ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a newcomer to this forum, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the past ten pages of this thread!

The angst! the fury! the suspense! ;) I've read novels that were far less riveting.

Coming late to surround, I recall waiting for the TRILOGY surround release, but not having to wait too long. I'm stuck over my favorite ELP surround being TRILOGY or the ELP album -- "Just Take a Pebble" is sublime in surround!

Have there been any reports of playback issues with the Trilogy DVD-Audio disk? I hadn't played mine until yesterday, and it won't load on my Denon DVD-3930ci player. It wouldn't even show the menu screen. Thinking that it might be my aging player, I also tried it in my Pioneer BDP-05FD to listen to the DTS layer. It would load to the menu screen, but played at double the speed. I haven't tried Tarkus or ELP yet, and I have other players that I can try Trilogy on, but I don't want to find the same condition and get more pissed off. I really hate DVD-Audio. Between unreliable player firmware and wonky authoring preferences, I wish it had died in the format war.

Have there been any reports of playback issues with the Trilogy DVD-Audio disk? I hadn't played mine until yesterday, and it won't load on my Denon DVD-3930ci player. It wouldn't even show the menu screen. Thinking that it might be my aging player, I also tried it in my Pioneer BDP-05FD to listen to the DTS layer. It would load to the menu screen, but played at double the speed. I haven't tried Tarkus or ELP yet, and I have other players that I can try Trilogy on, but I don't want to find the same condition and get more pissed off. I really hate DVD-Audio. Between unreliable player firmware and wonky authoring preferences, I wish it had died in the format war.

No playback issues seen with any ELP DVD-A releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try cleaning the disc.

It was brand new, but I cleaned it anyway. It still won't load on my Denon DVD-Audio player. It tries to load, but just reverts to 'Stop' and no menu comes up. Same double-speed condition on my Pioneer Blu-ray player in DTS mode, BUT it plays fine in Dolby Digital ... although it plays fine on my Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD/DVD-Video player in DTS mode. It must be a defective disk because I tried Tarkus and ELP, and they both play fine on my Denon player.

It was brand new, but I cleaned it anyway. It still won't load on my Denon DVD-Audio player. It tries to load, but just reverts to 'Stop' and no menu comes up. Same double-speed condition on my Pioneer Blu-ray player in DTS mode, BUT it plays fine in Dolby Digital ... although it plays fine on my Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD/DVD-Video player in DTS mode. It must be a defective disk because I tried Tarkus and ELP, and they both play fine on my Denon player.

If it plays fine on that Sony player, then I think you've ruled out the possibility of a defective disc, haven't you? I think it's more of an issue of incompatibility for whatever reasons...

If it plays fine on that Sony player, then I think you've ruled out the possibility of a defective disc, haven't you? I think it's more of an issue of incompatibility for whatever reasons...

Not really. The Sony is NOT a DVD-Audio player. It is DVD-Video and SACD only, so it doesn't see any of the DVD-Audio information. I think the problem is in the DVD-Audio authoring.

Have you tried shutting down the DVDA menu default in your player and just playing the DTS V ? Just to see if the disc might not be the problem ?

I don't have a Denon but I know from time to time a player may "act up " . My pioneer 588 one day just decided to not read SACD any SACD stereo or multi .
I went into my player menu and on/off switched the defaults multiple times , but to no avail. Now this happened about 8 yrs ? back and lasted for approximately 9 months .
Then when I had truly given up and set my sites on a repair-----bingo , and for no ungodly fn reason SACD was reading once more----go figure .

All my DVDA's play though . And I think I had a delay on one or two but only once . Press eject , adjusted the disc in the tray a little and she plays .

Have you tried shutting down the DVDA menu default in your player and just playing the DTS V ? Just to see if the disc might not be the problem ?

I don't have a Denon but I know from time to time a player may "act up " . My pioneer 588 one day just decided to not read SACD any SACD stereo or multi .
I went into my player menu and on/off switched the defaults multiple times , but to no avail. Now this happened about 8 yrs ? back and lasted for approximately 9 months .
Then when I had truly given up and set my sites on a repair-----bingo , and for no ungodly fn reason SACD was reading once more----go figure .

