20% Off Sale - Best of Aretha in 4.0 Quad from Rhino

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely pick this up and support this particular title if you have not already. This will sell out at some point just like CTA has already.

Bad sign... it didn't sold out as CTA. Too bad they aren't giving Qaudio a third possibility.

I just ordered it. While not a big discount by any stretch, it was just enough to make me go ahead and buy it.

New surround releases should be like Disney's Blu-ray's where you get both the Blu-ray and a DVD. So you'd get a Blu-ray audio disc with LPCM, DTS-HD Master or Dolby True HD surround and a DVD with DTS 96/24 and Dolby Digital since having DTS only on a DVD is a violation of the DVD-Video specifications.

BTW, does anyone know if Dolby's True HD encoders (or DTS-HD Master encoders) allow the 2 channel downmix coefficients to be set to make it Pro-Logic II compatible with encoded stereo surround channels?

Got my email from Rhino this morning. Going to dig through the catalog and see if there's anything worth it for my father-in-law this year. If you truly want to support Rhino, and give them the cash to develop whatever it is you want, don't just stop at the two 4.0 titles - buy from them in general.

Choosing Aretha Franklin seemed like a really bad idea to me.

We gave them a TON of input on the title decision. I have to believe that this was only supposed to be a "next" release, not a "last release unless it sells out like CTA" release. Something in the board room of Rhino stepped in and stopped these releases. I'd love to know what the thinking was, they really couldn't have cost that much to manufacture (esp plain old DVD), and titles like the other Chicago's, the Eagles, Yes, etc would have sold far more than the Aretha did.

Could just be everyone thought the Chicago title was dvd-audio. It even had the logo on it.

And the 5 best quad recordings of all time aren't out in surround at all:

1. Ten Years After A Space In Time
2. Santana III
3. Edgar Winter They Only Come Out At Night
4. Doobie Bros What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits
5. Nilsson Schmillson

Last edited:
And the 5 best quad recordings off all time aren't out in surround at all:

1. Ten Years After A Space In Time
2. Santana III
3. Edgar Winter They Only Come Out At Night
4. Doobie Bros What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits
5. Nilsson Schmillson

Well, not in "legal" DVD-Audio's or DTS CD's anyway... and what is available is such high quality that I don't feel I'm missing much by a lack of studio-sanctioned releases for most of the above titles - it's the record companies that are missing out - on our money because I know I'd rather buy a title legitimately than have to get it via other methods.

Back