Q4: Sony 854-4S Quadraphonic Reel To Reel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

If you have any more photo's or comments to make on this Quadraphonic unit please feel free to post them in this thread....:)

Sony 854-4S Quadraphonic Reel To Reel (1971)

Rarity: RARE
Average Sale Price: $350.00

Depends where you are in the world...cheaper in the US...much more in Europe. The last one I saw a few months back sold for around $350 here in Australia.

This was Sony's top model consumer Quad reel to reel introduced in 1971-ish. The hefty $1595.00 sticker price quickly went up to $1795.00...close to the price of a new car back then and way out of reach of the average consumer. A few musicians picked these units up as well (..I think Frank Zappa might have been one).

Sony 854-4S Quad Reel To Reel 1.jpg

1972 Sony Quadraphonic Reel To Reel Range with the 854-4S in the Centre.
Sony 854-4S Quad Reel To Reel AD.jpg

1973 Sony Range Ad with the 854-4S featured at the back...cut off by the page (..don't you hate it when they do that..!)
SONY 1973_Catalog DEC'73 A.jpg

SONY 1973_Catalog DEC'73 B.jpg

What an ad! I sold nearly every item in that ad at retail. I had an 854-4S, tape switcher and TC-110 portable. I still have the TC-161SD cassette deck and TC-55, which is the Walkman-size recorder.

Linda

Back in the day I always wanted the portable unit in the top right of the last picture. Never did get one. Couldn't come up with the $$$ since I was a kid. I liked those sliding volume controls.

Hi! Just found your thread. I picked up a brand new NOS Sony TC-854-4S last year complete with the SONY RM-16 Remote Control, Dust Cover & Original Owner's Manual for $799 + FREE SHIPPING. At first I though it was just a TC-854, but to my surprise it turned out to be a TC-854-4S.

Back