ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for this article. That's all I can say. You most surely have created this blog into some thing specific. You clearly know what that you are performing, you have covered so many bases.Thanks!

Thank you for this article. That's all I can say. You most surely have created this blog into some thing specific. You clearly know what that you are performing, you have covered so many bases.Thanks!

Looks like we may only have to wait a few more months for these 5.1 releases. Check out what I found on the official ELP website:

newsitem11.jpg

BTW, I assume when it says the first six albums they mean: ELP, Tarkus, Pictures, Trilogy, BSS, and Welcome Back.

The BSS mix I did was a stereo mix down from the BSS DVD-A disc. The WBMF was DVD-A and it took me months of work to clean it up. It contained a Dolby Digital layer also that did not contain the slide show.

I have a copy of this work, this person deserves a chance to be heard. I use this disc
to show off my systems stereo capability. I can't put into words how good it is.
But he really did a great job!

Looks like we may only have to wait a few more months for these 5.1 releases. Check out what I found on the official ELP website:

View attachment 4794

BTW, I assume when it says the first six albums they mean: ELP, Tarkus, Pictures, Trilogy, BSS, and Welcome Back.

5.1 would be nice, but so far there said nothing about re-mix, not touching topic of lossless HiRes audio.
seems Razor & Tie didn't had any surround releases so far. assuming this, most likely that "deluxe" back
catalog just mean bunch of "re-mastered by re-compression" CDs, some booklet and perhaps a DVD with
crappy quality footage back from band's time.

5.1 would be nice, but so far there said nothing about re-mix, not touching topic of lossless HiRes audio.
seems Razor & Tie didn't had any surround releases so far. assuming this, most likely that "deluxe" back
catalog just mean bunch of "re-mastered by re-compression" CDs, some booklet and perhaps a DVD with
crappy quality footage back from band's time.

That is true that there's been no mention of 5.1 in that little blurb, but Greg Lake himself said it's happening via a Q&A he did two months ago:

dschwy5: I've seen in previous interviews references to your love of audiophile equipment and your interest in surround formats. Any chance of new high resolution surround mixes of your solo or ELP material? I love the SACD and the DVD-A releases of Brain Salad Surgery. Blu-Ray audio releases of other material would be great!
Greg Lake: SONY ARE JUST ABOUT TO RELEASE ALL OF THE ORIGINAL ELP RECORDING IN 5.1. PERSONALLY I AM A BIGGER FAN OF TRUE QUADRAPHONIC.

http://greglake.com/interact_live.html

Razor & Tie is an unlikely candidate for a surround re-issue but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong. Just as an aside, their biggest selling title is the KidzBop series - rock for the pre K crowd.

Razor & Tie is an unlikely candidate for a surround re-issue but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong. Just as an aside, their biggest selling title is the KidzBop series - rock for the pre K crowd.

Razor & Tie is the label for Dar Williams who had 2 of her albums come out on dvd-a, though that was through Silverline IIRC.

How many times can the ELP catalogue change hands? And was it not said that Shout Factory would be doing a whole series of live discs? I remember the number 10 being mentioned, but I think only 3 have come out so far?

Razor & Tie is the label for Dar Williams who had 2 of her albums come out on dvd-a, though that was through Silverline IIRC.

How many times can the ELP catalogue change hands? And was it not said that Shout Factory would be doing a whole series of live discs? I remember the number 10 being mentioned, but I think only 3 have come out so far?

Yes those titles were licensed to Silverline for DVD A back in 2004. Razor & Tie are a nice indie label that at the time was distributed via BMG, then SonyBMG, then Sony via it's "indie" distribution partner RED. R&T had no interest at all in surround - that's why Dar was licensed to Silverline as part of the whole DVD Audio partnership (5.1 Entertainment(Silverline), EMI. BMG, WEA & Sony) that led to the whole DualDisc debacle - better that we not go there.

dschwy5: I've seen in previous interviews references to your love of audiophile equipment and your interest in surround formats. Any chance of new high resolution surround mixes of your solo or ELP material? I love the SACD and the DVD-A releases of Brain Salad Surgery. Blu-Ray audio releases of other material would be great!

Greg Lake: SONY ARE JUST ABOUT TO RELEASE ALL OF THE ORIGINAL ELP RECORDING IN 5.1. PERSONALLY I AM A BIGGER FAN OF TRUE QUADRAPHONIC.
http://greglake.com/interact_live.html

sadly the tracking of the past of Sony doesn't give any reason to hold our breath in expectation.
DVD-Audio was enemy # uno for them, so can't be even talk about 5.1 on DVDA
SACD - abandoned by it's mother child
Dual Disc - R.I.P. for about fifth year now
BD-Audio - there was an experimental disc some years ago, probably as a part of BD vs. HD confrontation.
that's all, so far Sony haven't show any interest to such format.

This must be the third or fouth distribution deal ELP have had this decade, I ahve only bought ELP albums in teh last few years and i ahve them on warners Universal Sony and now it would seem Razor and tie

http://www.razorandtie.com/news/legendary-prog-rockers-emerson-lake-palmer-razor-tie-announce-exclusive-new-catalog-partnership

These are the only two important bits. First is a rehash of what is on ELP's website but we do get clarification which albums will be first to be reissued.

A full catalogue re-issue campaign will kick off later this year with the release of newly expanded, re-mastered, editions of the band's first six albums: Emerson, Lake and Palmer (1970- Studio Album), Tarkus (1971- Studio Album), Pictures At An Art Exhibition (1971- Live Album), Trilogy (1972- Studio Album), Brain Salad Surgery (1973- Studio Album), and Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends - Ladies & Gentlemen (1974- Live Album).

Razor & Tie will actively seek licensing opportunities for the catalog and set up a new direct to consumer store which will feature an array of newly created limited-edition items.

The newest Classic Rock Presents Prog magazine also confirms that deluxe editions of the albums ELP, Tarkus, and Trilogy are all due later this year. No mention of BSS, Pictures, or Welcome Back though.
(Actually still no mention of 5.1 for any of the albums...)

Oooooh.....now that's potentially some *very* good news! Not just for the 5.1 mixes either, but also the stereo mixes - maybe they'll get the "Tull/Crimson" treatment!

OK - Now I'm offically very interested... lets hope for Blu-ray or DVD-A - please please pleeeaaase...

Back