish Freedom" designation of Beethoven's Ninth: One of Mr. Jero's tactics, apparently, is to accuse anyone who dares to criticize him of being anti-Semitic. Mere hours after I contributed to an amazon customer discussion expressing skepticism about the Floyd disc, Mr. Jero revised the credit on the disc from "Alexander Jero Custom Audiophile Presentation [7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Disc] [Blu-ray Audio] ( Alexander Jero)" to "Alexander Jero Custom Audiophile Presentation [7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Disc] [Blu-ray Audio] ( Alexander Jero/ Roger Waters Fight Against Antisemitizm Contribution)."

For those who are not fans of Pink Floyd: Roger Waters was accused a few years back of anti-Semitism and was forced to defend himself (which he did, rather eloquently in my opinion). How Mr. Jero thought referencing this would help his case, I don't know. For those who are not classical fans: Beethoven's Ninth includes words from a poem, "Ode to Joy," composed by Friedrich Schiller. On his 1989 recording of the Ninth, recorded in connection with the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, conductor/composer Leonard Bernstein did tag the resulting product "Ode to Freedom," owing to the occasion. But how this became "Ode to Jewish Freedom" in Mr. Jero's mind is not clear to me. What is clear is this: Again, his favorite tactics appear to include evasion and, when he views himself as being under attack, wild, nonsensical allegations of anti-Semitic speech or behavior toward him.

Also, from what admittedly little research I have done, from what I can see, NONE of Mr. Jero's discs have been authorized in any way by the original artists.

Till now, he has been careful to choose things that are either in the public domain or have a lower profile. But when he chose to release this Pink Floyd disc, he apparently went too far. Several people, including myself, tried to question the legitimacy of this disc. Mr. Jero, on several threads and websites, gave evasive answers, but did appear to indicate that Pink Floyd knew of and approved of what he was doing. Yet there was NOTHING official on the Floyd's web site, and several of the big Floyd fan sites expressed skepticism that this was a Pink Floyd release or was authorized in any way by the surviving band members.

As of this writing, amazon has pulled the disc from its product listings, and apparently has pulled ALL Jero releases planned for this release date, of which there were several. I'm assuming amazon has refunded purchasers for any order that was in progress related to the Floyd discs or any other of Mr. Jero's discs that were set for the Nov. 29 release date.

Based on the above facts: In my opinion, Mr. Jero is a con artist of the worst kind. He clearly, intentionally tried to persuade users of amazon's web site that his "Best of Pink Floyd" was authorized by the band, when in fact it was not. He responded to queries about his activities with accusations that, because of their serious nature yet total LACK of evidence or grounding, constitute some awful, vicious slurs themselves. His dishonesty and hostility toward his "audience" is matched only by his amateurish, even incompetent, productions.

Quite a number of bands and solo artists have become frustrated in recent years with traditional record companies and music distribution channels. Some of them have responded by acting professionally and releasing their music on their own terms. Unfortunately, Mr. Alexander Jero is not one of those people. Rather, he is the kind of "artist" who gives independent musicians, songwriters and producers a very, very bad name.

I do have some sympathy for Mr. Jero. Based on his actions and comments, it's my view that he may actually believe Pink Floyd authorized him to release this disc, though that clearly was not the case. His throwing around of these anti-Semitism accusations is much more problematic and harder to forgive; anyone who makes such statements without some reasonable substantiation is guilty of recklessness at the very least. Perhaps, in this case, they, too, are the product of a disordered mind, or persecution complex. In any case, this is an individual who deserves more pity than contempt.
    Update, 11/27/2011: Hard to believe as it is, Mr. Jero has just re-listed his "Best of Pink Floyd" disc for release on Dec. 23rd on amazon -- taking this action AFTER so many questions were raised, and after someone (Amazon? Jero himself?) pulled the disc from its Nov. 29 release date. Incredible.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Update, 11/27/2011: Hard to believe as it is, Mr. Jero has just re-listed his "Best of Pink Floyd" disc for release on Dec. 23rd on amazon -- taking this action AFTER so many questions were raised, and after someone (Amazon? Jero himself?) pulled the disc from its Nov. 29 release date. Incredible.
    Update # 2: Mr. Jero also has revived his "Al Perkins" pseudonym and is posting more five-star reviews of his own work on amazon.com.

Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading this I am unsure whether its a script from Groundhog Day or The Twilight Zone. Mr Jero clearly has the hide of a rhinoceros and enjoys the notoriety.
    He who laughs last.......thinks slowest

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Time Lord View Post
    Reading this I am unsure whether its a script from Groundhog Day or The Twilight Zone. Mr Jero clearly has the hide of a rhinoceros and enjoys the notoriety.
    I would submit, Time Lord, that the apt scripts might be "Death of a Salesman," "Used Cars," "Tin Men" and "The Flim-Flam Man."

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

The listing also shows Rogers Waters as one of the "Directors"!

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Maelje and Mr Jero's multiple personalities are duking it out WWF style on the Amazon listing http://www.amazon.com/Its-baaaa-aack...sin=B006F4S0CU its very entertaining but I'm trying to work, I suspect it won't last on the site too long this time

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star elmer's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I especially like the title listed on Amazon

"The Best of Pink Floyd - Alexander Jero Custom Audiophole Presentation [7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Discs] [Audio Art on Blu-ray]"

Audiophole???

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmer View Post

"The Best of Pink Floyd - Alexander Jero Custom Audiophole Presentation [7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Discs] [Audio Art on Blu-ray]"

Audiophole???
    Spelling is not his strong suit (same for Mr Perkins and Mr Stanson).

I wonder if he will ever catch on that it's "The Trial" and not "The Trail".

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star elmer's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps he was trying to spell Audiofool

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmer View Post

Audiophole???
    The "Audiophole" has resulted in a 33% price increase from the original listing, I wonder how many holes Mr Jero has dug himself taking on the wounded pride of the mighty Pink Floyd multichannel fan base

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

A pal of mine sent an email tonight to Kyla Mullins, general counsel for EMI. He asked that she confirm or deny that PF authorized this release. He also asked that, if it's not legit, EMI and the band make statements to that effect so that unsuspecting Floyd fans won't be bilked out of their money -- and that the product be pulled off amazon's site. He's to let me know as soon as he hears back.

As for my exchange on amazon tonight with Mr. Jero (he actually admitted, at one point, that it was him, all I can say is ... mind-blowing. His incompetence is matched only by his hostility. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Its-baaaa-aack...sin=B006F4S0CU

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star ChristopherLees's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    Blu-ray Celebrity?
    Celebrity would imply he's now famous....perhaps he's infamous...that's more than famous (so the Three Amigos movie suggested)...

Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

My $26.99 order shipped from Amazon this morning. I'll give this a review later in the week.

Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

tomwrock, are you really serious about this? my order was cancelled.

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Time Lord View Post
    Maelje and Mr Jero's multiple personalities are duking it out WWF style on the Amazon listing http://www.amazon.com/Its-baaaa-aack...sin=B006F4S0CU its very entertaining but I'm trying to work, I suspect it won't last on the site too long this time
    Wow. One of the more bizarre conversations I've seen in a while.

900 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 356
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocialOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, its almost entertaining, wish it was a cable show. Does Amazon ever monitor what gets put up there? Talk about And now for something different...
    Last edited by jefe1; 11-28-2011 at 08:18 PM.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

So how actually does this guy produce his mixes anyway? I'm curious as to what the end result of all this actually is.

This is just strange on a thousand levels. How does one get something this bootleg all the way up to being sold on Amazon?

There are some strange characters in the surround world. I am never THAT surprised.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Most bizarre!

You know what's wierd? His HD-DVD releases (at least the ones that I bought) were not that bad and did not look like boots. I wonder if he lost a lot of money by hitching onto HD-DVD right away instead of Blu-Ray?
    :-jon

Level
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by depeche76 View Post
    tomwrock, are you really serious about this? my order was cancelled.
    Yes, Amazon shipped it this morning with an estimated arrival of Dec. 1, 2011. I ordered it on Oct. 30, 2011. What will arrive I have no idea. I will definitely post the answers as to what it is, the quality, etc. as soon as I recieve and listen to it.
    Last edited by tomwrock; 11-28-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast