The Quadro-Surround label

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps you could try getting in touch with Rhino Handmade to find a way to get access to the master tapes of classic quad albums. While companies may not be willing to lend out priceless and sometimes irreplacable multitrack tapes, they may be willing to lend out the pre-mixed quadraphonic masters. See if a company and/or the artists would be willing to grant license for that. There is obviously a market for this stuff, it just needs to be identified in the masses. The Eagles are a very popular band that I think their classic albums would sell well and they seem to be quadraphonic or surround friendly.

Q-Eight
licenses for old quadraphonic mastertapes could be a possibility. But the big labels like to see masses of money. By Frank Valdor we could do that, because this was not so expensive. On the other hand, there are meanwhile reworked and restored a lot of the old quadraphonic productions by many fans self with a storage on DTS-CD's.
But I feel quadraphonic not as only antiquarian. I think, quadraphonic surround should be also now present by actual productions. A hobby must have activities actual. If we have further possibilities to get mastertapes or rough tapes in best quality, we would catch them also of course.

Dietrich

Dietrich
I will definitly be springing for one or two of the releases the 'Uptown Swing Gang' release sounds quite interesting. I like the idea of a reggae release in surround as well.
I need to hold off untill after christmas now but count me in for the sampler as well.
Good luck

Hello rusinurbe,
the "Swing Uptown Gang" we will release or publish in January. Also the the sampler will be announced here by the section DVD-Audio. Then you can buy. In spring we like to record a Reggae Band. Those music is only hard to find by the quadraphonmic software. I know only "Herbie Man - Reggae". But it is a real interesting music - also with percussion and voices around.

Dietrich

Hi Dietrich,

Your project sounds very interesting! And this quote from your first post concerning your mixing style makes it even better: "That is a real discrete sound listening around". And not having to use an on-screen menu is a great idea.

As far as the music is concerned, I know of a label that is interested in multichannel music, or at least was interested back in @2004: Eighteenth Street Lounge Music. (I sent you a PM with more details). This label is owned by the duo called Thievery Corporation, who are into lounge/downtempo music with reggae, Indian and other influences. They are not a small label anymore but they definitely are not nearly as large as EMI, Warner, etc so maybe they will work with you?

Here is their Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ESLMusicDC

A couple of TC tracks I like (I own all their albums):

"Focus On Sight"

"Sweet Tides"

Thunderball (funky chill out with a 70s vibe), one of the bands on ESL's roster, is another band that I think would sound good in surround:

"Stereo Tonic"

Hello DaneelOlivaw,

your mail was interesting, but it - and also your PM - shows the difficulties with surround by music actual - and I am afraid a long time further on. One reason: When a company produces surround music, the surround-fans are often too choosy and don't buy the productions. And rhose, who have bought as me, has been often disappointed from often crazy msuic style or bad surround mixes. So DTS, Sliverline etc. has stopped their audio-surround productions. Another reason: I think, too many of the surround-fans have too much dreams of surround DVD-Audios from Madonna, Rollings Stones, Michael Buble etc. pp. but they don't grasp, that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. So they ignore also our quadraphonic productions up to now, although we will help to produce actual quadraphonic music, which is really listen for many with a "normal" music taste. We are working idealstic not looking for a profite, but "only" for a balance. But the professional companies needs profit. When a profite ist not possible, they stop the productions. I think, that Even Rhino's handmade with their both only old quadraphonic re-realizations has not got such a profit. So they also stopped their activity - or knows anybody some more? They may need for my opinion 500 buyers, we only 250. I am afraid, that the surround fans can wait for a "little" endlessness, that the big companies will start actual with new surround productions. It was told before, that Universal music would offer till December 2010 10 new Audio Blu Rays with pop music. But nothing is to seen or to heard. The companies are meanwhile in a fight for survival. Actual the EMI is bankruptcy. And the "rest" produces in such a situation only stereo - more and more also for iPod etc. or download. Nothing with surround.
So it is interesting, that I know, that here and tehre in different countries are also bands, who are playing well listening music. But we are only just in the beginning. If we have a balance, we can produce some more. I know, that worldwide there are hundreds or thousand bands or musicians who are playing a very well music. But those we have also here. And some bands also from the USA or Canada are playing here in Hamburg - like our next productions with the David Celia Band.
If we have with our start for new quadarphonic music by professional working a success, then something for further productions is possible. If another would start with quadrphonic productions, I would wellcome that. Than I would have more time for my further interests and I could save a lot of my money.

