HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE

• Total voters
Both mixes for "Welcome to the Machine" work fine for me, but I prefer the 5.1 mix. That is probably Guthrie's best surround mix (yet) for Pink Floyd.
It's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (my favorite piece of music, ever!) that I think Guthrie could have been a little more creative in the surround department.

The only mastering change I would make to the Quad mixes for both this album and "Dark Side" would be to add some more bass to the mixes. I know that they seem really bass-light compared to the 5.1 mixes, but they also seem pretty bass-light compared to other Quad mixes that have been recently reissued, but other than that, I think they are fine just the way they are. :)

The fan made DSOTM DVDA, from the origional tapes, comes a bit closer to how I want the bass to sound, that 70s style bass, massive quantities, but I still prefer the bluray because overall, the sound quality is better. I want it all, like the Chicago discs, large 70s style bass in a nicely clean sounding presentation. Would be nice if AF had a crack at it for their multichannel SACD series.

Yes. Let me try to make it simple for you. I like the quad mix of both this and DSOTM. I do think the sound quality could be improved on both of them if someone took a bit more care in the transfer over from the analog tapes to the digital format. I don't know what the condition of the tapes are considering they are approaching a half of a century old, but if they are OK, I think the sound of the bluray could be improved upon.

How, exactly? What extra care do you think Guthrie failed to take? If you understand what remastering is, you should be able make that 'simple for me'.

I realize that you don't care about that because you don't like the origional quad mix or the 5.1 remix...as I attempted to make very simple in my first post, I don't agree with your opinion. To say that James Guthrie and Alan Parsons don't have half a brain, because you don't like their mixing choices, especially since the members here have consistently voted them on top, really is more of a reflection on you and not their brains.

But at least I was talking about something concrete and simple for all of us to grasp: different mixing choices. I think opportunities for a more interesting surround mix were missed/declined by both of them. What are you talking about, exactly?

The fan made DSOTM DVDA, from the origional tapes, comes a bit closer to how I want the bass to sound, that 70s style bass, massive quantities

You sure that's not simply due to the fact that on the fan DVDA the bass is doubled in the sub channel and front channels? Some might (and have, here on QQ) consider that a mistake and even have made 'corrected' versions.

The fan made DSOTM DVDA, from the origional tapes, comes a bit closer to how I want the bass to sound, that 70s style bass, massive quantities, but I still prefer the bluray because overall, the sound quality is better. I want it all, like the Chicago discs, large 70s style bass in a nicely clean sounding presentation. Would be nice if AF had a crack at it for their multichannel SACD series.

I sincerely hope not.
The Quad mixes for "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" have already received their due on Blu-Ray.
If there's any Pink Floyd mix from the past that needs to be remastered and reissued by either Audio Fidelity or Analogue Productions, it's the Quad mix for "Atom Heart Mother".
Plus if that doesn't happen (for a variety of reasons) there's still lots of other great Quad mixes from the Sony and Warner Music vaults that either company can remaster and reissue in the meantime, instead of worrying about releasing another edition of either album.

Dark Side doesn't synch across all the mixes, so I don't see the issue. Wasn't it just seen as an error on the U.S. quad release? Isn't the UK quad as is on the blu-ray?

The UK SQ quad vinyl has the extra measures that were cut from the Blu-ray.

The error on the US SQ release is the weird appearance of the end of side two tacked on to the end of side one. That's definitely not on the UK pressings.

Dark Side doesn't synch across all the mixes, so I don't see the issue. Wasn't it just seen as an error on the U.S. quad release? Isn't the UK quad as is on the blu-ray?

The UK SQ quad vinyl has the extra measures that were cut from the Blu-ray.

The error on the US SQ release is the weird appearance of the end of side two tacked on to the end of side one. That's definitely not on the UK pressings.

Well, amazon UK is still selling the box but with the fail disc for £69.79 (minus VAT outside UK). I bit the hook as I was waiting for the price to lower and that was a great price! Now, after an enquiry, have two box sets with failing discs (clicks at the end of the 5.1 mix version). It seems Amazon has no more replacement discs but is sending another box upon enquiries!(at least in my case) :(

I wanted the memorabilia and the quad mix as I already have the SACD version, so I'm OK (now I have a present for my brother as he is a fan for this album).

