Jean Jacques Perrey, Hidden Quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Circular Vibes

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Hey all,
Just picked up "The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound Of Jean Jacques Perry", Vanguard # VSD-79286. I know this is labelled as a Stereo print playable in Mono, and that no quad pressing was listed in Mark Anderson's Quad Discography, but there was a quad reel. I mistakenly played it tonight in SQ and got what I thought was better quad than I have been getting from some SQ records. Is there a chance this is a single inventory quad? Is there just so much out of phase info to fool me? I don't have a quad reel or DTS transfer to compare it to. I would love to hear other members thoughts.
Matthew

It'll be interesting to give this a try, hope someone has the Q4 so a comparison can be made

Added:
have just done some research, seems the album was released in 1968, some time before SQ was in use, so i suspect it's probably just one of those lucky accidents

OD

I have that album on CD as part of the Out Sound from Way in, the complete Vanguard recordings of Perry & Kingsley 3 CD set. I will need to decode t on my SQD-2020.
0000492999_350.jpg

Perrey & Kingsley was one of the first acts I heard in Quad. It was two FM stations broadcasting simultaneously off Q4 reels. So, even though it was a 1968 recording, at least some of it was mixed for Quad in '70 - '71.

It'll be interesting to give this a try, hope someone has the Q4 so a comparison can be made

Added:
have just done some research, seems the album was released in 1968, some time before SQ was in use, so i suspect it's probably just one of those lucky accidents

OD

I have this one, too, and it decodes very well when played through a QS decoder. It's obviously not encoded, but I find this type of music tends to create a great quad effect when passed through a good decoder.

So, I just found this thread, and I know it's old. And it's a convoluted story as to how I came across it. But here's what I can add.

I have the 1972 "Quadraphonic Demonstration Album - Program 2" Quad LP Vanguard VSQ- 2X (SQ)

It Includes 2 quadraphonic versions of tracks from the 1973 "The Best Of The Moog" LP Vanguard ‎– DPS 2051
"Frére Jean Jacques" and "Gypsy in Rio"

I also have from 1972 "Quadraphonic Demonstration Album - Program 1" Quad LP Vanguard VSQ- 1X (SQ)

It Includes 1 quadraphonic version of "Flight of the Bumblebee" also from "The Best Of The Moog"

AND I have from 1973 "Four Channel Demo Realistic" Quad Reel To Reel Realistic (I'm not at home so I'll have to look up the Catalog number later)
It includes "Flight of the Bumblebee" as well, but it's the discrete mix of course, there might be another one on this but I can't find the track list online, I'll look when I get home.

I've also got "Surround Stereo Sampler" Quad 8-Track Vanguard ‎VAN L 71
It's got "Flight of the Bumblebee" as well.

So, I just found this thread, and I know it's old. And it's a convoluted story as to how I came across it. But here's what I can add.

I have the 1972 "Quadraphonic Demonstration Album - Program 2" Quad LP Vanguard VSQ- 2X (SQ)

It Includes 2 quadraphonic versions of tracks from the 1973 "The Best Of The Moog" LP Vanguard ‎– DPS 2051
"Frére Jean Jacques" and "Gypsy in Rio"

I also have from 1972 "Quadraphonic Demonstration Album - Program 1" Quad LP Vanguard VSQ- 1X (SQ)

It Includes 1 quadraphonic version of "Flight of the Bumblebee" also from "The Best Of The Moog"

AND I have from 1973 "Four Channel Demo Realistic" Quad Reel To Reel Realistic (I'm not at home so I'll have to look up the Catalog number later)
It includes "Flight of the Bumblebee" as well, but it's the discrete mix of course, there might be another one on this but I can't find the track list online, I'll look when I get home.

I've also got "Surround Stereo Sampler" Quad 8-Track Vanguard ‎VAN L 71
It's got "Flight of the Bumblebee" as well.

None of the J.J. Perrey, nor Perrey-Kingsley albums, were ever released in actual quadraphonic versions, except for on quad tape. The tracks you mentioned were only on the demo LP's you mentioned, as well as a Dynaquad demo LP also released from Vanguard.

Back