2011 Impulse! QS Encoded CD reissues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
A number of quad only Impulse! Records titles have been reissued on CD this year. The original albums were all QS encoded. I don't know if the CDs are QS as well, but they might be.

Universal Consciousness / Lord Of Lords (Impulse 2-on-1) by Alice Coltrane
Huntington Ashram Monastery / World Galaxy (Impulse 2-on-1) by Alice Coltrane
Village Of The Pharoahs / Wisdom Through Music (Impulse 2-on-1) by Pharoah Sanders

There may be others.

J. D.

Interesting, must hunt them down for the blog, thanks for the heads up - oh and yes, the QS encoding will still be intact, although it will need a little work on it to get it at it's best

OD

Got it super quick but not yet played it. It is indeed a 2-in-1 release and liner notes state that the sound is "as is" including tape distortions etc and no tampering has been done to the release. That bodes well for QS to be intact....

For OD - I can FLAC it to you for inspection....?

Howie

It would be awesome if you could get those Alice Coltrane albums converted to Quad! Pity that 'Ptah the El Daoud' isn't amongst the titles, but maybe later. Not sure if that was ever released as a quad title though.

I have a rip of one of her albums here, must dig it out...

Just had a check through the collection. I have "Lord of Lords" (very orchestral) .

'Ptah the El Daoud' doesn't appear on the list as having been QS encoded, unless someone knows otherwise of course.

Also checked for "Ashram Monastery" on the list, and it's not there either. I'm hoping someone can comfirm that they were encoded, although i'm more than happy to test them

OD

Sorry to bump an old thread, but was it confirmed that these are surround encoded?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but was it confirmed that these are surround encoded?

They s/b .

As there were no separate stereo only copies , only QS encoded discs , they s/b.

I was on Amazon the other day and I noticed a couple with Keith Jarrett , Fort Yawuh and Backhand . Upon reading the reviews-- I noticed that someone said Backhand was a very rare release on cd and was early on OOP.

lots of info on the legacy quad cd matrices here (only one thread up ).

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?1776-Matrix-Quad-CD-s

Don't know about the 2011 issues but I have a couple of 1992 era reissues of the Gato Barbieri LPs (Volumes 1-4 series) and those are exactly as the QS albums. They can easily be found for cheap and great music on them, some noted side men in the group.

Back