HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE

• Total voters
I bought all three Immersion sets when they were released. I was a bit skeptical about the cost vs. the contents. Having had, all these years, the original vinyl and the various original CD releases (never bought any of the remasters along the way), I didn't know if the new mixes were going to offer enough to justify the expenditure. But I'm very glad I paid the money...

Firstly, I've always liked WYWH more than DSOTM. I love them both. But WYWH just speaks to me more than the other. So, I was ready to hear the new stereo remaster when the box arrived. After hearing it, and loving it, I decided to ramp up my plans on finishing my surround system. I was always fairly indifferent to listening to 5.1 surround mixes of albums. The few I'd heard before, I found it to be too distracting after being an audiophile geek for the entirety of my life. But the Pink Floyd Immersion sets set me on the path. I just had to hear them in 5.1...

So, skip ahead a couple months and I am sitting in my den listening to WYWH and DSOTM (as well as my neighbors on all sides...whether they want to or not) and I'm thinking to myself, "Sweet Mother of Audiogasm". These mixes are really breathtaking. There are some very minor complaints, but nothing to warrant rating them any lower than a 10 on the Vote. As stated numerous times throughout this thread, Welcome to the Machine just stands up and flexes its muscles; contrary to how it sounds on older stereo mixes. The Shine On...'s are stunning bookends in surround. Gilmour's trademark, soulful guitarwork stands out in the mix perfectly. As I mentioned before, I found some of the first 5.1 mixes that I'd heard to be distracting. This is not the case with these Guthrie mixes. All of the important elements of the albums you love are intact and sounding better than ever.

Technically speaking, there's not much to complain about. The mix is extremely pleasant. Lows are smooth, highs are perfect, noise is nearly non-existent. The menues are minimalistic and intuitive. Mixes like these should be used in music schools to instruct.

Speaking from my audiophile side, it's important that the albums remain true to their original sound with regards to the mix. Many times, 5.1 mixes will fundamentally change something you've loved all your life and you have to either get used to the new thing, or not listen to it. These two Pink Floyd mixes retain their original body and just, quite simply, sound better.

Here's hoping they release 5.1 mixes for Animals, Meddle, The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse..., and The Division Bell. But before all of that, we seriously need a surround mix of The Wall that is as good as these have been.

I bought all three Immersion sets when they were released. I was a bit skeptical about the cost vs. the contents. Having had, all these years, the original vinyl and the various original CD releases (never bought any of the remasters along the way), I didn't know if the new mixes were going to offer enough to justify the expenditure. But I'm very glad I paid the money...

Firstly, I've always liked WYWH more than DSOTM. I love them both. But WYWH just speaks to me more than the other. So, I was ready to hear the new stereo remaster when the box arrived. After hearing it, and loving it, I decided to ramp up my plans on finishing my surround system. I was always fairly indifferent to listening to 5.1 surround mixes of albums. The few I'd heard before, I found it to be too distracting after being an audiophile geek for the entirety of my life. But the Pink Floyd Immersion sets set me on the path. I just had to hear them in 5.1...

So, skip ahead a couple months and I am sitting in my den listening to WYWH and DSOTM (as well as my neighbors on all sides...whether they want to or not) and I'm thinking to myself, "Sweet Mother of Audiogasm". These mixes are really breathtaking. There are some very minor complaints, but nothing to warrant rating them any lower than a 10 on the Vote. As stated numerous times throughout this thread, Welcome to the Machine just stands up and flexes its muscles; contrary to how it sounds on older stereo mixes. The Shine On...'s are stunning bookends in surround. Gilmour's trademark, soulful guitarwork stands out in the mix perfectly. As I mentioned before, I found some of the first 5.1 mixes that I'd heard to be distracting. This is not the case with these Guthrie mixes. All of the important elements of the albums you love are intact and sounding better than ever.

Technically speaking, there's not much to complain about. The mix is extremely pleasant. Lows are smooth, highs are perfect, noise is nearly non-existent. The menues are minimalistic and intuitive. Mixes like these should be used in music schools to instruct.

Speaking from my audiophile side, it's important that the albums remain true to their original sound with regards to the mix. Many times, 5.1 mixes will fundamentally change something you've loved all your life and you have to either get used to the new thing, or not listen to it. These two Pink Floyd mixes retain their original body and just, quite simply, sound better.

Here's hoping they release 5.1 mixes for Animals, Meddle, The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse..., and The Division Bell. But before all of that, we seriously need a surround mix of The Wall that is as good as these have been.