All my DVDA's play though . And I think I had a delay on one or two but only once . Press eject , adjusted the disc in the tray a little and she plays .

As far as I can see, there is no such provision in the setup menu. All you can do is choose stereo or multichannel, but there is a fairly confusing HDMI screen. If that was the problem, I would think that the other disks wouldn't play either. I tried unplugging it for a few minutes, but that did nothing. It also doesn't help to eject the disk and reload it. I think I will try restoring the factory defaults, then unplug it for a bit and see if that does anything.

EDIT: I was able to find the setup option to switch from DVD-Audio to DVD-Video, and Trilogy plays in the Denon's Video mode. I really hate DVD-Audio.

Last edited:
As far as I can see, there is no such provision in the setup menu. All you can do is choose stereo or multichannel, but there is a fairly confusing HDMI screen. If that was the problem, I would think that the other disks wouldn't play either. I tried unplugging it for a few minutes, but that did nothing. It also doesn't help to eject the disk and reload it. I think I will try restoring the factory defaults, then unplug it for a bit and see if that does anything.

EDIT: I was able to find the setup option to switch from DVD-Audio to DVD-Video, and Trilogy plays in the Denon's Video mode. I really hate DVD-Audio.

I'm sorry you have problems with this disc, personnally I love DVD-Audio because it is easy to rip on a computer. Have you maybe tried that as a last resort?

Jakko was asked about future ELP 5.1 mixes on Twitter, and here was his response:
I was asked about ‘the works’ but when I told them that there are over 100 multi tracks in the archive for that album & they worked out how much that would cost to transfer to digital, I never heard from them again. Oh, & 1 track was missing altogether. Fanfare for the Common Man!

(n) for Fanfare's missing tapes...

Jakko was asked about future ELP 5.1 mixes on Twitter, and here was his response:

(n) for Fanfare's missing tapes...

Multi-tracks for "Fanfare" may not have ever even existed. In the Wikipedia entry for the song, Greg Lake is quoted as saying:

It was just wonderful how it came about: We were recording in Montreux, Switzerland, in 1976, and Keith was playing it as a piece of classical music. I played this shuffle bass line behind him and all of a sudden it started to connect. Then Carl came in and we three started to play it. Luckily, the engineer had a two-track running, and that is what’s on the record - the first time we played through the piece.

We got a very ‘live’ dirty R & B sound that was really incredible. And all done with one microphone. We hadn’t played together for quite a while before that, apart from rehearsals and stuff. 'Fanfare' was thoroughly jammed, from top to bottom.

Yeah, I have recollections of reading about Fanfare way back when, being recorded straight off the floor. I suspect Greg was exaggerating a bit about just how spontaneous it all was, but listening to the sound and mix it's easy to believe it's a "live in the studio" track.

Okay, reading again - is it sadder that there are so many reels of stuff from the sessions that may have made for a very interesting release, or that they cannot find a tape that may not have existed in the first place. Focus people (ELP and record company crew)

Get it done - do what can with what you have and if means an upmix of Fanfare then just go with it and do the best you can - if it was good enough for persnickety Fripp with Poseidon tracks then it not ought to be a problem here. Whomever this month's owner of the catalogue is surely must realize they can't do much without offering something new, and hours of tapes from the Works era should be enough to get the ball rolling.

Here, I'll make it easier (and less expensive) for them:

Just transfer the multis for the Piano Concerto, and Pirates. Remix in surround.

Release that (plus upmixed Fanfare -- which btw sounds like it has maybe an overdub or two, and was probably edited) as the next surround ELP album.

Here, I'll make it easier (and less expensive) for them:

Just transfer the multis for the Piano Concerto, and Pirates. Remix in surround.

Release that (plus upmixed Fanfare -- which btw sounds like it has maybe an overdub or two, and was probably edited) as the next surround ELP album.

Even easier than that, remix "Pirates" and release it as a surround sound download, and for those of us who purchased the "Fanfare" box, it should be a free download.

;)

Back