HiRez Poll Who, The - QUADROPHENIA (excerpts) [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Who - QUADROPHENIA (selections)

• Total voters
Gave it a 9; would be 10 if the whole album was presented. And by the way, y'all are crazy for criticizing any of the Who albums mentioned here - Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia are all part of the upper pantheon of R&R. It doesn't get any better and I'd sure love to hear Who's Next mixed by Pete or Steve Wilson. I know the tapes aren't there. I have the Japanese SACD and while it's very nice it's not a new revelation.

Who's Next is their best album. The Japan SHM-SACD sound like crap. The UK LP or German CD sound the best.

It's great to hear you say the German Polydor CD is good because it's my go-to copy of Who's Next!

I've never heard the Steve Hoffman mastered MCA CD which so many rave about.. have you?

Still, I can't believe it's accurate to the original LP
as SH completely re-EQ'd it from the multitracks, whereas the Polydor CD is taken from the same stereo masters Pete Townshend had made by The Mastering Lab back in 1970 (not LP cutting masters but they are still frequency limited apparently).. still they sound beautiful, rich and full.

Love, love, love The Who and Who's Next is definitely their most consistently brilliant album, for me!

I'm not sure if I've heard the Hoffman remaster, see the article below. The original MCA CD sounded like crap, and the album didn't sound better on the 2CD "deluxe edition." I will check the timing on the deluxe to verify whether it's the Hoffman. The Gold CD sounded like crap. too.

My contention on any album is if they're not going back to the masters, they won't sound that good. Even then, it can still be botched by a bonehead engineer.

From Hoffman's Official Discography: There have been several cd masterings of Who's Next on MCA, all with the same catalog number. The original 1984 mastering by SH was uncredited.

Steve mastered a version of Who's Next for MCA in the mid-'80s. The catalog number was MCAD-37217.

Chances are if you have a "Manufactured In Japan" pressing it is Steve's. However, MCA switched masters along the way, and at least some, if not all (it is unclear) "Manufactured In The USA" issues are NOT mastered by Steve. Luckily, MCA in Canada has started using Steve's master for their CD. The catalog number is MCABD-37217 and it can be found at www.HMV.com.

At least some BMG music club copies also use Steve's master.

If you are unsure what version you have, look at the total time. If it is around 43:25 (plus or minus a second or two) you should have Steve's version. If it is around 43:13, it is NOT Steve's. Also, keep in mind Steve's master is NOT used on any of the following versions: Germany Polydor, MCA gold, MCA/Polydor remix/remaster with bonus tracks, MFSL gold with bonus tracks.

It's great to hear you say the German Polydor CD is good because it's my go-to copy of Who's Next!

I've never heard the Steve Hoffman mastered MCA CD which so many rave about.. have you?

Still, I can't believe it's accurate to the original LP
as SH completely re-EQ'd it from the multitracks, whereas the Polydor CD is taken from the same stereo masters Pete Townshend had made by The Mastering Lab back in 1970 (not LP cutting masters but they are still frequency limited apparently).. still they sound beautiful, rich and full.

Love, love, love The Who and Who's Next is definitely their most consistently brilliant album, for me!

I'm not sure if I've heard the Hoffman remaster, see the article below. The original MCA CD sounded like crap, and the album didn't sound better on the 2CD "deluxe edition." I will check the timing on the deluxe to verify whether it's the Hoffman. The Gold CD sounded like crap. too.

My contention on any album is if they're not going back to the masters, they won't sound that good. Even then, it can still be botched by a bonehead engineer.

From Hoffman's Official Discography: There have been several cd masterings of Who's Next on MCA, all with the same catalog number. The original 1984 mastering by SH was uncredited.

Steve mastered a version of Who's Next for MCA in the mid-'80s. The catalog number was MCAD-37217.

Chances are if you have a "Manufactured In Japan" pressing it is Steve's. However, MCA switched masters along the way, and at least some, if not all (it is unclear) "Manufactured In The USA" issues are NOT mastered by Steve. Luckily, MCA in Canada has started using Steve's master for their CD. The catalog number is MCABD-37217 and it can be found at www.HMV.com.

At least some BMG music club copies also use Steve's master.

If you are unsure what version you have, look at the total time. If it is around 43:25 (plus or minus a second or two) you should have Steve's version. If it is around 43:13, it is NOT Steve's. Also, keep in mind Steve's master is NOT used on any of the following versions: Germany Polydor, MCA gold, MCA/Polydor remix/remaster with bonus tracks, MFSL gold with bonus tracks.

The Deluxe Ed was touted as the first to use the original master tapes but of course that wasn't true as Steve Hoffman had already used them (SH recalls that tape in a filing cabinet marked "Do Not Use" turned out to be the real master!).

I don't hate the Deluxe but that's mostly for the extras and the packaging which are pretty cool, it just seems the Deluxe suffers from the usual smiley-face EQ nonsense of so many latter-day remasters. It'd probably sound wonderful if it'd just been a flat or near-flat transfer of the OMT, as Steve's version reportedly is.

Even if the German Polydor CD sounds nothing like the multitrack masters it is still a hugely enjoyable listen and the one I turn to when I need a Who's Next fix!

The SH forum seems to indicate that the in-print Canadian MCA CD (with the catalogue number you give Quad Linda) which is available very cheaply new on amazon ca is from an analogue dub of SH's mastering, so I may just have to grab a copy and see (Or rather hear..!!) how it stacks up!?