Well, you now find yourself in the obsessive nature of multichannel offerings. The BD sets are the best due to the addition of the 4.0 version that many like more than the Guthrie mixes. I myself do not care for the box set, only the BD disc is needed here. I was fortunate to get WYWH alone for a very good price, but got a banging with DSOTM. But who cares? I have them both!

Well, I think the 5.1 mix is quite a safe affair and I would have to go with the 4.0 mix, I preferred the quad mix of DSOTM too though...

For anyone who doesn't want to fork out for the whole box I recently noticed this one on Amazon UK...

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - Blu-ray disc only

I was a little suspicious at first, but ordered it and all is good. It's just the disc in a paper sleeve and I've no idea where it's from.

Also, there are no pops or cracks at 40 minutes onwards as mentioned elsewhere. Hope this helps someone out ;-)

Last edited:
Well, I think the 5.1 mix is quite a safe affair and I would have to go with the 4.0 mix, I preferred the quad mix of DSOTM too though...

For anyone who doesn't want to fork out for the whole box I recently noticed this one on Amazon UK...

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - Blu-ray disc only

I was a little suspicious at first, but ordered it and all is good. It's just the disc in a paper sleeve and I've no idea where it's from.

Also, there are no pops or cracks at 40 minutes onwards as mentioned elsewhere. Hope this helps someone out ;-)

The Quad mixes are superior in many ways I would agree but the sound quality of the 5.1 mixes is mind blowingly brilliant. Amazing bass.

Just listened to this for the first time and came to the same conclusion regarding both BDAs. I did like the bass guitar presentation better in the 5.1 though for this disc.

I never had seen the WTTM animated clip before and while it's a piece of history, that is just a piece of music begging for a more deserving video clip.

I gave this a solid "10".

Didn't realize you could play this on the ELS system
I borrowed DSOTM; ( Audio DVD from my brother); did NOT play in my 2012 SH-AWD/TL/Tech, with ELS

For anyone who doesn't want to fork out for the whole box I recently noticed this one on Amazon UK...Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - Blu-ray disc onlyI was a little suspicious at first, but ordered it and all is good. It's just the disc in a paper sleeve and I've no idea where it's from. Also, there are no pops or cracks at 40 minutes onwards as mentioned elsewhere. Hope this helps someone out ;-)

First, I want to thank Simon M for letting us know about the stand alone Blu-Ray disc. They seem to be out of them now, though.:( I bought it for the 5.1 mix as I already have the SQ LP and a conversion. This ranks "high" in my idea of a "stoner" album. This is the kind of album I listen to alter my mood. I like listening to "stoner" albums because they are capable of making me forget where I am and make me concentrate on being "in the middle" of the music. I found myself having to come down off my cloud for about 10 minutes after it finished. While listening to the first track, I was going to rate it for a 9, losing a point only for not being DSOTM. However, half way through the second track, I was coerced into upgrading it to a 10. While I wouldn't particularly call myself a "fan" of PF, nor would I pay an individual track like a single, I do see myself playing this album more often than the LP due to the increased fidelity and better placement of the sounds. There were also shock moments to remind me to pay attention and not fall asleep from being musically stoned. It is albums like this that proved that I didn't need chemicals or herbals to alter my state of mind, but whether it is a cheaper habit to buy music is to be debated.
Also, there were no clicks or extraneous noises on my disc.

Last edited:
On the quad mix of the song "Wish You Were Here" I can barely hear the acoustic slide guitar solos coming from the RF channel. Is this how it sounds to other people?

Music a 9, Mix a 9. Real good but not quite great. A 9.

So people are not allowed to vote a 9, or anything else than a 10?

it's not that , it's that sometimes we all get into this "This is not good enough" funk..yeah..but how would YOU have mixed it?
It's a matter of personal taste , but also of common sense... The "RECKLESS" Mix is DEFINITELY a 10...at least in my book (and apparently a few member's as well)
You can vote a MINUS 10 if you want to...
Apparently , you didn't get the "TO EACH HER/HIS OWN" part...

it's not that , it's that sometimes we all get into this "This is not good enough" funk..yeah..but how would YOU have mixed it?
It's a matter of personal taste , but also of common sense... The "RECKLESS" Mix is DEFINITELY a 10...at least in my book (and apparently a few member's as well)
You can vote a MINUS 10 if you want to...
Apparently , you didn't get the "TO EACH HER/HIS OWN" part...
well, you are the one who brought up "nothing is good enough", not Midiq. But I get the feeling that I do not understand what you are saying. For example what has Reckless got to do with WYWH? Anyway I am out of this thread.

:brew

Back