Help with 5.1 FLAC converted to WAV.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCuff

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Hey all,
When I attempt to burn a 5.1 FLAC converted to a 5.1 Wav with Chrome II, I get an error. The wav files look OK, and properties say they are wave sound files, but those same files are called unsupported in Chrome II. I have no problems burning stereo 24/96 wav files to DVDA, and even 4.0 wav files to DVDA, but something happens with the 5.1 files. Am I missing a step?

AlSo, I read the "how to create a DVD-audio" thread below. Helpful, but still not sure if I need to buy something else.

Hmmm. I've always converted the .flac files I've ripped from Blu-Ray to wav using Sound Forge and never had a problem.
What are you using to convert the flac files? Maybe there is some inconsistency? Sounds odd.

Could be the 4GB wav file size limitation. Even in widows 64 with NTFS wav files are limited to 4GB in size.

A_L

I think, and I could be wrong, but if memory serves for 5.1 titles created with Chrome II, individual .Wav files must be converted into single MLP files using something like "SurCode MLP." For 5.0 or 4.0 this may not be necessary, again if memory serves. It adds another step for sure, but I always "MLP" my wav files for DVD-Audio regardless of channels.

OQG absolutely right. spec 96/24 6 mono tracks (5.1) has about 12mbps of data, when specification of DVD medium has bandwith 9mbps.
5.1 @ 96/24 must be packed into MLP (PPCM) container before of authoring of the audio stream onto DVDA format disc.

All,
Thanks and I think I now understand. For my situation, Otto and OQG described it perfectly. If I use chrome II I will need a mlp packer like surcode for 5.1 files. From what I have seen, that is a little pricey so guess I am done for now...

All,
Thanks and I think I now understand. For my situation, Otto and OQG described it perfectly. If I use chrome II I will need a mlp packer like surcode for 5.1 files. From what I have seen, that is a little pricey so guess I am done for now...

Mike, if you have a Blu Ray player capable of playing AVCHD files (basically Blu Ray content on a standard DVD R) you can use Cirlinca HD Audio Solo Ultra 4.1 - for around $75 - it will take a 5.1 24/96 multichannel flac file , convert it to uncompressed 5.1 24/96 PCM and then burn to DVD 5 or 9 directly as AVCHD (it will also burn to Blu Ray) - you can even create some simple menus on the fly as well - it's a pretty neat tool. If you're committed to DVD Audio only, it will do that too - it just can't handle MLP, so you would have to settle for a modified 96/24 where L & R channels are 96/24 and center/RL/RR and LFE are all 16/48. You can download a free trial here - http://www.cirlinca.com/download.htm - it's definitely worth checking out.

Using AudioMuxer you can create AVCHD audio BD5 or BD9 discs for free (not counting the cheap DVD R media).

Yep, after I posted last night, it dawned on me that Audiomuxer would be another solution and free! I use it primarily to create DVD DTS discs to play in my car's surround system, but it will do AVCHD and handle 5.1 Flac files along with all the necessary conversions. I will say, that I do prefer Cirlinca (despite the $75 premium) only because I enjoy the ability to create executable menus with artwork. Audiomuxer will allow you to include 1 picture/slide per track along with track name/artist name/etc - but no menu. If you are so inclined Cirlinca will, in addition to the executable menus, let you include a slide show of up to 20 pictures per track. Additionally you can include up to 9 groups (albums) up to a total of 99 tracks - making it a great way to make BD audio compilations (I just made single BD Audio discs of the Doors and Talking Heads box sets). I guess it all depends on your requirements but either will do the job for sure.

Elmer,
This leads me to something slightly off-topic, but hey I started the thread. Your example of putting the perception box set, or maybe a PT compilation, on BDA appeals to me. Can Cirlinca do that with nothing else other than my computer with a BD burner? How about watermark issues, with an Oppo BDP-83?

Elmer,
This leads me to something slightly off-topic, but hey I started the thread. Your example of putting the perception box set, or maybe a PT compilation, on BDA appeals to me. Can Cirlinca do that with nothing else other than my computer with a BD burner? How about watermark issues, with an Oppo BDP-83?

