ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVen if they're DTS, maybe Burning Shed will sell a HiRez unencoded 5.1 download

I don't get going "Hi-Rez" on the new stereo mixes but not on the 5.1 mixes. The cost differential can't be much if you are already using DVD-A for the former. <G> John

I am pretty sure you can put high-res stereo on a DVD-Video. Thick as a Brick 2, for example, had 24bit/48kHz stereo and it is only DVD-Video. I am not sure if 24/96k is possible.

Brad

I've pre-ordered via Burning Shed......I don't get going "Hi-Rez" on the new stereo mixes but not on the 5.1 mixes. The cost differential can't be much if you are already using DVD-A for the former. At least that is how it appears from the DVD description at this point. Anyone on a personal, first name basis with Steven Wilson to confirm the 5.1 format? <G> John

I was just about to pull the trigger on these also from Burning Shed when i saw the $15.25 ea price....then i saw it would cost $9.75ea for shipping to the USA..ouch!
Holding off for now but will most likely end up paying the $50 somewhere...Looking fwd to these awesome releases and hope eventually they do the same with Trilogy...

Tim

I was just about to pull the trigger on these also from Burning Shed when i saw the $15.25 ea price....then i saw it would cost $9.75ea for shipping to the USA..ouch!

Yeah, I really like to order from Burning Shed, but in this case it is much cheaper to order from amazon.co.uk. The shipping cost is much less.

I am pretty sure you can put high-res stereo on a DVD-Video. Thick as a Brick 2, for example, had 24bit/48kHz stereo and it is only DVD-Video. I am not sure if 24/96k is possible.

Brad

24/96 5.1 DTS is possible on DVD-Video. The Bowie "Young Americans" is presented that way.

24/96 5.1 DTS is possible on DVD-Video. The Bowie "Young Americans" is presented that way.

Agreed. That is possible because DTS is lossy compression.

In my above comment, I was referring to PCM. I know stereo 24bit/48kHz PCM is possible on DVD-Video, but I am not sure if stereo 24bit/96kHz is possible on DVD-Video. I suspect not. I am sure there are others on here that know for sure.

BTW... I see this comment on the Burning Shed description. It must have recently been added:

We believe the mixes to be LPCM Stereo and DTS 5.1

No details are given such as sample rate or sample size, so this isn't terribly useful, but it does hint that is is DVD-Video and not DVD-Audio.

...... I know stereo 24bit/48kHz PCM is possible on DVD-Video, but I am not sure if stereo 24bit/96kHz is possible on DVD-Video. I suspect not. I am sure there are others on here that know for sure.

You can have Stereo LPCM 96/24 on a DVD-V.

In my above comment, I was referring to PCM. I know stereo 24bit/48kHz PCM is possible on DVD-Video, but I am not sure if stereo 24bit/96kHz is possible on DVD-Video. I suspect not. I am sure there are others on here that know for sure.

yes, it is possible and there are lot of Audio DVDs with 96/24 PCM
it just some folk doesn't see much sense to utilise 96KHz for old analog source which in fact was recorded
on less advanced equipment back in their time.

Agreed. That is possible because DTS is lossy compression.

BTW... I see this comment on the Burning Shed description. It must have recently been added:

No details are given such as sample rate or sample size, so this isn't terribly useful, but it does hint that is is DVD-Video and not DVD-Audio.

apologies, I misread and thought you were referring to 5.1 24/96 on DVDV, which is indeed only possible via lossy DTS.
Stereo 24/96 is in DVDV spec, as Lizard King said.

There's a foggy memory in the back of my mind that you can potentially also author a DVDV in 5.1 LPCM where the front channels are 24/96 if you lower the bit-rate/frequency of the rear channels to something like 16/48 but I'm sure Neil Wilkes or any number of QQ-ers with more knowledge than me can chip in and no doubt correct me as I'm really not sure, I'm probably wrong!?

Isn't the Al Green Greatest Hits DVDA a bit of an oddity for the format in being an LPCM jobby?
I think it may be only 24/48 but still I'm not sure if it could have fit on a DVDV!? Again probably not.

Maybe I missed it but are these going to be released as domestic product at all? Everything I have seen seems to be an import.

When a record label says "HiRes" it could be anything from 44/24 like the Beatles USB (they called that HiRes)
to an MLP track (don't hold your breath).
If I had to settle... I'll take a 96/24 DTS... hell a 48/24 DTS over Dulby only.
But I fear it gonna be AC3 and that's all. :(

I'm vote number 125.

Here's my post to whoevers gonna read this stuff, fwiw..

"Such landmark albums deserve high-resolution presentations.

If these new reissues turn out to be in a lossy format, like Dolby Digital, Sales will be seriously affected by collectors, audiophiles and surround sound enthusiasts choosing not to purchase them, on the basis of sheer sound quality.

Sony Legacy should strongly consider utilising Sony's own Super Audio CD format for these and all future Sony Legacy releases in High Resolution and/or 5.1 Surround Sound.

Sony's consumer electronics division now includes Super Audio CD playback in all it's Blu-Ray players and there are many millions of Universal DVD & Blu-Ray players in homes around the world, from the likes of Pioneer, Oppo, Sharp, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, etc.. that all playback Super Audio CD (SACD).

The timing for Sony Legacy to start producing SACDs of their reissue series, when the content in High Resolution or 5.1 Surround Sound demands, couldn't be better.

Thank you for listening. If you listen to us, more of us will listen to your product."

there's an obvious angle I didn't explore, purposefully and that is of course the SACD format would have turned this into a One Disc package, rather than a 3..

and one disc that does it all still doesn't look as impressive to less-enlightened buyers or fans in a fancy "Deluxe/Special/Legacy/Super-dooper Edition" where buyers expect multiple discs.

Back