Gentle Giant's "Free Hand" and "In'terview" coming on DVD audio in february..

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, the one that comes with it is certainly able to decode the stream. It just seems to convert it to 48khz.
It is not so strange. The DTS formats are backwards compatible. DTS 96/24 is an extension to normal DTS (48kHz, full bitrate). So a DTS 96/24 stream contains also the DTS core which decoders use that can't handle the 96/24 extension. (The same with DTS-ES and even DTS-HD).

What you need seems to be AudioMuxer together with the ArcSoft DTS decoder. Or maybe eac3to (not 100% sure about DTS 96/24 with that).

This may be a dumb question please forgive me I am a bit of a newbie...
Is the DVD playable on a US region 1 player? My concern is since it is UK

release it is a region 2 DVD...none of the players that I use at home are region free...
Have any of you been able to play the DVD on a US/Canada region 1 player?
Latecomer to this thread, read it all and very informative...long time GG fan. Thanks very much!

P.S visited Amazon UK looked at product description/details and did not see info about what region code the DVDs in these two releases are...could the discs be "region free" since they are music not a movie?

Thanks a lot! Guess I'll be placing my 1st order with Amazon UK...my local independent brick and mortar "record" store
sadly went out of business recently. Looking forward to hearing these quad mixes!

This may be a dumb question please forgive me I am a bit of a newbie...
Is the DVD playable on a US region 1 player? My concern is since it is UK

release it is a region 2 DVD...none of the players that I use at home are region free...
Have any of you been able to play the DVD on a US/Canada region 1 player?
Latecomer to this thread, read it all and very informative...long time GG fan. Thanks very much!

P.S visited Amazon UK looked at product description/details and did not see info about what region code the DVDs in these two releases are...could the discs be "region free" since they are music not a movie?

David,

I can further confirm that they are region free (region 0) and they are NTSC too. In fact, it says so right on the back of the package, which is nice.

They work great for me in my Oppo BDP83se, which is not region free, but it will play PAL. I the past, I had trouble with some of the Depeche Mode DTS DVDs. Some of these are region free, while others are not. I had to rip the disk, strip off the region code, and burn them in order to play them.

Brad

I agree with the overall sentiments of these posts – these are exciting, aggressive mixes and the sound is excellent. Great value for money. If only Harvest/EMI would do a straighforward release like this for Floyd’s Atom Heart Mother and the fabled Animals…

Re. the channel swap debate. I agree some of the placements are weird, but there is something that convinces me that the DVD is as intended: the finger clicks at the start of the disc. They alternate from centre front to centre rear, i.e. they are LF+RF then LS+RS. If the channels were swapped, they would be LF+RS and LS+RF. That would make them centre of listening area in both cases (assuming a perfect quad set up), so there would be no point alternating them. So I am sure the release is as intended. I agree with other posters that this was probably an attempt to be as radical as possible – obviously too radical.

It’s a pain for me to swap cables, or do it via software, so I’ve not actually heard the suggested change, but most people seem to think it sounds better swapped, and that in the end is what matters, so maybe I will try to get the software.

PS – I’ve obviously been reading this forum too much – I kept on typing ‘center’ and had to change it to the ridiculous spelling us Brits stick to. :)

I agree with the overall sentiments of these posts – these are exciting, aggressive mixes and the sound is excellent. Great value for money. If only Harvest/EMI would do a straighforward release like this for Floyd’s Atom Heart Mother and the fabled Animals…

Re. the channel swap debate. I agree some of the placements are weird, but there is something that convinces me that the DVD is as intended: the finger clicks at the start of the disc. They alternate from centre front to centre rear, i.e. they are LF+RF then LS+RS. If the channels were swapped, they would be LF+RS and LS+RF. That would make them centre of listening area in both cases (assuming a perfect quad set up), so there would be no point alternating them. So I am sure the release is as intended. I agree with other posters that this was probably an attempt to be as radical as possible – obviously too radical.

It’s a pain for me to swap cables, or do it via software, so I’ve not actually heard the suggested change, but most people seem to think it sounds better swapped, and that in the end is what matters, so maybe I will try to get the software.

PS – I’ve obviously been reading this forum too much – I kept on typing ‘center’ and had to change it to the ridiculous spelling us Brits stick to. :)

hi artwwweb!
have you voted for this Free Hand quad mix yet in QQ's Polls?

link is..

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...OLL-Gentle-Giant-Freehand-(DTS9624-amp-Dolby)

My recommendation is to swap the rear channels - RS + LS not front to back (e.g. LS + LF). If you swap RS + LS, then the clicks pretty much remain the same at the start of the album (i.e. front to back).

Also note the guitar at about 22 sec in the first track kicks in (as released) in the RS channel. If you swap it is in the LS which matches the placement (left channel) in the original stereo mix.

Also listen to the vocals at the start of the 2nd track - with it swapped you get a really nice effect of vocals in the left, then rear channels, then right, then front....

I'm not SW, but the band wants him to remix Octopus, In A Glass House and The Power And The Glory in 5.1 and stereo. :)

I'm not SW, but the band wants him to remix Octopus, In A Glass House and The Power And The Glory in 5.1 and stereo. :)

Wow, I sure hope this can happen, this would be awesome.
I missed out on some of the original prog bands like GG so this would be very cool to hear these albums in best format possible and as everyone here knows already there wouldn't be a better person to take this over than SW.
What a tease putting this out there....

I'm a big fan of the 1st 2 albums, Gentle Giant & Aquiring The Taste, those are the 2 I am most keen to have in 5.1 firstly.

Back