ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarkusnj

400 Club - QQ All-Star
On Sunday, Dec 11, Greg Lake had a live chat on his web site. He was asked if there was any chance of ELP's old material being released in 5.1 surround and Greg clearly stated that Sony music was releasing the ELP catalog in 5.1 surround very soon. If anyone can research this to verify that info, PLEASE post it! Sony Entertainment is the current owner of ELP's back catalog.

I rarely get excited about this sort of thing, but YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! About b****y time!!!!!!

Now all we need is the classic Yes albums...........

OD

PHP:
I rarely get excited about this sort of thing, but YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! About b****y time!!!!!!

Now all we need is the classic Yes albums...........

OD

We're getting the King Crimson catalog, hopefully ELP (y), and I agree Yes would be great too....

Here's the problem. What Greg Lake said and what the real deal is may be something completely different...I have experienced this before with him. He may have just said that to make the guy who asked the question happy. That is why I asked if anyone knows how to get any contact info for anyone in Sony who may be able to confirm this or shed some light on the situation.

If this really does happen, it will make me very happy! At least mix and release the first three albums (ELP, Tarkus, & Trilogy). No need to bother with the rest, especially since Brain Salad Surgery has already been mixed and released in 5.1

I really hope this one comes to be. BSS turned out very well in 5.1 and Trilogy would be awesome. Would really like "Welcome Back My Friends" to get done too - it was on the list back when Sanctuary had the catalogue.

Sony? This would be a first for them (well since their long discontinued SACD format multi-channel disks). So what would they use? Dolby Digital?

And how did ELP end up on the Sony label?

why they doing this?
if they can choose who's will re-release their catalog, isn't that mean they owns it?
cooperation with big record label is bad, cooperation with Sony, as much as twice bad.
they always was against DVDA, so we can't expect DVD-Audio.
for years now they have dumped SACD, so no expectation for SACD with surround layer.
ressurection of Dual Disc for sure not in sony's plans.
BD? not sure, but haven't seen BD-Audio from Sony yet and chances are very slim.
most likely, at best, Audio DVD with DTS.
anyway, as much as i like to have ELP's catalog in HiRes surround, DTS/DD out of my interest
and i wouldn't keep my breath for it anytime soon.

For sure Sony is an "arrogant" company...and that is a kind statement. I am not sure but haven't they released 5.1 SACD's this past year? I am not a big fan of SACD's because my cars both have DVD-Audio players in them and I do much of my listening on the road but hey, I will gladly welcome ELP's albums up to WBMFTTSTNE (including PAAE!) in any form of surround!

If some of us holded his breath from the first announcement of a WYWH SACD it would be dead by a long time... let's see if these do materialize in some form. Doesn't matter BR, SACD, DVDA, just release it in a hi-rez mch (4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 22.2) format... then "we can work it out" to our preferred kind of media. We're kinda used to that from ANY mch source! :)

I wonder if they can dig up the multitracks to Welcome Back My Friends. If any album of theirs needed a complete sonic overhaul, it's that one. Not sure it can be saved, though.

I wonder if they can dig up the multitracks to Welcome Back My Friends. If any album of theirs needed a complete sonic overhaul, it's that one. Not sure it can be saved, though.
I heard from a reliable source that the master tapes of WBMFTTSTNE cannot be found which, I believe, is the reason why Sanctuary never released it.

Yes, it was listed in a music magazine I believe somewhere between 2002-2004. Can't remember the exact year or month. The WBMF tapes are lost just like the entire taped Cal Jam performance is lost or was actually taped over due to tape costs back in those days.

That's a shame. Deep Purple released a fine looking and sounding DVD of their Cal Jam performance -- was that from a copy tape?

Yes, it was listed in a music magazine I believe somewhere between 2002-2004. Can't remember the exact year or month. The WBMF tapes are lost just like the entire taped Cal Jam performance is lost or was actually taped over due to tape costs back in those days.
so, the band which achieved success from their first album, didn't bring in enough cash, to recoup
expenses for tapes and poor, broken record industry was forced to reuse ones, already recorded?

damn! i'm crying. is anyone inhere to lend me couple bucks to buy box of tissues?

It was ABC, or so I have heard, that had re-used old tapes to record new shows over and this was done to the Cal Jam video tapes...sounds frugal but back in the early 70's, hey, I re-used cassette tapes over a few times!

Back