The Quadro-Surround label

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Justin
I like too those orchestras, as you have named. Unfortunately such orchestras are actual nealy no more existent. Our production of the Frank Valdor orchestra ist also in the rough of big orchestras, but especially for latin music. May be there are possibilities to get rough recordings from the new Kaempfert orchestra. But actual Ican't tell details.

Hello Grill, a well hint with google. I will tell this our webmaster.
Thank you

Dietrich

hey Dietrich, would you consider sales by way of downloads over internet, beside the sales of physical discs?
by doing this you obviously could cut on manufacturing and sell more, thus get sufficient funds to make upcoming
releases at the pro. facility with nice collectable packaging.
there also downside of purchases from overseas - as a physical purchase it would cost me after currency exchange,
custom, GST (similar to VAT), postal extra charges, way over 30 bucks. i would love to give my support but not to
the government but directly to the label.
perhaps all well known pop-artists tightly guarded by the big labels, but would be nice to see releases in surround
maybe not world famous but yet good artists who's play prog. and hard rock in the past and present.

damn, i would buy without doubt such modern band like Rammstein, ASP, Megaherz, Lacrimosa, Oomph in surround

Dietrich,

Maybe you could take one track from the "Rio" DVD-A and put it on your website for download. I think people will really like it when they hear how great it sounds.

hello Jon,

thank you vor the hint. We have also the intention to do that: Sound-examples listen by our webside. May be, that this will help to chance the impession by some, that we would produce bad quality bungling. But as beginners we can do all ideas one after the other. I think in January we are ready to present such sound examples. And by future productions straightaway.

Dietrich

Hello Otto,

one can see, that downloads don't help the big industry before some loss. And we self like the physical discs. I trhink, producing music is a total artwork including packing, cover,information prints. Look to the opulent third or fourth re-presentation of Pink Floyd. I think - only for my opinion - downloads and anonymus music on the hard disc or a stick is comparable with foods in the shops by packing in simple not printed paper. OK, especially younger people loves downloads. But the most only for stereo and theire headphones. I think, quadraphonic surround fans are most in a some mature older and would prefere the physical disc. And younger music fans have not forgotten how to put a disc in a player.
By the way, please write me the prices in the USA for a DVD-Audio (in the past), SA-CD (most classic) or music DVD. In Gemany those discs cost usual araound € 20,-- which is of corse a few more in $.
One can haveof course wishes - for the big artist in surround. But that will be a very long waiting. And if there is such a surround production, it sound often or most only in a poor surround mix with music further on in front. I think, many music listeners should go also sometimes in live concerts by bands with not so wellknown names as the tops. But those bands plays likewise well to the other. And also such music in surround makes fun - especially in a real quadraphonic surround soundmix.

Dietrich

Deitric:
I would be interested in rock and progressive rock. It would be necessary for it to be in english for me to go for it. I don't know what you have access to, but I would love to have a clean discrete copy of Omega-200 Years after the last war. My SQ version is worn and scratchy. Of course, there are many others I would like to hear. I often thought that a small record company could do surround to fill this niche and make a living. Maybe it will work out for you. I hope so. It would be great if you could convince the big record companies to let you make surround versions of popular recordings, and sell them. I would expect that they would want royalties, but hopefully not a big up front fee that you would have to sell a million copies to break even. I had heard that's what did in the DTS recording project. They could never break even. That and the fact that the big record companies got jealous and wanted to do their own. It was not profitable on the scale of stereo recordings and I think that's what they were expecting. But a small concern might could pull it off. Good Luck and God speed.

The Quadfather

I would suggest to also include a Pro-Logic II encoded stereo version of the surround music - we can't always listen in surround and the downmixing built into MLP, AC-3 and DTS doesn't work so well - nor does it encode stereo surrounds. Or get a hold of an SQ Position Encoder and include an SQ version since, to me, SQ has the best stereo fold down of ANY system. Next to SQ's stereo performance, all other systems suck.

Hi, I second the recommendation for Omega. They released two sq quad albums. Perhaps some others could be remixed if you made a deal. I don't know who owns the masters now but they originally recorded in Hungary, can't be an emi size company.

Hello Otto,

one can see, that downloads don't help the big industry before some loss. And we self like the physical discs. I trhink, producing music is a total artwork including packing, cover,information prints.
what i suggested is a download of an image file from which you doing physical DVDA to fulfill purchase orders.
for example, i wouldn't be thrilled to pay way over $30 to get homemade DVD-R with art-cover printed on the
plain white paper. i can do this myself at home from downloaded .iso and pictures files, which will cost me less
and arrives to me as fast, as fast is mine internet connection.
the story would be different, if you offer DVDA up to industrial manufacturing standart with professionaly printed
booklet in nice holding case. as one who's do not use computer for music listening and prefer physical medium,
i wouldn't have issue to purchase such prints. and i believe this isn't only mine stance. other probably would
prefer such way too.

By the way, please write me the prices in the USA for a DVD-Audio (in the past), SA-CD (most classic) or music DVD. In Gemany those discs cost usual araound € 20,-- which is of corse a few more in $.