Dietrich

Hello - The bright side

I self don't know if the TC stuff produce surround music. May be, DaneelOlivan has more informations. But actual without the Pink Floyd, The Whow or King Crimson is hardly to find surround music in the market, which is re-produced now. By the way - there are some Music Blu Rays, which are named "surround". There are also some of the big stars, but often they have only a very poor surround, which is in the rear channels most only reverberation or crying audiences. Not the surround sound, which a fan of quadraphonic surround needs.

Dietrich

Bright Side: sorry, there is no multichannel TC available. Based on a conversation with someone affiliated with them, I just heard they were interested in it and had discussed it with a multichannel label.

Hopefully that's screaming audiences and not crying.

Okay if the concern is making titles people want, use polls and pre-orders prior to production. I've no reason to expect major artists or labels to cooperate. There are certainly a number of second tier popular bands and beyond to pursue masters from, here's a few I'd buy all of:

Sparks, Triumvirat, Gentle Giant, Audience, Joan Armatrading, Ambrosia, King's X, Daniel Lanois, Ozric Tentacles, Robin Trower, The Chills, Catherine Wheel, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, 10cc, Brand X, Group 87, Bill Connors, Steve Morse, Dixie Dregs, Steve Hackett, Happy The Man, Romeo Void, Procol Harum, Djam Karet, Quartermass, Strawbs, Wondermints, Human Radio, Merchants Of Venus, Levitation, XTC, Sky, Dave Stewart+Barbara Gaskin, Suzanne Vega, Robyn Hitchcock

Hard to tell at a glance who has control of their masters, but I wanted to put some names out there to establish what I'm looking for.

Thanks for this thread and I wish you all the luck in the world!

I mean no disrespect here and wish the folks at the Quadro-Surround label all the luck in the world - but based on a quick peak at the website, the notion that they could attract the likes of ESL or even a second or third tier label is highly unlikely. The artwork presented for the individual titles alone, would send most labels with even the slightest interest running for the hills. I would hope that the artwork is not representative of the actual recordings but as that is all we have to go on for the moment, it would appear that these are amateurish at best. Take a look a the cover art for the "Jass Band" - man o man o man!

Artwork/website aside, I'm willing to risk $20 to try them out and support the effort.
Placing order in the morning, fingers crossed after that.

Artwork/website aside, I'm willing to risk $20 to try them out and support the effort.
Placing order in the morning, fingers crossed after that.

Well I'm sure they'll appreciate your support - hopefully you'll be happy with your purchase. My point however was more towards the folk here that are suggesting that they look for bigger fish to produce than "Black Jass."

Hello Elmer,
The "Black Jazz Cover" is only a workplace study after redording. In that time we have had not the idea to start an own label. Actual it is not in our offer. Before that, we have to do a new quadraphonic remix and may have also a new cover. The Band has some pictures. By the way - look to the professional cover to Cing Crimson with a picture of a grimace. If it was our, you would say: An illustration mad by childs. Or look to Depeche Mode - playing the angel. I think, by music is important the sound. Of course, all can be improve. Also our webside. But we are now in the first phase of beginning. And important is for us, that the quadraphonic sound has really a beginning. Those, who have hope for high polished prospects may be from Warner with a lot offer of many new quadraphonic or surround SA-CDs/DVD-Audios may wait further on. And to remember: Also the best professional advertising of the big companies in beginning the 90's has not helped to make music surroundsound to a real success. Today we have low tide - okey some times one can find a shell.

Dietrich

Hello Chiburb,
actual we can send the "Frank Valdor - Hot Nights in Rio". A music, predistined for a surround mix. Our next 2 productions we offer during late december. You may find this separate in the DVD-Audio threat. The discussion forum is further on our thread here.

Dietrich

Hello Chiburb,

because you have some pluck to buy one of our unknown production,so you should get it for free. You can test it and it would be wellcome, when you could write here a report about your impression of sound quality and quadraphonic re-mix.

Dietrich

Regarding covers I like the quad speakers. Purely simple and well-recognizable.

Dietrich - it's good to know that you'll be working on your graphics presentation. Please don't mistake me - I do hope for the continued and successful development of your label. It's always a difficult venture presenting new material to the public - but you have a good and willing audience here at QQ.

Hello Chiburb,

because you have some pluck to buy one of our unknown production,so you should get it for free. You can test it and it would be wellcome, when you could write here a report about your impression of sound quality and quadraphonic re-mix.

Dietrich

Very generous of you, thanks.
Sent PM with address.

Hi Dietrich:

I am a fan of quad instrumental music from artists such as Henry Mancini, Percy Faith, Al Hurt, Herb Albert, Burt Bacharach, Isao Tomita, Bert Kaempfert, etc, and would like to see some releases in this genre.

Justin

Last edited:
Back