HiRez Poll Rush - FLY BY NIGHT [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BD of Rush - FLY BY NIGHT

• Total voters
The Richard guy is capable of doing a good MCH mix, my guess is that RUSH does not agree with that POV...so it's what it is...extended stereo....

He got better because I pushed him to :}!

He got better because I pushed him to :}!

Do you narcissist much?

ANYWAY, the fact is the older the RUSH albums are the harder it is to mix them in 5.1 surround.
Why? Less elements in the mix. On most of this album it's just double tracked guitar (with occasional solos), bass, drums, and vocals.
How can you broaden that out to 5.1 without having the mix come unglued? It's tougher than it sounds. Trust me I know from mixing experience.
There is a better way that I think he could have mixed these albums, keeping the bass & drums largely anchored towards the front, while spreading the guitars to all 4 Quad speakers (L, R, LS, RS) with the use of decorrelated effects.
But that's not the way it was done, and IMO it's better to have these albums mixed in surround the way they are than not have them at all...

Any comments regarding the blu-ray audio release of this title?

Should be the exact same quality/content as the DVD-A.
(It certainly sounds exactly the same to my ears).

So the HFPA purchase should only be a top priority if you don't have the DVD-A, or if you really love RUSH.

Good surround use with lots of guitars in back; when compared to the other Rush 5.1 mixes, this and AFTK are the best in the surround mix category IMO. As with all the Rush discs, there seems to be some compression (at least that's what I think I'm hearing). Music content is great, but not one of Rush's best. I give it an 8. I hope we get more Rush multichannel discs, even if the same guy does the mixing (although a Steven Wilson mix of Permanent Waves or Hemispheres would be heaven!

Even though Rush are my beloved, I had to give this a 7. 3 for sound, though it isn't perfect, it's as clear as these tapes are gonna get, I bet. 2 for content. Rivendell was just a mistake. Give us Garden Road or somethin. At least they did persist with the mellow track thing, which paid off for Tears and Different Strings. 2 for mix. It's tame, but pretty clear and well-separated to these ears.
I surely hope Rush will try some album, ANY album, with ANY other mixing eng. it's a good sign that they had Bottrill do VTR and are having him do R40.

Loud and Compressed.
Just got a sealed Rush Sector 1 today and listening now. I think you're on to the problem. The mix of course can be questioned but to me at least not a fatal flaw. The larger issue is that it is a fatiguing listen though I like the content, gives me hot ears:flame. The 2112 blu has the same effect unfortunately.

Gotta admit - the guitar vs. bass growly/screechy "battle" in the middle of By-Tor is pretty well done. The growly bass bounces back and forth between R/RR and the screechy guitar between L/RL.
With the normal band instruments holding down their typical spots. That battle was super-trippy when I was a kid! One of the more unique things about this record.

I voted 8. Music is a 10, mix fair on most, but the title track mix was quite good.

I think this mix is pretty good - I got the HFPA Blu-ray version along with Signals and A Farewell to Kings from the wonderful Princeton Record Exchange a few years back - By Tor sounds amazing , Im giving it a 9 as I love the album too

I think this mix is pretty good - I got the HFPA Blu-ray version along with Signals and A Farewell to Kings from the wonderful Princeton Record Exchange a few years back - By Tor sounds amazing , Im giving it a 9 as I love the album too
This is the best Chycki has done with Rush. Hands-down.

I think this is great. I enjoy it much more than the M/C versions of 2112 & Moving pictures.
I had never heard this on a decent system. How could I have missed it?
The type of music is very much to my liking. Real basic Guitar Rock with excellent percussion. The mixing style suits the music. Not too fancy.
The Blu-ray DTS is very crankable on my system. The Dolby is much louder and I don't care for it.
The vocals seemed a little blurry so I set the Center channel to none. This sounded better to me. I didn't seem to lose anything with this setting.
Some of the guitar was discrete and some wasn't.. ..it was done so well I didn't care.
Drums & bass hammered out of the fronts.
There is a quiet part after the battle on By-Tor. It builds into one of the greatest guitar solos I have heard. The solo provoked an emotional response in me and brought tears of joy to my eyes.
You owe it to yourself to give this another listen.
It deserves a better ranking in the polls.

Back