Help with 5.1 FLAC converted to WAV.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are other threads here about this. Chrome II wasn't made to burn mono wavs at 96/24 for 5.1 (but it will do it for 4.0). For 5.1 you need to convert each mono .wav to .mlp (or you can also convert the one 5.1 wave file to mlp).

There are ways to make a DVDAplus disc of 96/24 for 5.1 using Chrome II but the method is purely academic. Think I'll post my test discs again just for fun.

Cirlinca programs will burn the 5.1 96/24 flacs directly to dvda (i.e. it converts a flac 5.1 file to wave on the fly). You don't have to break up the flac at all, but the result will be an out of spec dvda; however the oppo players should play the dvda no problem.

I didn't know this. Will have to give this a try. Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a fun project.

Just FYI,
The open source DVD audio Tools supposedly handles flac. It does not support MLP. But someone looking for free tools might consider it.
(Disclaimer: I have not used DVD audio Tools.)

You cannot burn a DVD - A at 96/24 LPCM with Cirlinca HD Audio Solo Ultra (including the latest release, 4.1) - it has no MLP encoding or decoding capabilities. You can as per the attached chart make a "psuedo" 96/24 DVD A file by reducing the bit depth and sampling rate of the rear and LFE channels in various configurations as per the attached chart.
I've never down converted anything, unless you're saying the program reduces bit/sample rate automatically???? All my burned discs have always played at 96/24--not aware of any reduction. Per something Neil said a while ago, is merely out of spec and might not play on most retail players.

If you are importing either 6 mono files or 1 5.1 multichannel file @96/24 into Cirlinca, it cannot export that file to DVD Audio at the 96/24 for all 6 channels. It will automatically down convert either all 6 channels to 96/16 or you have the option to select a combination of resolutions as per the chart I referenced in the previous post. The typical default setting for HD Audio Solo Ultra is 96/24 for FL, FR & C and 48/16 for RL, RR & LFE.

DVD Audio is NOT capable of 6 channels at 96/24 without MLP encoding - and Cirlinca does not have MLP capabilities. Here's another point of reference;

"Different bit depth/sampling rate/channel combinations can be used on a single disc. For instance, a DVD-Audio disc may contain a 96 kHz/24-bit 5.1-channel audio track as well as a 192 kHz/24-bit stereo audio track. Also, the channels of a track can be split into two groups stored at different resolutions. For example, the front speakers could be 96/24, while the surrounds are 48/20.

Audio is stored on the disc in Linear PCM format, which is either uncompressed or losslessly compressed with Meridian Lossless Packing.[1] The maximum permissible total bit rate is 9.6 Megabits per second. Channel/resolution combinations that would exceed this need to be compressed. In uncompressed modes, it is possible to get up to 96/16 or 48/24 in 5.1, and 192/24 in stereo. To store 5.1 tracks in 88.2/20, 88.2/24, 96/20 or 96/24 MLP encoding is mandatory."

http://www.meridian-audio.com/w_paper/mlp_jap_new.PDF

Meridian's own paper supports what you are saying, Elmer. I'm kind of PO'd that cirlinca didn't make this more obvious in their original dvda burning program. It simply performed the function--even in HD audio solo ultra, I don't recall seeing any choice. It makes sense though, thanks. Reality, though, is that I would have never noticed the difference from listening!

http://www.meridian-audio.com/w_paper/mlp_jap_new.PDF

Meridian's own paper supports what you are saying, Elmer. I'm kind of PO'd that cirlinca didn't make this more obvious in their original dvda burning program. It simply performed the function--even in HD audio solo ultra, I don't recall seeing any choice. It makes sense though, thanks. Reality, though, is that I would have never noticed the difference from listening!

Well...not that Cirlinca needs defending but as long as I have had the product (I started with release 2.0), it was made clear in both the Help/Guide section and the import pane that 96/24 was being modified to accommodate the lack of MLP compression. Nevertheless, if you like what you hear then that is all that matters.

I thought mandatory meant to stay within the specs, not that it's impossible.

I suppose that there workarounds and software that will permit you to create a non-compliant DVD A - but I am unaware of them. However, Cirlinca cannot create a non-compliant DVD A disc and cannot process MLP.