There are perhaps too many variables to answer in short. If you are just ripping directly from DVD Audio (say via DVD Audio extractor) to a wave file and then burning directly to AVCHD as uncompressed PCM, I suppose that would work - I believe that Blu Ray does not read the watermark but more knowledgeable folk here may know better. For my part, I convert the uncompressed waves (as mono waves) to DTS HD MA (that program is definitely not free!) first - gives a bit more space and allows me to fit a up to 30% more onto a BD. Why don't you just check out the free trial at Cirlinca? If I get a chance, I'll do it and let you know via PM.

Elmer,

Mike, the BDP-83 and the 83SE both ignore watermarks.

What you need to do is split the 5.1 FLAC in to 6 individual or mono WAVs using Audiomuxer - it labels the L, R, C, LFE, Ls & Rs, and then load these into Chrome against the yellow channel tab. You just can't do it as a single 5.1 WAV.

You can as OQG suggests in another thread suggests convert them to MLP to load into Chrome, but this is really only necessary to get more tracks on the disc - MLP is the FLAC of the DVDA world.

Hey all,
When I attempt to burn a 5.1 FLAC converted to a 5.1 Wav with Chrome II, I get an error. The wav files look OK, and properties say they are wave sound files, but those same files are called unsupported in Chrome II. I have no problems burning stereo 24/96 wav files to DVDA, and even 4.0 wav files to DVDA, but something happens with the 5.1 filtes. Am I missing a step?
There are other threads here about this. Chrome II wasn't made to burn mono wavs at 96/24 for 5.1 (but it will do it for 4.0). For 5.1 you need to convert each mono .wav to .mlp (or you can also convert the one 5.1 wave file to mlp). Cirlinca programs will burn the 5.1 96/24 flacs directly to dvda (i.e. it converts a flac 5.1 file to wave on the fly). You don't have to break up the flac at all, but the result will be an out of spec dvda; however the oppo players should play the dvda no problem.

My two cents worth:

My understanding is that depending on your version of Cirlinca you may NOT be able to burn a DVD-A at 96/24 LPCM from wav files.

You can definitely play 96/24 WAV files (converted from FLAC) in AVCHD format on an Oppo (I have a 83SE) you can burn a AVCHD disc, or create a AVCHD structure on disc (USB) also! I've done this with both Audiomuxer and MultiAVCHD. You don't need to create mono Wav files this way.

If you don't have a MLP encoder - and really want a DVD-A another option is to convert it down to 48/24 (n), and use Chrome or Cirlinca to create a DVD-A with LPCM.

My two cents worth:

My understanding is that depending on your version of Cirlinca you may NOT be able to burn a DVD-A at 96/24 LPCM from wav files.

You can definitely play 96/24 WAV files (converted from FLAC) in AVCHD format on an Oppo (I have a 83SE) you can burn a AVCHD disc, or create a AVCHD structure on disc (USB) also! I've done this with both Audiomuxer and MultiAVCHD. You don't need to create mono Wav files this way.

If you don't have a MLP encoder - and really want a DVD-A another option is to convert it down to 48/24 (n), and use Chrome or Cirlinca to create a DVD-A with LPCM.

You cannot burn a DVD - A at 96/24 LPCM with Cirlinca HD Audio Solo Ultra (including the latest release, 4.1) - it has no MLP encoding or decoding capabilities. You can as per the attached chart make a "psuedo" 96/24 DVD A file by reducing the bit depth and sampling rate of the rear and LFE channels in various configurations as per the attached chart. HD Audio Solo Ultra 4.1 can however, make either a Blu Ray or AVCHD disc with unpcompressed 96/24 PCM wav for all 6 channels, or if you have the capability, DTS HD MA. As far as I know, any Blu Ray player that has AVCHD playback capability will ignore the watermark of a multichannel wave file that has been extracted from a watermarked MLP DVD Audio disc. Cirlinca will also accept a mulitchannel wave or flac file without the need for mono files for each channel.

I use Cirlinca, Audiomuxer, & MultiAVCHD for various projects - all bring something to the table, one of the key differences of course, is that Audiomuxer and MultiAVCHD are free. The cost for Cirlinca is not prohibitive (under $80), and it's simple menu creation capabilities are a definite plus when you are making multi disc BD Audio compilations. MulitAVCHD will also create menus but that is far more complex in comparison and far less intuitive (IMO) - but it is free.

HD audio solo ultra.jpg

Back