So, if you want the box for both mixes, have that in mind!

By the way, this is an absolutely 10 for me! :upthumb

Okay, I know I'm late to the game here, but how on Earth did someone give this a 2?

That boggles my mind. :mad:@:

Even if it were mixed as five channel mono it would still have to rate at least a five as the musical content is a slam dunk 10. I don't get it.

Okay, I know I'm late to the game here, but how on Earth did someone give this a 2?

Even if it were mixed as five channel mono it would still have to rate at least a five as the musical content is a slam dunk 10. I don't get it.

Not long ago, we had a member who flipped out and went and messed up all the polls, voting low on everything.
Poor Jon had one hell of a time cleaning the mess up, wonder if it is a leftover from that? I can't imagine any one giving this a 2:confused:

Not long ago, we had a member who flipped out and went and messed up all the polls, voting low on everything.
Poor Jon had one hell of a time cleaning the mess up, wonder if it is a leftover from that? I can't imagine any one giving this a 2:confused:

He is not the only one...there are more "head scratchers" on the polls...and they usually leave no explanation for the low score..OR the reason given makes little sense...you have to just hope that some "normal" observer will rule out their vote and look at the majority of opinions...there are certain "low ball" voters that I have learned to just ignore...

He is not the only one...there are more "head scratchers" on the polls...and they usually leave no explanation for the low score..OR the reason given makes little sense...you have to just hope that some "normal" observer will rule out their vote and look at the majority of opinions...there are certain "low ball" voters that I have learned to just ignore...

I used to get annoyed with these torpedo votes, but before Cai left us he put an outlier calculation in the poll formula so that these wacko votes don't adversely affect the poll score in the tables.

I've said a million times here that I have no problem with how any member votes, however, if you are going to make a vote that deviates from the majority, it's only common courtesy to post just why you voted as you did. Your reason may make perfect sense to you, and you certainly do not have to defend that opinion, but it makes that opinion far more valid to the membership if you explain how you feel. This allows others to take your reasoning into consideration.

Oh well, it seems that I'm speaking to bricks many times..........:confused:

He explained his vote here. The vote seems a bit overly negative to me, but I understand the sentiment.

Thanks for the link, but I don't see it. What he says almost makes me wonder if his BluRay player is set up properly.

Based on his alleged quote from the mixer: "Oh I am so afraid of making it sound like 1975" and the immediate discussion that follows his post, I believe his mistake was not realizing this review is for all versions on the Blu-Ray, not just the 2009 mix. So I think he is primarily upset that the 2009 mix is not as discrete as the 1975 quad mix. Again, while I do think he overreacted, I understand his sentiment.

One of the absolute gems of my collection. Thankfully, obtained from someone with the box set who was willing to part out the blu-ray.
It totally opens up the album and makes it interesting to me. In stereo this is a bit of a snooze for me. In surround there is so much revealed that it is simply fascinating.
If this blu-ray doesn't sound awesome in multichannel your system is whack.

The 2 channel mix is brilliant. Neither the 1975 quad nor the 2009 5.1 mixes works for me. Disappointed by the choices made in both (for different reasons, since they are very different mixes).

Can someone tell me if this disc with numbers 50999 029438 9 3
Is the US or European pressing, or even neither (a pirate).

I am interested in buying a copy from a seller, and they are saying the disc and sleeve do not say where it was manufactured. But he provided the number on the center hub for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Btw I want the US pressing without the pops.

Can someone tell me if this disc with numbers 50999 029438 9 3
Is the US or European pressing, or even neither (a pirate).

I am interested in buying a copy from a seller, and they are saying the disc and sleeve do not say where it was manufactured. But he provided the number on the center hub for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Btw I want the US pressing without the pops.

50999 029435 2 7 is mine. Bought in just such a way. Sleeve and disc only. No problems with mine.

50999 029435 2 7 is mine. Bought in just such a way. Sleeve and disc only. No problems with mine.

Yeah the numbers are printed and not in hub area.

So yours could be a good knock off and one would never know- no country of manufacture?

Back