Its impossible for DVDA because that is how DVDA is defined as a word or an acronym. A DVDA has a maximum bit rate of 9.6 Mbps. When we discuss putting music files on DVD at a bit rate of 13.284 Mbps, we must use a different word or acronym. I use DVDAplus. SuperDVDA would also work. Its just a word definition issue. Has nothing to do with the physical limitations of the medium, software, or hardware.

Many folks think that because someone wrote a specification at one time, that the concept within the specification is now a physical constant.

Wanners, are you now thinking that the 5.1 2496 FLAC to non-compiant DVDA process was actually being downsampled by the software?

...When we discuss putting music files on DVD at a bit rate of 13.284 Mbps, we must use a different word or acronym. I use DVDAplus. SuperDVDA would also work. Its just a word definition issue. Has nothing to do with the physical limitations of the medium, software, or hardware.

Many folks think that because someone wrote a specification at one time, that the concept within the specification is now a physical constant.

Are you making DVD Audio discs with a 13.284 Mbps bit rate w/o using MLP and if so, what software are you using?

Are you making DVD Audio discs with a 13.284 Mbps bit rate w/o using MLP and if so, what software are you using?

Yes. Using an old version of DiscWelder Chrome that a friend gave me. Been doing it for years. Didn't know I wasn't supposed to be able to do it until I read the limitations of the DVDA here. That's why I now call them something different (DVDAplus, SuperDVDA, etc.). There's no practical reason for doing them at 13.284 Mbps except to save some time when mastering a new disc. Just a parlor trick for the most part.

Don't you need a player and AVR that will handle 13.284 Mbps if staying digital on the link between them? I guess if you had a Blu-Ray combo player with HDMI, there is no reason it couldn't handle it; but older players might have a problem.

If Wanners was using Cirlinca he was making a compliant DVD-A and yes the software was downsampling the multichannel Flac file to make it compliant.
You're probably right, but I'll try and rip one to verify what the bit and sample rates are for the rears and LFE. Is it possible that the original cirlinca dvda program allowed non compliant discs similar to george's discwelder program that has a weird glitch? The reason I bring it up is because when I burned 96/24 5.1 waves or flacs that were ripped from single layer DVD-As that had mlp, I had to put them on dual layer dvds--thus indicating that the original sample rate and bit rate might still have been in tact. If it were downsampling, then logically, shouldn't it use the same amount of space on the disc that contained the original mlp files?

Anything is possible I suppose. I imagine that Cirlinca's processing requirements can use up space on a disc that is not necessarily related to the size of the imported file - but I'm just guessing there - someone from Cirlinca would have to answer these questions. I am only speaking from my experience with HD Audio Solo Ultra over the last few years. Sometimes the mystery of the machine is better left alone - if its working for you then that is all that matters. Carry on!

Keep in mind that DVD-A is a specification. Since "DVDAplus" is not DVD-A, DVD-A players may not be able to play DVDAplus.

Don't you need a player and AVR that will handle 13.284 Mbps if staying digital on the link between them? I guess if you had a Blu-Ray combo player with HDMI, there is no reason it couldn't handle it; but older players might have a problem.

Over the years I've asked people to report back any players that had a problem with the 13.284 Mbps bit rate. Never heard of a DVDA player that couldn't handle it. Think I remember hearing of a BDP that didn't play it, but that was awhile ago and I might be mistaken.

Over the years I've asked people to report back any players that had a problem with the 13.284 Mbps bit rate. Never heard of a DVDA player that couldn't handle it. Think I remember hearing of a BDP that didn't play it, but that was awhile ago and I might be mistaken.
Definitely worth trying it. If memory serves DW 2.0.6 was the forgiving version, although authoring DL discs was a PITA with it.

Not that anyones asked, but to wrap up, I think the correct conclusion of this particular discussion is that it is possible to burn 5.1 channels of 96/24 unpacked music files onto a DVD, but the result is a non-compliant DVDA (or DVDA-Plus, etc.) that may or may not play correctly on a retail DVD/BD player. And that cirlinca programs downsample rather than create a noncompliant DVDA (has yet to be thorougly verified).

Back