HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE

• Total voters
Speak up - I don;t have my ear trumpet plugged in.....who's bold?
Seriously though, the first Pistols album would make a bloody great 5.1 mix, but I wager the multitracks got wiped.
McLaren used to pay for the sessions in advance each day as the studio did not trust him, and in those days 2" tape was £200/reel, so I bet they just rented the tape....
Shame - imagine "Holidays In The Sun" or "EMI Unlimited Edition" in 5.1 - wow!

I'm going to assume the stereo mix doesn't give you a whole lot to work with either. You never know, though. Even some simple panning effects with a vocal can go a long way.

Speak up - I don;t have my ear trumpet plugged in.....who's bold?
Seriously though, the first Pistols album would make a bloody great 5.1 mix, but I wager the multitracks got wiped.

If you're talking about "Spunk", you're likely right. Multitracks exist for the official album, though: Check out the "Classic Albums" documentary.

Received my SACD yesterday. Have to admit, i had never listened to a Pink Floyd album, ever ! ( although i listened to this on youtube, before purchasing ) I have to say it's fantastic !! ( love the qurky sound effects on Welcome To The Machine ) Please forgive my ignorance, but it states there's a high resolution stereo mix, and a standard stereo mix, when i navigate the menu, i don't see an option for both ? I just get the usual cd 1.4 K display and playback. Would this be the high resolution stereo mix ?

I assume your not an old fart like some of us? No, like most of us. glad you like PF anyway!!

I managed to track down the hybrid SACD (import to UK) edition of this to save me spending funny money on the immersion set. Interestingly when I first bought it I had my old Pioneer DV600AV and it sounded pretty mediocre on this leaving me somewhat underwhelmed (muddy and disjointed.) But on a good player it really shines (pun intended.) It's not excessively compressed, everything is where it should be in the mix, it's completely immersive, has sparkling detail and makes near perfect use of the surround field. A sure fire 10.

One of my favorites! Only reason I didn't go 10 is that at times I thought the mix was a little conservative, that said it is still tremendous!

Sound-wise I don't think you'll see much difference (though some would probably disagree!). The biggest difference between the Immersion set and the SACD is that on the Immersion set the Blu-ray also contains the Quad mix, which some folks here think is better than the 5.1 (SACD) mix. I just looked on ebay - looks like you can get the Immersion version new for around $90 with shipping now...

Yes there is a huge difference in the sacd and the BD. I have both of DS and WYWH. a compare playing will show the errors in the sacd. Missing some range.

A bit of background...

-I have the DSOTM on SACD (and adore it), but would love the get the Immersion set one day, but not yet
-I'm now looking to purchase WYWH, and am not sure which format I should buy
-I'm located in Canada, and all the great deals many of you seem to be able to find and not available here (sad face)

Cheapest copy of DSOTM Immersion here on ebay - approx $130 with shipping (plus tax)
Cheapest copy of WYWH Immersion - $105 (pls tax)
Cheapest copy of WYWH SACD - $35

So my pickle is if I should spend the $70 extra dollars on WYWH on blu-ray, or if I'd be ignorantly happy with the SACD, like I am with DSOTM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINK-FLOYD-...?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item46104a0f6c

I bought my WYWH on e bay for $35.00. spent more on DS. But, if you were to look, the demand has gone down. as the price has also.

A bit of background...

-I have the DSOTM on SACD (and adore it), but would love the get the Immersion set one day, but not yet
-I'm now looking to purchase WYWH, and am not sure which format I should buy
-I'm located in Canada, and all the great deals many of you seem to be able to find and not available here (sad face)

Cheapest copy of DSOTM Immersion here on ebay - approx $130 with shipping (plus tax)
Cheapest copy of WYWH Immersion - $105 (pls tax)
Cheapest copy of WYWH SACD - $35

So my pickle is if I should spend the $70 extra dollars on WYWH on blu-ray, or if I'd be ignorantly happy with the SACD, like I am with DSOTM.

I am in the same boat, keep checking different places for the prices of the immersion sets.
The Bluray's are worth getting as they do sound better than the Sacd and as others have said it's really cool that you get the quad version in lossless as well.

