Gentle Giant's "Free Hand" and "In'terview" coming on DVD audio in february..

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting. I wonder if Neil is involved (Opus Productions)?

No worthwhile information there apart from reviews of previous releases. Typically Amazon. Will hold off until more details available, i'm not buying any more DD releases in protest!

Praying for a true DVD-A, but I'm not getting my hopes up... lets hope its at least DTS.

Got Free Hand a couple of years ago on CD......

I'm going to have to check out these albums on Spotify very soon. If I like them, these will be definite purchases.

I pulled the trigger. £26.33 total including £4 postage to US for both of them. Strange as the discs were priced at 14.99 and 11.72. Not sure how the Brits do math but I like it! I have until 27 FEB change my mind. No brainer for true quads even if DTS.

Remember the name but can't recall any of their tunes - was 20 at the time! Just listening - sounds good and should be good in quad from stereo I am listening too. Jazzy, folk, 70's rock feel....

I pulled the trigger. £26.33 total including £4 postage to US for both of them. Strange as the discs were priced at 14.99 and 11.72. Not sure how the Brits do math but I like it! I have until 27 FEB change my mind. No brainer for true quads even if DTS.

They both seem to be £11.72 on the Amazon UK site now - it might be worth re-ordering to get the price guarantee at the lower costs. (y)

I wish they'd do Octopus and The Power and the Glory from the GG catalog.

Given their aggressive use of stereo panning, I've always thought that they'd be a great candidate for surround. Maybe Mr. Wilson has a bit of spare time to do a 5.1 mix for them of Octopus?

Can't wait for Free Hand (in particular).. listening to it now to re-familiarise myself.

On reflection (pun intended) it should be awesome in surround! Hopefully the mix is quite aggressive - lots of vocal parts "all around" going on.....

Last edited:
I wish they'd do Octopus and The Power and the Glory from the GG catalog.
Given their aggressive use of stereo panning, I've always thought that they'd be a great candidate for surround. Maybe Mr. Wilson has a bit of spare time to do a 5.1 mix for them of Octopus?
Can't wait for Free Hand (in particular).. listening to it now to re-familiarise myself.
On reflection (pun intended) it should be awesome in surround! Hopefully the mix is quite aggressive - lots of vocal parts "all around" going on.....

Couldn't agree more. In the proper hands these could become surround jewels.

This is very interesting. I do know Free Hand and I would surely buy that in 4.x. In'Terview I don't know but apparently it should be quite similar to Free Hand. The information about the quad mix DVD is rather scares, it's only the "4.1 QUAD MIX PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED" line copied from one webshop to another.
BTW seems like play.com will get my order as they do free shipping to my country.

This is very interesting. I do know Free Hand and I would surely buy that in 4.x. In'Terview I don't know but apparently it should be quite similar to Free Hand. The information about the quad mix DVD is rather scares, it's only the "4.1 QUAD MIX PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED" line copied from one webshop to another.
BTW seems like play.com will get my order as they do free shipping to my country.

In'Terview in my opinion is not as good as Free Hand, but hey - I'll take any Gentle Giant.

Exciting news. Free Hand is IMHO probably the third best Gentle Giant album. I'd put In'terview near the bottom but oh well… multichannel?? ..will have to have. 'Acquiring the Taste' is one of my favourite albums ever. 'Octopus' comes close.

Gentle Giant perhaps just behind King Crimson is one of the most innovative acts ever. I would love to see the whole catalog remixed and reissued. After the interest in the King Crimson remixes there would probably be a belated demand. There isn't much else out there as competent or as interesting as the output of this band...

I wonder if this 'previously unreleased' mix of Free Hand is the (downmixed?) source of the weird mix present on the One Way label's first release of this CD, way back when.

That first Free Hand CD (One Way) was a cruel joke; more about bad EQ (no high end) than mix as I recall. Just got brand new 2011 re-issues of Playing the Fool (live 1976), In'terview & Free Hand this past week.

I hope this surround/quad news is true and just the beginning! Octaus, Three Friends, The Power and The Glory, Playing The Fool, In A Glass House wanted. I'll buy their whole catalog actually.

I had the distinct privledge of seeing them live 4-5 times in the 1975-76 peak period; as a die hard Crimson fan I would say that Gentle Giant is equally innovative in distinctly different ways. Funny Ways as it were....

Back