HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE

• Total voters
Is it my imagination, or is the quadraphonic mix on this ever so slightly different to the mix on the DVD-Audio mastered from the mint quad LP?

Could that be due to imperfect matrix conversion? I don't know which system the quad LP used.

Here's two specific things 'wrong' with the two mixes.

'Welcome to the Machine' is the showpiece. You'd think the mixer would pull out all the stops for that one.

On the 4.0, the piercing synth leads fly off into the ether. They don't pierce. They mildly poke at best. That's wrong.

On the 5.1, they start in the rear channels and remain nice and solid, but kind of just present themselves from there. And the vocals, all centered, are too recessed (I'm guessing they are front left/right, rather than mixed into the center)

For god's sake, it's *surround sound*, couldn't you fly the synth around the speakers even once? WTF? Go listen to some Flaming Lips mixes, Mr. Guthrie.

(Though I will say, the EQ really is vastly better on the 5.1 than the 4.0. I wonder if the tape heads were properly aligned for the quad transfer.)

Last edited:
9 because they refuse to release this outside of an expensive box of random stuff.

Is the 5.1 any good? Haven't seen much of a consensus - I thought Gutherie's 5?1 DSOTM was at best a pale imitation of the quad with the surround channels gutted.

Wish You Were Here in quad is almost as good as Dark Side in quad, though. Who did this mix, it wasn't Alan Parsons right?

Listening to and comparing the Quad and 5.1 versions of this album again, I think I need to lower my vote slightly, giving each mix an 8. The 5.1 is a much more subtle surround experience, but presents the music in much better fidelity giving me the same experience I remember growing up, as I endlessly listened to my "24 kt gold" cd on headphones. The quad is fantastic in terms of discrete surround activity, but there are elements and fidelity lacking in the mix that make my enjoyment of the songs hit and miss. For example, the epic guitar solo in the second half of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is buried in the mix in the quad version, but really shines in the 5.1. The song "Wish You Were Here" in quad bums me out every time I hear it because of the missing guitar solo in the middle and the buried outro solo. Today I created my own "Frankenstein" version of the album that I can live with:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond- I used the 5.1 versions and merged them into a single 25 minute song. Epic.
Welcome To The Machine - Used the quad version but made some tweaks including adding an LFE channel so the room rumbles during the "machine" sounds (my dogs freak out, lol)
Have A Cigar - Used the quad version- perfect as is
Wish You Were Here - Used the quad version, but spliced in the guitar solo sections of the front channels from the 5.1 Guthrie mix

Edit: On second thought, I'll leave my vote as is... getting 2 good Floyd mixes on the same disc deserves a bump to 9 :)

Listening to and comparing the Quad and 5.1 versions of this album again, I think I need to lower my vote slightly, giving each mix an 8. The 5.1 is a much more subtle surround experience, but presents the music in much better fidelity giving me the same experience I remember growing up, as I endlessly listened to my "24 kt gold" cd on headphones. The quad is fantastic in terms of discrete surround activity, but there are elements and fidelity lacking in the mix that make my enjoyment of the songs hit and miss. For example, the epic guitar solo in the second half of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is buried in the mix in the quad version, but really shines in the 5.1. The song "Wish You Were Here" in quad bums me out every time I hear it because of the missing guitar solo in the middle and the buried outro solo. Today I created my own "Frankenstein" version of the album that I can live with:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond- I used the 5.1 versions and merged them into a single 25 minute song. Epic.
Welcome To The Machine - Used the quad version but made some tweaks including adding an LFE channel so the room rumbles during the "machine" sounds (my dogs freak out, lol)
Have A Cigar - Used the quad version- perfect as is
Wish You Were Here - Used the quad version, but spliced in the guitar solo sections of the front channels from the 5.1 Guthrie mix

Edit: On second thought, I'll leave my vote as is... getting 2 good Floyd mixes on the same disc deserves a bump to 9 :)
Would love to hear your Frankenstein mix, Sean!

Found this at amazon UK today for 48.70 GBP..seemed like a very fair price..thought I'd pass it on..great deal on the immersion box if you don't have t already.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wish-You-W...1&qid=1605199644&sprefix=sacd,aps,554&sr=8-19

Thanks, I've ordered one as I'm keen to hear the quad mix. I've no idea when that'll happen as my hifi is out of action due to ongoing home improvements and decorating, so it might just have to wait till Christmas time :)

I have the SACD 5.1 wish you were here and thinking about purchasing the Wish you were here Immersion box set for the Quad mix. Is the Quad 5.1 Blu ray mix in the Immersion box set worth purchasing if you have the James Guthrie mix already? I have the Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Blu ray box set and greatly prefer the Quad mix : Is the Quad Wish you were Here mix as great an upgrade from the James Guthrie 5.1 Wish you were Here mix? Opinions seem to be mixed on the forum.

I have the SACD 5.1 wish you were here and thinking about purchasing the Wish you were here Immersion box set for the Quad mix. Is the Quad 5.1 Blu ray mix in the Immersion box set worth purchasing if you have the James Guthrie mix already? I have the Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Blu ray box set and greatly prefer the Quad mix : Is the Quad Wish you were Here mix as great an upgrade from the James Guthrie 5.1 Wish you were Here mix? Opinions seem to be mixed on the forum.
Personally I prefer the Quad mix of WYWH to the Quad mix of DSOTM, there are extended pieces of music, more detail, as to whether it's worth the cost, that's another matter. All in all it was pleasantly surprising listening to the differences and more immersive (psychoactively) P.S. I also have the 5.1 which I never listen to. There are whole threads over at Steve Hoffman .tv on this very thing.

Personally I prefer the Quad mix of WYWH to the Quad mix of DSOTM, there are extended pieces of music, more detail, as to whether it's worth the cost, that's another matter.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest "extended pieces of music" has been removed from the Blu-ray version.

Back