I have seen Amazon.ca had them for sale for $75 a couple of times and I almost ordered, so keep checking.

Only thing I would caution about buying individual BLuray's only is I think the European version of WYWH had some technical issues with it, can't remember if North American one had as well so even though they are cheaper to buy the Bluray only, it might be a buyer be ware situation. Can anyone confirm getting one of these and if they are fine?

peter

as far as I can recall (can't find source of info at min sorry) the WYWH Guthrie 5.1 was proven to be from PCM, so the BD in the WYWH Immersion set would - theoretically - be more faithful to the source & resolve (potentially) more than the SA-CD.. the DSOTM BD-A Guthrie 5.1 mix, after waveform analysis etc., was proven to be identical to the SA-CD/DSD, so DSOTM 5.1 would be same whether SA-CD or BD.. whether or not any of this would result in a marked dip in sound quality from BD to SA-CD is up for debate (though I think frequent visitors to QQ know by now that I personally at any rate prefer DVD-A and BD-A to SA-CD, wherever possible, for these surround mixes).

worth emphasising the BD of each has the respective quad mixes too, as others have mentioned, which are both very nice mixes & fidelity, so the Immersion sets are kind of indispensable for the music & mixes (most important bit after all..!) even if some of their extraneous contents are only fit for the garbage tip (I'm looking at you scarves, marbles and coasters!!).

I am in the same boat, keep checking different places for the prices of the immersion sets.
The Bluray's are worth getting as they do sound better than the Sacd and as others have said it's really cool that you get the quad version in lossless as well.

I have seen Amazon.ca had them for sale for $75 a couple of times and I almost ordered, so keep checking.

Only thing I would caution about buying individual BLuray's only is I think the European version of WYWH had some technical issues with it, can't remember if North American one had as well so even though they are cheaper to buy the Bluray only, it might be a buyer be ware situation. Can anyone confirm getting one of these and if they are fine?

peter

the BD's in Euro sets of Aqualung & WYWH both have authoring glitches/errors, yes. there were replacements at one time for the WYWH BD but not Aqualung, afaik.

Just got back from my Israeli army service.. looking to get back into digital surround. I see a new Pink Floyd is out but there's a few different versions and I don't understand the differences. I see an Immersion Edition box set with DVD-Audio and a separate SACD version? Which should I get? I also noticed some new King Crimson out.. very cool, any other rock/pop releases I might be interested in? I've been gone since 2011.

Hi phrostbyte, welcome back. Be aware that the dvd in the Immersion set is not dvd-a. Its a audio dvd with Dolby. The blu ray has hi res for all the different mixes, and personally I prefer the BD over the SACD.

Other good stuff that has been released lately is anything mixed by Steven Wilson. Also highly recommended are Kompendium -Beneath The Waves and Nosound- Aferthoughts. Both out on dvd-audio.

Just got back from my Israeli army service.. looking to get back into digital surround. I see a new Pink Floyd is out but there's a few different versions and I don't understand the differences. I see an Immersion Edition box set with DVD-Audio and a separate SACD version? Which should I get? I also noticed some new King Crimson out.. very cool, any other rock/pop releases I might be interested in? I've been gone since 2011.

Immersion box sets are not, repeat *not* DVD-Audio.
You get BD vertsions & DVD-Video with audio on them - all in Dolby feckin' Digital as well - including an out-of-spec 640kbps stream.

I opted to get the Russian version of this on bluray. I don't have the sacd to compare it to, but it sounds amazing!

I just got this and was so excited to here Wish and Shine. I was disappointed. I gave the disc several listens but just haven't warmed up to it. Maybe my expectations were too high but only gave it a 7. I still like it but not as much as I hoped I would.

I am incredibly amazed we are still discussind how poor this release was a year later. Nice to know I was in the right, but hope the powers that be learn what people who are paying big bucks for reissues expect for their hard earned $$

I just got this and was so excited to here Wish and Shine. I was disappointed. I gave the disc several listens but i just haven't warmed up to it. Maybe my expectations were too high but only gave it a 7. I still like it but not as much as I hoped I would.

Back