RCVR: Toshiba SA-504 Quadraphonic Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

If you have any more photo's or comments to make on this quadraphonic receiver please feel free to post them in this thread....:)

Toshiba SA-504 Quadraphonic Receiver (1973)

Rarity: SCARCE
Average Sale Price: UNKNOWN

Toshiba SA-504 Quad Receiver 1.jpg

Toshiba SA-504 Quad Receiver 2.jpg

Toshiba SA-504 Quad Receiver 3.jpg

1973 U.S. Toshiba Ad with SA-504 (Bottom)
Toshiba AD 1973.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Toshiba SA-304 I paid 4 dollars but the seller just put it in a box *no packing material* and the tuner shaft was bent, glass was cracked, to bad it was in decent shape. I was impressed with the quality, I want a SB-404 amplifer. How nice to see the ad for Toshiba.

I have a Toshiba SA-304 I paid 4 dollars but the seller just put it in a box *no packing material* and the tuner shaft was bent, glass was cracked, to bad it was in decent shape. I was impressed with the quality, I want a SB-404 amplifer. How nice to see the ad for Toshiba.

If your looking for a Toshiba Quad integrated don't forget about the Toshiba SB-514 AMP: Toshiba SB-514 Quadraphonic Integrated Amplifier. Great looking unit..!! It's not pictured on the ad above as it came out a bit later....I'm pretty sure it was their top of the Line Quad integrated....but very hard to find.

I spotted a SB-404 (in fact SB-404S) in the middle of a huge pile of various vintage gear offered for sale 'for parts'. I contacted the seller and succeeded in buying only the SB-404 amp. The original knobs were taken and replaced by unknown brand knobs, and the levers of the two toggle switches were gone/broken as well. Althought the wooden case was badly damaged as well, the faceplate is very mint, and therefore decided to do whatever it takes to have this unit restored to new.

As such, I already purchased a Toshiba ST-500 tuner and SA-400 receiver, only to demolish them for the necessary knobs and levers, plus that the SA-400 receiver has the same 'Toshiba TH-9015P Power Pack ICs' in the output stage. The latter IC being NOT a luxury to have 2 spare in stock. Another bonus was the wooden case of the ST-500 tuner, which is exactly the same as for the SB-404, and which is absolutely mint. So now the outside is fully mint.

After a long search, even found the service manual for the SB-404, which is a real pain to find !

Hence, I have all the parts now to revive the SB-404 into new and original condition. Just a matter of getting started with it (hopefully this year). I intend to do a full rebuild threat here on QQ with lots of pics.

I spotted a SB-404 (in fact SB-404S) in the middle of a huge pile of various vintage gear offered for sale 'for parts'. I contacted the seller and succeeded in buying only the SB-404 amp. The original knobs were taken and replaced by unknown brand knobs, and the levers of the two toggle switches were gone/broken as well. Althought the wooden case was badly damaged as well, the faceplate is very mint, and therefore decided to do whatever it takes to have this unit restored to new.

As such, I already purchased a Toshiba ST-500 tuner and SA-400 receiver, only to demolish them for the necessary knobs and levers, plus that the SA-400 receiver has the same 'Toshiba TH-9015P Power Pack ICs' in the output stage. The latter IC being NOT a luxury to have 2 spare in stock. Another bonus was the wooden case of the ST-500 tuner, which is exactly the same as for the SB-404, and which is absolutely mint. So now the outside is fully mint.

After a long search, even found the service manual for the SB-404, which is a real pain to find !

Hence, I have all the parts now to revive the SB-404 into new and original condition. Just a matter of getting started with it (hopefully this year). I intend to do a full rebuild threat here on QQ with lots of pics.

It be interesting to hear your opinion on the sound of the SB-404 once you get it up and re-built, there's not a lot of info on these Toshiba Quad units, but the SA-504 receiver is highly regarded and the SB-404 possibly has the same pre & amp section. Good luck on the re-build... (y)

P.S. Just curious....Was the SB-404S variation a stereo version of the regular 404...or a Quad model with added decoders, or something similar..??

I realise we go a bit off-topic here, but I still have to find out what the difference between a SB-404 & SB-404S would be. I have the service manual for the non-S model (purchased in the US), while my unit is a 'S' model, purchased here in France. As far I could do visual comparison, the manual is close/simular to my unit. Any difference will be revealed during restoration works.

The S version is not related to 'stereo', it's a full quad amp (4 VU-meters, and for 4 power amplifier sections). Quite fancy is the selector switch at the back to switch between 'condenser cartridge' and 'magnetic cartridge'.

Perhaps the 'S' is just related to a certain market, who knows......?

Back