Being a completist, I bought the Deluxe for the extras, and didn't expect much on fidelity of the actual album. Extras were also one of my primary motivations in buying the Quadrophenia box.

Sure, I'll buy it one more time to get the Canadian SH. Still, I expect the German will remain the top.

Beware of remastered or new & improved. Sometimes it's better, often it's not.

I don't hate the Deluxe but that's mostly for the extras and the packaging which are pretty cool, it just seems the Deluxe suffers from the usual smiley-face EQ nonsense of so many latter-day remasters. It'd probably sound wonderful if it'd just been a flat or near-flat transfer of the OMT, as Steve's version reportedly is.

Even if the German Polydor CD sounds nothing like the multitrack masters it is still a hugely enjoyable listen and the one I turn to when I need a Who's Next fix!

The SH forum seems to indicate that the in-print Canadian MCA CD (with the catalogue number you give Quad Linda) which is available very cheaply new on amazon ca is from an analogue dub of SH's mastering, so I may just have to grab a copy and see (Or rather hear..!!) how it stacks up!?

Great music, some of the best in their catalog in a proper format. Only one song mix seemed less than stellar and it's incomplete as noted.

Beware of remastered or new & improved. Sometimes it's better, often it's not.

Very true!

Pouring over zillions of threads on the Hoffman forums it appears precious few remasters are better than the originals or the DCC/MoFi's cds.

exceptions I've found include the ELO Hits compilation "Light Years" and one particular "Out of the Blue" ELO remaster (which one exactly escapes me right now.. d'oh!) that improve upon the first cd issues..

also things like Roger Hodgson's In The Eye of the Storm and the Hughes/Thrall album where the remasters are preferred too but not too many others off the top of my head.. eek! :eek:

Many remasters are no better than the original CD. Some are worse.

I wasn't aware of a remaster of Rogie's album. Must be a UK issue. That album sold extremely well in the US, based on a hit single. The followup, Hai Hai was one of the biggest stiffs off all time here. Too bad cause it's a fine album. Rogie's been pretty much ignored here ever since.
Very true!

Pouring over zillions of threads on the Hoffman forums it appears precious few remasters are better than the originals or the DCC/MoFi's cds.

exceptions I've found include the ELO Hits compilation "Light Years" and one particular "Out of the Blue" ELO remaster (which one exactly escapes me right now.. d'oh!) that improve upon the first cd issues..

also things like Roger Hodgson's In The Eye of the Storm and the Hughes/Thrall album where the remasters are preferred too but not too many others off the top of my head.. eek! :eek:

just reminded of this wonderful 2012 documentary film (repeat on BBC Four just now)...

http://www.thewho.com/story/quadrop...al-me-documentary-digital-release-u-s-only-2/

..and thought I'd post here about the download on iTunes, available for purchase only in the U.S.

a must see for Who-loving Quaddies! Or Quad-loving Who fans!

there's some very cool references to Quadraphonic sound by Pete & others in the documentary. Unmissable! (y)

If I may "freshen up" this thread:

I bought the LP record, the first 2CD set and then the 2nd 2CD "remastered" set in 1996. When the price came out here in the USA in 2011 for 160 dollars I almost had a heart attack. Though the price has come down it seems. It can be had here for 119.99 US

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-56373-...tors-cut-limited-edition-4cd-43-dvd-43-7.aspx

Quadrophenia is in my top 3 recordings of all time, so mere words can't describe how I consider this to be a start to finish complete masterpiece. I voted since I have heard the 5.1mix at a friend's house many times and I bought the 1996 2nd remastering of the CD set which is the exact stereo mastering used here, so I know the package.

The 5.1 mix is discrete and an improvement over the 2.0 version to my ears. It rates exactly in the middle between a SW 5.1 mix(top) and a crappy 5.1 mix like Frampton Comes Alive(bottom). It could have been much better, it could have been much worse. I was hoping for more of an improvement coming from the multi-tracks but I believe Pete did quite a bit of recording/overdubbing himself and there is probably lots of overdubbing that couldn't be reversed, it sure sounds that way...

Aside from the napkins & liner notes and vynyl records this set is a true rip-off(IMHO). The 2.0 CD set is the same as was already released(I own it) and the 5.1 was done on only one third of the record. :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

Pete Townshend gave the lamest excuse of all time and said that if there were enough interest he may "torrent the rest or something...." to those who already paid. :mad:@:

For almost 200.00; re-selling the same 2.0 remaster and adding just 8 songs in 5.1 is pretty much the biggest fraud I have personally seen. In voting I was thinking overall value(which I always do).

I voted this debacle a 2 and I think I was being generous.

I hope I die before I get old.......indeed. I dare say we will see no more WHO 5.1 until "Greedy Pete" passes on and someother entity is in control of The WHO catalog.

I still can't wait for Quadrophenia(complete) in 5.1. As well as Who's Next, Who By Numbers & Who Are You.:smokin :phones :cool:

P.S. I have been begging the rich & handsome FredBlue to "gift" me this for my Birthday, but alas no such package has filled my mail box. :howl

P.S. II. Am I to understand correctly that the Quadrophenia [Original recording remastered in 1996] was confirmed NOT to be taken from the original 2.0 tapes?

I didn't like this much at first listen, but it grew on me. I vote 8. The mix is pretty good.

Back