How do you like buy surround music?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you like your surround music to be packaged?

• All three SACD, DVD-A & Blu-ray Audio at $55

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
that's a good point. Why not have usb as well in our cars (I have a car DVDA player with USB capability). USB could easily support 5.1 playback of files such flac, etc. Let's go digital file playback in the car!
Mine does. That's how I connect the drives. There are slots for DVD/CD and SD.

A bit off-topic here, and remember, this is just a poll, if you prefer a format for whatever reason, that's good enough. No one says we all have to agree!:)

My Acura plays DVD-A (and CD), and I also have a 64Gb iPod sitting in there that is almost completely full with most of my CD collection. It's great! The titles and menu's appear on the NAVI screen, and having almost any song I can think of availalbe to play on a whim is great. I can even press a button, say "Play Artist Steely Dan" and it goes right to the tunes by Steely Dan! The car even plays them through a Dolby PLII decoder, which is how I find the "good titles" to try with SPEC. The car also will store music on an internal HD and I can also plug in a USB stick instead of the iPod to get music.

Still, the internal decoders for DTS and MLP/DVD-A are not within the audio routing path of the USB/HD/iPod inputs. I tried a USB stick with a DTS file, a Dolby Digital file, and the system does not recognize these files. You can load a DTS wav file onto an iPod as a wav file, but the car will not accept the wav playback as it does not go through the decoder.

It would be SWEET to fill up a 32Gb USB stick with DTS encoded audio files and keep them in the car, but it doesn't work (for me). So, I make my own DVD-A's and am happy. I know it's hard to believe, but I don't listen exclusively to surround music in the car. Believe me, those tunes on the iPod get plenty of play in the Acura! ;)

I selected Blu-ray and think it makes the most sense but unfortunately for whatever reason most Blu-ray surround releases are only included in expensive box sets which I can't afford. When the single Blu-ray disc is offered at $20 or less is when I will buy the release. I have been hoping for years the music companies would give surround another chance with Blu-ray but never dreamed it would only be included with a bunch of other stuff making the package too expensive.

I selected Blu-ray and think it makes the most sense but unfortunately for whatever reason most Blu-ray surround releases are only included in expensive box sets which I can't afford. When the single Blu-ray disc is offered at $20 or less is when I will buy the release. I have been hoping for years the music companies would give surround another chance with Blu-ray but never dreamed it would only be included with a bunch of other stuff making the package too expensive.
FWIW, I think the industry is hoping for the DVD craze of the 90s to happe in BD, just like it also happend for the music industry with cd. But, the elites have engineered a financial catastrophy so bad, they have little hope. Plus they are clueless about how to make something work by plan.. Think about it if there was a formula, everyone would use it.

I voted for SACD (hybrid). Blue Ray is a pain because one has to turn on the TV and go through the boot-up and all sorts of on-screen logos before getting down to business. DVD-A is more user friendly as the discs can be coaxed into playing without going through an on-screen menu. But I'll take Blue Ray any day if it means getting something like Aqualung in surround!

I voted for SACD (hybrid). Blue Ray is a pain because one has to turn on the TV and go through the boot-up and all sorts of on-screen logos before getting down to business. DVD-A is more user friendly as the discs can be coaxed into playing without going through an on-screen menu. But I'll take Blue Ray any day if it means getting something like Aqualung in surround!

BluRay Audio is easier to use than DVD-A.

Last edited:
"But I can't play it in my car..." sarcasm or humor perhaps. Anyway, SACD and/or DVD-A are fine with me, glad some of the latter are still coming out. No, I haven't embraced Blu yet and the slim pickings in actual "musical" discs (non-concert) isn't about to convince me. The movies I prefer probably won't see the light of day on BR either, many of them are not even available on DVD yet! So the impulse to embrace just isn't there....... John

Exactly like me

FWIW, I think the industry is hoping for the DVD craze of the 90s to happe in BD, just like it also happend for the music industry with cd. But, the elites have engineered a financial catastrophy so bad, they have little hope. Plus they are clueless about how to make something work by plan.. Think about it if there was a formula, everyone would use it.

Well it sure as hell worked on me. Drives my wife crazy when I won't buy or rent a movie that's not on Blu-Ray most of the time. :)

BluRay Audio is easier to use than DVD-A.

Kal,

Can you please expound on your statement? I just pop a DVD-A into my deck (Marantz 9600), let the disc start to play, hit "stop," and then hit "play." The 5.1 DVD-A layer then immediately begins to play. No on-screen display is needed in this process. I haven't had the same kind of luck with BR-A.

Thanks.

Kal,

Can you please expound on your statement? I just pop a DVD-A into my deck (Marantz 9600), let the disc start to play, hit "stop," and then hit "play." The 5.1 DVD-A layer then immediately begins to play. No on-screen display is needed in this process. I haven't had the same kind of luck with BR-A.

Thanks.
First, note that I am talking about BluRay-Audio (http://www.pureaudio-bluray.com/), not BD-V.
Second, I just pop one of these in the player, press play/enter and the default format (defined in my player's setup menu) plays.
Third, if I want to change to another format track (or I never set a default), I hit one of the 4 colored buttons on the remote to select what I want to hear.
No OSD needed.

I voted for Blu-Ray-A. Every day, more Blu-Ray players are sold and it appears to be where the market is headed. Blu-Ray-A w/CD would play everywhere, but I don't want to pay extra for a second disc. I have three vehicles. For one person? Yes, don't ask. I can play DVD-A in my convertible. The van will play DVD-V and my winter car only plays CD's. Since I buy so much software, it's not that important to play an individual piece everywhere. I like SACD hybrid because it will play anywhere and I don't have to go through menus or turn on the plasma. Still, DVD-A and Blu-Ray are technically better. To pick anything other than Blu-Ray would be the same mindset as buying a cassette at the introduction of car CD players. Am I that old? Hell, I remember when Quad was just a glimmer in an engineer's eye. In five years, all car players that can still play discs will offer Blu-Ray drives. I can't wait until my whole collection can be uploaded to satellitte. Of course, they'll charge me $50 a month to access all my own software.

Linda

Back