The Year of the Box

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favourite 2011 Boxset:

• Total voters
For me "true" surround sound is the use of discrete musical elements in more than just the front speakers. The elements can be one or more instruments/vocals combined, but you can't have to many instuments repeated in all the speakers. So, by those terms, ambience only in the rears and 5ch stereo could not pass for real surround sound in my book. Your amazon link didn't work, can you resend or tell me what it was.

For me "true" surround sound is the use of discrete musical elements in more than just the front speakers. The elements can be one or more instruments/vocals combined, but you can't have to many instuments repeated in all the speakers. So, by those terms, ambience only in the rears and 5ch stereo could not pass for real surround sound in my book.
I understand that. My issue is that the term "real" is personal and I would prefer to use the term "immersive mix" to describe this more objectively. Clumsy, I know, but communicative.
Your amazon link didn't work, can you resend or tell me what it was.
I fixed the link, I think, but here's a different one to the same release: http://www.starkland.com/st2010/index.htm

It's a tough vote. The Layla mix is far superior to the SACD, but the PF boxes give us the quad mixes in hirez as well as the 5.1. I don't have the Tull or Who boxes, but I probably should get them. I really don't know any Rush songs, might be something worth looking into for the new year. Since the Dark Side quad was available on the underground DVD-A, the WYWH should get my vote. However, I missed and checked DSOTM. Oh well, they're all good! :)

Well, I was just responding to wanners and he to me. If the mods wish to extract our exchange to a new thread, that's fine. It may or may not live on its own.

Kal
That's fine by me. I was originally only spreading the word about the discrete classical mixes from companies I like. I never intended to get into that sort of discussion because I don't think ambient surround should even be mixed because matrix processors or upmixes do a fine job of it, esp the new dolby PLX or whatever it's called. No offense to Kal, I do respect his opinions.

I am only in possession of one of these magnificent beasts, "Aqualung" (and thank you again, Tim!), so I have voted it my favorite. That is all. Thank you ;)

I voted for DSOTM, although Aqualung and WYWH are strong contenders. The Layla Scheiner mix is wonderful, but DTS ain't advanced res. Quadrophenia would have been my vote, because it is a better album than DSOTM, IMHO. A partial surround album is a rip off, though. Some truly great stuff, but I feel raped by the pricing.

Regarding the forthcoming Beatles SHM-SACD collection:
1- Will it be a US, European or Japanese release?
2- Will it be hybrid?
3- Will it be surround? That will be a curious thing on the 3-track masters, unless they present it as 3ch or 5.1 w ambience in the rears.
4- Will it be an arm and a leg like the Japan SHM-SACD's?
5- Is there a projected release date?

Kal, how does the Mahler set compare with the Tilson Thomas/San Francisco SACD 5.1's in performance and fidelity?

Linda
Inquiring minds want to know
The Beatles (now on Universal) SHM-SACD boxset may be a bit pricey.

Hasn't been announced yet though.

I voted for the Tull box. I should be receiving it sometime in the next 3 days. Lacking Chinese marbles and polyester scarfs made it score a bit higher.

Kal, how does the Mahler set compare with the Tilson Thomas/San Francisco SACD 5.1's in performance and fidelity?
I have not played any of the MTTs in a while so I have not done a side-by-side comparison and I am still biased by the video component of the Abbados.

I would likely not be able to make a choice based on overall performance since both are outstanding. I prefer MTTs #3 and Abaddo's #6.

Kal

Thanks, Kal. You're a wonder.

Linda

I have not played any of the MTTs in a while so I have not done a side-by-side comparison and I am still biased by the video component of the Abbados.

I would likely not be able to make a choice based on overall performance since both are outstanding. I prefer MTTs #3 and Abaddo's #6.

Kal

Quadrophenia would have been my vote, because it is a better album than DSOTM, IMHO. A partial surround album is a rip off, though. Some truly great stuff, but I feel raped by the pricing.

I've been sitting on this vote for a while, and while I agree with Linda, I still had to vote for Quadrophenia, it's that good. I bought all of the above box sets except for Layla, I already had the sacd and I'm not enough of a fan to buy it again. All in all I'm extremely pleased with all of my purchases, they are great albums and well worth it. I just hope Pete pays us back as he's hinted with a full release of Quadrophenia with some sort of free download for those of us who participated in his little test marketing experiment.