Dietrich

there are different prices, quite often fluctuating up and down, depending on availability, rarities,
who's sells, weather condition, mood of sale managers, etc.
here is a links to amazon US and amazon CA, so you can check for yourself.

DVDA at amazon USA http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...as=popular&field-keywords=dvd+audio&x=15&y=18

SACD at amazon USA http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=popular&field-keywords=sacd&rh=n:5174,k:sacd

DVDA at amazon CA http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=popular&field-keywords=dvd+audio&x=14&y=18

SACD at amazon CA http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...opular&field-keywords=sacd&rh=n:916514,k:sacd

Hi, I second the recommendation for Omega. They released two sq quad albums. Perhaps some others could be remixed if you made a deal. I don't know who owns the masters now but they originally recorded in Hungary, can't be an emi size company.
I third for Omega. Their quad albums (200 Years after the Last War, Omega III) were released by a German label, Bellaphon. Dietrich, I do encourage you to contact Bellaphon to discuss about the possibilities.

now an answer for different askes. By the way - those discussion may be imossible with people or managers from Universal, Sony Music, Warner etc. An advantage of an fan-own label.

grill:
I have looked to the prices of DVD's and DVD-Audios. But our productions one can not compare with stereo-CD's with a third publication. The $ 22,-- include also theair- mailing costs, which are from Germany to USA € 3,45. Special products like Rhino's "Aretha Franklin" without new costs of a real production have been also some expensive. And we have production costs for the band or the recording rough tape, the engineer, the GEMA, the duplication.

Quadfather
I am not sure, if for "Omega" exist by other fans also a big interess. But it would be a nice example. I can ask the label Bellaphon generally, how many are the costs of a studio recording rough tape of 16 tracks, when they would sell or lend it out for a re-mix of quadraphonic sound.

Diclord
We don't prefere a disc without menue.It was one of ther mistakes of the "big" companies, that their DVD-Audios has fussy menues. So our disc runs automaticalle in the right mode. I think, you have a home cinema. By ebay one can get a Pioneer multi-norm player for around $ 80. I have bought just one from the german Ebay to give this as present to Frank Valdor, so that he can listen at home often his "Hot Nights in Rio" in quadraphonic sound or a further quadraphonic remix of another production.

Dietrich

Dietrich
I would start by finding the band members. It did not take me long to find out they are still a band(Hungarian actually). Write them and see if they own the rights and would be interested in a hi rez multi channel release. You never know, they may lead you to somebody who was or is at Bellaphon. Start by getting hold of the band, they may have final say anyway.
now an answer for different askes. By the way - those discussion may be imossible with people or managers from Universal, Sony Music, Warner etc. An advantage of an fan-own label.

Quadfather
I am not sure, if for "Omega" exist by other fans also a big interess. But it would be a nice example. I can ask the label Bellaphon generally, how many are the costs of a studio recording rough tape of 16 tracks, when they would sell or lend it out for a re-mix of quadraphonic sound.

Dietrich

Dietrich, I'm Hungarian. Although I don't work in the music business please let me know if you need my help in getting closer to Omega.

Hello grill,
as I said, I ask as experiment Bellapohon, if they like to give us a license - and how many money they demand. But I say also, that the fans with special wishes should pay the money self, which may be $ 5,000,--. I pay not this sum. Because I may later sell only 3 discs. The only way is to support our activity. Looking for wonders from the big industry will by for years or ever for nothing. But you may do not. If not, after some time I stop the project, use my money only for me and my interests and let alone the fans with many dreams but without looking for real possibilities. But that is not the decion for actual, but during 2012, when we have released 5 or 6 further productions.
Dietrich

Actual our DVD-Audios are burned (DVDRs?). But they sound the same well as pressed. Pressed DVD's are unfortunately four times more expensive as by burned. When we have approximate sales of 250 pieces for each production and feel, that also the next will have the same numbers, we will also press the DVD-Audios. Each production cost € 4.000. So we need 250 sales to have only a balance of costs and earnings - without looking for a profit. We make our activity with the Quadro Surround label anyway by idealistic intensions. If we would have in future profits, we would take the money only for bigger productions. But now we are on beginning. DTS is also a well technic for surround and was taken for some DTS CD's. But present we work with Dolby digital. I have heard it too and the result is excellent.

Dietrich

Hi Dietrich.

You only need to have 300 titles made these days for replication to be a better deal than duplication, and replicated discs are forever whereas burned ones will degrade.
I'd also really, seriously advise utilizing DTS - the Video_TS portion should be Dolby Digital as stream #1 and DTS as stream #2 (perfectly legal for DVD-A/V Hybrids).

Are the surround mixes actual discrete remixes?

Hello Neil,

actual we have selled 3 DVD-A's to USA and 30 to really interested fans here in the circels of surround (?) fans (?).
I have hope, that some of the big firms will see, how "big" the interess is for new surround productions. By such a situation I don't pay additional around € 700,-- for pressed discs, which is actual only a bigger expense for nothing.
The now few listeners can have also a well sound by the burned dics. All is possible, but it needs also fans, who can see the chance with an "own" label.

Dietrich
Dietricvh

Dietrich,

Would you like me to post some 1 minute samples from the DVD-A you sent me?

Back