How do you like buy surround music?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you like your surround music to be packaged?

• All three SACD, DVD-A & Blu-ray Audio at $55

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mch007

400 Club - QQ All-Star
After getting quite a few big packages which includes surround, just like to know your preferences of getting surround music.
(oops type in the title, can't fix it)

Ideally? You'd get a package with the stereo CD and an extra either DVD or BR disc, and the whole thing would be priced between $20 and $30. The second ideal thing for me would a digital download at about $20 per title. If making a DVD available, I'd put a DVD-A and 24/96 DTS mix on it to make sure as many folks as possible are able to get a solid listen.

My personal preference is a Blu-ray. But for mass appeal either with a digital download (like Tom Petty) or a CD.

I'm also happy with CD/DVD-A combos or hybrid SACD discs.

Because I listen to surround A LOT in my car, I always prefer DVD-Audio. However, I have "all the stuff" to make DVD-Audio's out of BD, DVD-V, and can always just record an SACD at 24/96 to get the files (I don't have a PS3), so it's not like I'm locked in.

I think that the ideal carrier is a DVD/DVD-A, which would get the surround out to the most listeners and most system. After that, I'd go Blu-Ray. As far as SACD goes, I am always happy to see new 5.1 SACDs come around, but if I never saw another I would not shed a tear. To me, this is the most "Un-Friendly", unflexible surround format there is. If a listener does not have an 5.1 SACD player, they will never get to hear the surround mix - lossless or otherwise. Can't play 'em in the car, can't play 'em on the PC, can't play them in a regular DVD player (except in stereo).

I think WB got it right with the CD+DVD-A packages, like the Flaming Lips, Nash, Crosby, Browne, REMs, Morph, and Knopfler packages

albeit i can use any above mentioned formats, i went from point of view accesibility of the stored on plastic medium
audio streams by the majority of the general public in best possible quality. and that's would be BD.
at the moment blu ray players in household overwhelmingly more than universal DVDA and SACD players all together combined.
next to BD from point of universality and flexibility in adaptation to huge amount of different audio and video formats is a DVD.
and as Jon said earlier, i wouldn't feel sorrow if SACD just disappeared. this format since the introduction to mass market bring
nothing but mess and uncertainty for industry in which direction to move.

I voted for SACD.

I have no use for surround music in a vehicle since that would limit me to just certain vehicles that I wouldn't want to drive or an expensive custom installation.

Blu-ray is fine too, but not how they packaged that Petty disk.

At this point I think dvd-audio is obsolete and I'm surprised there's still some coming out. Rush, for example. I still will buy them of course, and just did.

CD and DVDA package always seemed to offer the best bang for the buck
SACD not really a starter for me
Blu ray offers a lot but i am not totally convinced and as yet have not bought a player though i have got a couple of discs in DVD/BR Combos which mean i would have something if I ever sprung for the hardware.
Must be one of teh few here who still has not heard 'Grace for drowning' in Surround.

But I can't play it in my car.

so, your approach sort of "i don't care how many listeners can acces high quality surround sound titles,
thus joining surround audio market as a consumer, if i cannot play those particular format in my car".

no wonder why surround has such hard way to the mass market, if ones, who consider themselves to be
loyal to surround, can't sacrifice own convenience for good of the surround sound on bigger scale.
that's sad :(

"But I can't play it in my car..." sarcasm or humor perhaps. Anyway, SACD and/or DVD-A are fine with me, glad some of the latter are still coming out. No, I haven't embraced Blu yet and the slim pickings in actual "musical" discs (non-concert) isn't about to convince me. The movies I prefer probably won't see the light of day on BR either, many of them are not even available on DVD yet! So the impulse to embrace just isn't there....... John

so, your approach sort of "i don't care how many listeners can acces high quality surround sound titles,
thus joining surround audio market as a consumer, if i cannot play those particular format in my car".

no wonder why surround has such hard way to the mass market, if ones, who consider themselves to be
loyal to surround, can't sacrifice own convenience for good of the surround sound on bigger scale.
that's sad :(

Is English your first language? Where did I write "i don't care how many listeners can acces high quality surround sound titles,
thus joining surround audio market as a consumer, if i cannot play those particular format in my car"?
For the record, I joined the "surround audio market as a consumer" BECAUSE my car could play DVD-A. If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Urban himself has said that car surround may yet save the format, to which I can relate. As for "loyal to surround", I'm not a member of any cult. I appreciate it greatly, am grateful for the handful of new releases each year, and am now driving my second car with 7.1 capabilities.
Yep, my preference for DVD over BD, which was the original question, sure hurts the "bigger scale" picture.
Sheesh.

english? not even a third language :)
i don't look to offend you or anyone on the personal level.
just like to have a chance to buy HiRes surround in quantity more than handful per year
and from much wider selection of artists and genres.
at present the cars with installed surround system doesn't have big influence, but on condition
of bigger sales of surround titles, manufacturers obviously will offer hardware which is able to play BD in cars

english? not even a third language :)
i don't look to offend you or anyone on the personal level.
just like to have a chance to buy HiRes surround in quantity more than handful per year
and from much wider selection of artists and genres.
at present the cars with installed surround system doesn't have big influence, but on condition
of bigger sales of surround titles, manufacturers obviously will offer hardware which is able to play BD in cars
Aren't there BD players for cars? Besides, it's not that hard to rip the wavs to burn onto a DVDA for car playback. Another issue I have with with car playback is not wanting to carry around original discs--the copies had watermarks preventing hi-rez playback. I don't think cars will save surround because playback is not ideal there.

Aren't there BD players for cars? Besides, it's not that hard to rip the wavs to burn onto a DVDA for car playback. Another issue I have with with car playback is not wanting to carry around original discs--the copies had watermarks preventing hi-rez playback. I don't think cars will save surround because playback is not ideal there.
Agreed. I never fully populated the 6disc changer in my old car but my new one accepts SD cards, flash drives, portable HD and has an HD resident. No surround but it better suits my needs than any disc-based system ever did or will. (It also has a DVD/CD player but that's not likely to be used.)

Kal

Agreed. I never fully populated the 6disc changer in my old car but my new one accepts SD cards, flash drives, portable HD and has an HD resident. No surround but it better suits my needs than any disc-based system ever did or will. (It also has a DVD/CD player but that's not likely to be used.)

Kal
that's a good point. Why not have usb as well in our cars (I have a car DVDA player with USB capability). USB could easily support 5.1 playback of files such flac, etc. Let's go digital file playback in the car!

Fwiw, my car's system plays homegrown DVDA including watermarked material.

Kal

both, DVD and BD, can be used as a storage for such kind of extras, like flac, wma, wmv, ac3, etc.
which very easy to transfer from disc to memory stick for use with mobile devices. but i'm not sure
about throught of industry, obsessed by copyright's paranoia.
at least my 2 sided DVDA "1812" from Telarc on the video side has an installation files for some kind
of software media player and folder with same audio stream but in mp3 format. there easily can be
stored any other audio formats.

Back