I bought all of the above box sets except for Layla, I already had the sacd and I'm not enough of a fan to buy it again.

The Single SACD of Layla, unfortunately, sucks. It scared me off buying the box.
As much as I love Quadrophenia... I won't put up the bucks for half an album in surround along with CDs I'll never play. Full album DVD-A or BD, yes.
Wish You Were Here... long awaited and glad to have it in surround but the mix is tentative to me.
So for me it's a toss up between Dark Side and Aqualung
Aqualung is nice but has it's glitches but the Quad Parsons Mix DSOTM is worth it.
I just wish they'd have offered the BD discs by themselves as a stand-alone.

As for the Beatles on SACD... gotta be stereo or mono. Doubt if you'll ever get surround mixes of those.
Most wouldn't pay. And if it's UMG, it'll be stereo and if it's SHM-SACD it'll be stereo... so...
But, I'll wind up buying those.

I already ordered 5 of the 6 Queen SHM-SACDs. No need for yet another version of ANATO.
Finally gonna get Exile On Main Street as an SACD as well.

My guess is that Aqualung is in the lead because the Floyd folks are splitting the vote between DSOTM and WYWH. Although I'm a bigger Tull and Who fan, I HAD to vote for DSOTM.

Linda
Which One's Pink?

.......Which One's Pink?
Hey Linda - Jethro's Pink --- at least in this poll...... :eek:

P.S. I'm waiting to get my hands on Aqualung before I vote... its in transit.....

I suspect I'll vote for Wish You Were Here or Aqualung.... they get extra bonus points for having quad and 5.1 on Blu-ray ...

DSOTM - Great - but we all already had the mixes for this.....
Laya isn't Hi-rez so can't vote for that....
The Who is only partially there - so no.....
All Sectors have been Signalled that the mixes were a Fly by Night rush job - so Farewell to Kings....

Or maybe Steven Wilson??? Superb Mix.....Possibly.....

As for the Beatles on SACD... gotta be stereo or mono. Doubt if you'll ever get surround mixes of those.
Most wouldn't pay.

I have to disagree there. I have heard Abbey Road in a raw, unfinished straight-from-the-multis Quad mix. Even in that form, it's a gem. I'd gladly pay for Beatles 5.1 SACDs, especially of Revolver, Abbey Road or the White Album. I think lots of others would as well.

I'd gladly pay for Beatles 5.1 SACDs, especially of Revolver, Abbey Road or the White Album. I think lots of others would as well.

Absolutely... but as I also said, I'll be buying the SACDs no matter Multi, Stereo or Mono! :)
The latter albums may make a good MCH but I doubt they'll spend the time or effort.

Hey, guys, don't derail the thread with the Beatles stuff (coming from someone who NEVER derails threads ;) )

Anyway, I think that what gives you the most for your well earned money is the "Aqualung" box set.
No marbles (to lose...who came up with this stupid idea anyway??) , no scarves or other useless stuff...and also you get an LP with the NEW MIX (although an extra quad mix LP would have been a cool touch...now, the encoding would have been tricky...)
Although I have not seen the inside any of the PF boxes, the Aqualung seems more rugged and you get
-an LP with weird packaging -front pocket with the LP-in a nice plastic lined paper sleeve-another nice touch- and on the inside of the gatefold, on the right side, INSIDE cardboard"sleeves"
-the normal stereo CD of the new mix
-another stereo CD with the alternate/extra songs (with lyrics included in the book-another nice touch, thank you)
-the DVD with the Surround mixes
-and the BluRay with the Surround mixes and extra stuff
-AND a very nice bound book with a lot of info and a LOT pics of VERY UGLY BLOKES, but with GREAT info about its recording-even instructing the masses on the different mics used and photos of the inside of the studios (is that a classic Neve console?)...funnily enough , I saw that SW uses Logic, like me! ;)

So, if I could change my vote ..again, I'd go for "Aqualung"....in spite of the digital glitches...

I have to agree with kap'n krunch. Before I bought it, I thought about the whole verses the sum of the parts - 180 gram LPs are generally $30 these days, and say $20 each for the blu-ray, DVD, and 2-CD set, and $20 for a fantastic coffee table book. If you got a good deal on the box and broke it up and sold the parts, I believe you'd at least break-even. It's a real value. I suppose you could say the same about the Floyd boxes, but I guess the difference is that I'd be much less inclined to split the Aqualung box.

Back