Q8: Realistic Model TR-284B 2 & 4 Channel 8-Track Player.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medkill

TR284B.jpg

I'd rate this as a scarce item, though not that expensive. My first one (this one) I picked up at a junktique store for $10.

Highlights: Plays standard 2-Channel (matrixed to 4-channels) and 4-channel 8-track tapes. Has front and rear headphone jacks and RCA type speaker output jacks in the rear. There is a switch below the volume knob to switch speaker output on or off as desired. Auto-Stop function (selectable). You can also line-in a turntable, via rear RCA jacks and switching the power / function switch to right position, which lights the 'Phono' indicator light.

Experience: This '1st' unit I had bought at a junktique store about nine years ago. Not long after getting it, I found that the left-front channel was dead and a fuse (for the power feed to that channel) was blown. Many years of searching for any information on this unit were futile and this unit came very close to going to landfill many times. There is still some blemishing to the case wher it got attacked by termites while awaiting terminal disposition.
The second unit I bought on eBay. It had TWO dead channels, very scratchy, noisy slide controls and generally had me hacked off about what a piece of crap this model was. So, it likewise sat out in the shed awaiting terminal disposition.
Early this year, I finally found an operator manual on eBay. I got it and found it had the schematic in the inside rear cover. This saved the two units from terminal disposition. Last month I finally got around to fixing these units. Number one needed the fuse replaced, a new drive belt, and a good deal of contact cleaner in its switches. End result is that it plays and sounds really well. Number two unit needed above repairs (it needed two fuses replaced), plus the #1 program lamp and Phono function lamp are dead. The motor causes a loud crackling sound when playing a tape, or if the motor is powered and any load is on the motor. End result is that I'll later work on it again, as the schematic shows a capacitor and diode for filtering the motor power supply, so I'll replace them and hope the motor is okay.
And as I earlier mentioned, I have the operator manual with the schematic diagram.

UPDATE.
First, a debt of gratitude to Daneel Olivaw for posting a link, in another thread, to radio shack catalogs website. I gleaned much information about their 8-track players that they offered through the years.

The information that I got on this one is that it was first offered in 1973 and was dropped after 1974. It was a re-worked version of TR-284, which was only made in 1972. This tape player came with a set of four small speakers.
New cost was $159.99 in 1973 and $169.95 in 1974.

Back